Hurricane Dorian talk

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Anyone who may want to monitor the situation as Hurricane Dorian heads to the Bahamas can listen to the "traffic" net here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzY2cTzALAY&feature=youtu.be

Cool... heard some guy say that winds on the ground were only 100 miles per hour... vs the higher elevation reports of 180... still significant... but hopefully they won't get the higher levels... now if this thing could just move on and not sit on top of them

1 hour ago, gonole1972 said:

From latest sat in looks like Coco Cay is getting a direct hit.  I would hope and expect RCCL planned for this kind of hurricane.  We have been there 2 times and I took note of the structures and it looked to me (as a Floridian) that it is will take the hit.   Wonder about storm surge though.  

image.png.6c774f1a10e977cfddbc4aad509a56d4.png

Zoom in and you will see it is not getting a direct hit. The eye of the hurricane is passing north of Coco Cay. The extreme winds are localized to within a few miles of the eye. Coco Cay is outside that area. Yes, they will get a lot of rain and a lot of wind. No, they will not get 180 MPH, not even close. A small portion of the Bahamas will see catastrophic damage. The majority of the Bahamas will see much less severe impacts, if any at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Zoom in and you will see it is not getting a direct hit. The eye of the hurricane is passing north of Coco Cay. The extreme winds are localized to within a few miles of the eye. Coco Cay is outside that area. Yes, they will get a lot of rain and a lot of wind. No, they will not get 180 MPH, not even close. A small portion of the Bahamas will see catastrophic damage. The majority of the Bahamas will see much less severe impacts, if any at all.

I agree, it looks to me that the storm is already north of Coco Cay and would have to take a turn south to hit Coco Cay.

15 minutes ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

From the National Hurricane Center today at 11AM:

Dorian has grown larger in size. Hurricane-force winds extend
outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the center and tropical-storm-
force winds extend outward up to 140 miles (220 km).

I would imagine even if Cococay structure doesn't suffer any damage. The cleanup from Storm Surge would take awhile. I highly doubt anyone will be able to enjoy CocoCay in the next week as some hoped for earlier in this thread. I went through Harvey and Ike here in Houston,  and Ike did tremendous damage to Galveston with just 75 to 80 mph winds. It really only take winds above 60mph to do damage. 

Edited by Jzx1103

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You really think you're sailing Wednesday 🤔

I don't think we are 😥

Don’t think we are either. Just listening to the noon announcement from the bridge, and they’re working on a plan b already, and letting passengers who want to get off the ship today that they are bringing Mexican customs people onboard at 3 pm to process anyone who needs to leave. My best guess is 2 days of cruising, San Juan, st Maarten (to refuel), and two days cruising back to pc on 9/8 is what plan b looks like.

i also think that mariner (now docked next to us), is carrying supplemental provisions for us so we have enough of everything to stay out until next Sunday. -

44 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I agree, it looks to me that the storm is already north of Coco Cay and would have to take a turn south to hit Coco Cay.

Coco cay is at the same latitude as great abaco, and great abaco is predicted to take a direct hit.

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Coco cay is at the same latitude as great abaco, and great abaco is predicted to take a direct hit.

The eye is now over Marsh Harbour and Elbow Cay.  Coco Cay is 71 miles (115 KM) to the south and will be spared the worst of it.

Marsh Harbour  26.5242° N, 77.0910° W

Coco Cay  25.8179° N, 77.9389° W

data=DCrrRvFUC4u0YXxZagXxMvTkCYWbU4rK_n70JCKV_3RbDi4OwA5JkMLz4Ceu7az3ytYwT7twTFHIdYGEHS5WWvWkCPgF4WwM6yxgTV5OvdCLdDR4iqzLwNL5xjzNMlK-3oQqEjLMEn1TESnnb5y44qtC5XVfczzPGryC9qY1macvKlIH4j9uSOSyZZ_Y-jdtxGreq0HgVmEkS9b2GiUlyg_m2KdS2h5fk5kukAu7SmA1dYBDIkMyZY7eeASEEcX0jr8OTw

Edited by Tagsalong
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

CoCo Cay will still be there, they have been through 100 hurricanes and they are still there.  They will not get the 150mph winds since they are on the West/SouthWest side of the storm, Grand Bahama and Nassau will get more of it.  Wind and water cleanup and replanting will fix it.  I am planning a great day in Coco Cay next week. 

No way in the world you are going to Coco Cay next week.  Sorry.  I am doubtful it will be up and running for my cruise in late October.  A category 5 hurricane hitting the Abacos is no joke.  Yes, the island will still be there.  But it will need to be rebuilt

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

Uh, probably not being cocky when YOU post about drinking mojitos :classic_wink: Just sayin...

Nope, it was cocky, rude and inconsiderate. As was your post..... And talk is just that............talk.  Only a few people on these boards know me at all...and getting in the spirit of things in a blog discussion doesn't have anything to do with a person's life or reality.  A lot of facetious and erroneous things are said on these boards.  That doesn't make them fact.  But some people  just like to be rude where they are anonymous.  You seem to be one of them.  No skin off my nose.  You may say anything you like.  And stir the pot all you want.

6 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Ok there are 26 pages here, and a million comments so I', not going through all of them. Where is Coco Cay in relation to where the storm is? Is it to the south of the main island of the Bahamas? Is it expected to take a full on direct hit? RCI must have thought of all this before they built it, I'm sure they have plans in place for kind of thing.

Right in the red zone about 60 miles south west of the eye

tropical1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

No way in the world you are going to Coco Cay next week.  Sorry.  I am doubtful it will be up and running for my cruise in late October.  A category 5 hurricane hitting the Abacos is no joke.  Yes, the island will still be there.  But it will need to be rebuilt

We will see..........I'm good with whatever they decide.

Edited by BecciBoo

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Don’t think we are either. Just listening to the noon announcement from the bridge, and they’re working on a plan b already, and letting passengers who want to get off the ship today that they are bringing Mexican customs people onboard at 3 pm to process anyone who needs to leave. My best guess is 2 days of cruising, San Juan, st Maarten (to refuel), and two days cruising back to pc on 9/8 is what plan b looks like.

i also think that mariner (now docked next to us), is carrying supplemental provisions for us so we have enough of everything to stay out until next Sunday. -

Is cruising to Houston (arriving Tuesday or Wednesday) an option?  Let people off there?  Yes, I know it runs afoul of the  Maritime Merchants Act.   But don’t they give waivers for unusual circumstances?

3 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Is cruising to Houston (arriving Tuesday or Wednesday) an option?  Let people off there?  Yes, I know it runs afoul of the  Maritime Merchants Act.   But don’t they give waivers for unusual circumstances?

If you mean the Passenger Vessel Services Act, yes, there are provisions for emergencies.

19 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

Maybe. But can see if worst happens it will return as regular stop lot sooner without the new Part. Thats way operated for 25yrs since first time was there. I actualy enjoyed Coco Cay and Labadee more as rustic Tender stop. Even back first time went to Labadee in 80's had no Tenders, no Buildings except Rest Room. No PWC's or locals selling their wares. Now if was taking my Grand kids they's been looking forward to a fully up and running Coco Cay...

14 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

A lot of facetious and erroneous things are said on these boards. 

Among them, comments about how this is no different from 100's of hurricanes in the Bahamas. And accusing people who are worried about the damage of just loving the drama.

The strongest hurricane on record for the NW Bahamas (and one of the 10 strongest in the entire Atlantic),  with storm surge of 18 to 23 feet in an island chain that is in many places 6 to 25 feet above sea level, tropical force winds out 140 miles from the center, and wind gusts up to 220 mph--you don't quite get the concern?

• Like 3