Hurricane Dorian talk

14 hours ago, BixBebe said:

Dorian just roared back to a Cat 2 as it approaches Halifax. 😩 I might have to dip into my storm chips (and rum) early! I hear all cruise ships have diverted from planned stops here Saturday and Sunday. Probably very wise. This one just won’t quit. 

I am just to your south in Downeast Maine on the coast. We had our hurricane party last night with fresh steamed lobster and plenty of wine! 🍷 

Rain has been steady to heavy since 3 am, just now getting the gusts of wind.  It's coming to you...batten down and stay safe! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am just to your south in Downeast Maine on the coast. We had our hurricane party last night with fresh steamed lobster and plenty of wine! 🍷 

Rain has been steady to heavy since 3 am, just now getting the gusts of wind.  It's coming to you...batten down and stay safe! 

Thanks! The wind is picking up and there are some power outages already. Still looking like a direct hit on Halifax this afternoon/evening. There are voluntary evacuations for coastal communities. Our hatches are battened and we’re hunkering today. Haligonians still have our sense of humour though! 

61EBD7FE-3C95-44AF-9526-9E444D223EDC.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BixBebe said:

Thanks! The wind is picking up and there are some power outages already. Still looking like a direct hit on Halifax this afternoon/evening. There are voluntary evacuations for coastal communities. Our hatches are battened and we’re hunkering today. Haligonians still have our sense of humour though! 

61EBD7FE-3C95-44AF-9526-9E444D223EDC.jpeg

Yes indeed you do!  Thanks for the morning laugh!!  😄  Stay safe.  

• Like 1

I guess those of us traveling in a couple of weeks need to keep an eye out for the next storm.... saw this from James Van Fleet.... looks like another likely hurricane heading towards the Caribbean.... This the 5 year in a row we have sailed during Sept-Oct time frame... been lucky so far....hope our luck holds.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.51.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.53.44 AM.png

For a real view on the ground, check out the webcam of Merlin The Talking Parrot in the Museum Of The Atlantic in Halifax.  You can hear the rain lashing outside the window but he seems in good spirits, chatting away and saying "peek-a-boo".  Also the occasional happy squawk.  

Stay safe Halifax and all of Atlantic Canada and see you soon!

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/merlin-the-talking-parrot/

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Friends of ours on their way back from Greenland got diverted to Quebec before being able to return to their home port in Boston I think. Hopefully they are home by now. 

Serenade is not getting to Boston until Wednesday, which is one day late.  They skipped Sydney and Halifax.  They went to Sept-Iles, Quebec yesterday and are still there now.

Edited by reallyitsmema

On 9/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, CRUISEFOUR said:

Looks like Navigator is at Coco Cay today. Would love to get a report and/or pics of the current condition from anybody on board. 

There are a couple of FB pages where people have been posting pictures from the past two days.  Everything looks great.  I think the only thing not operating is the balloon.  Mariner and Empress are there today.

Edited by CruisinCrow

On 9/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, Coralc said:

Your house looks highly flammable (just from alcohol) ReneeFLL! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Shhh! I don't even want to think about it. That's a scary thought. 🙀

On 9/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, Host Star said:

several years ago just prior to a storm the barefoot windjammer cruise brought the passengers in... dropped them off and went back out to sea only to be lost at sea... the decision was that the ship would be safer at sea than at the dock.. all crew was lost in that storm

1998. It was a bad year for hurricanes. Mike was captain of the plane that brought the passengers back to Miami. The charter company was Miami Air. The same one that flies the Marlins and other sports teams. I still think of the ship and crew some times. 😥

That was also the same year Hurricane Georges went thru the Dominican Republic. Pan Am (what we called the "New Pan Am") did a charity relief flight with the Sammy Sosa Organization. I was the first one to get a baseball signed and he wrote Sammy Sosa  HR #66 on it. After he saw the other balls come out he only wrote his name on them. 😁 

I'm not bald, I only looked that way. The airport was damaged with no taxi lights or power (that's another story), parts of the roof was missing and the water was coming in so we were partially soaked.

20190909_060047.jpg

On 9/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, Coralc said:

Your house looks highly flammable (just from alcohol) ReneeFLL! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

I just realized there are a couple of bottles of whiskey in the pictures. We aren't big whiskey drinkers and they are at least 20+ years old. Mike changed airlines in 2000. When Mike would fly to Scotland with the charter company they would give the captain of the plane a bottle of whiskey. Usually Glenfiddich or Johnnie Walker. We also had a small collection of those, but usually gave them out as gifts. Any one know if they would even still be good? I know they age booze, but that's still in the barrels.

I just got to thinking that I can't believe we have stuff that old under there. Time flies when you're having fun. 😁  Maybe we need to drink more!  jk

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 9/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, SeaHunt said:

I just saw this picture of a Halifax Costco - looks like no way Dorian will be turning away so here's wishing you the best of luck with minimal after storm problems! 

Halifax.jpg

I quoted a picture for effect. 

Similar lines here on Thursday after stores opened with people returning their pre storm purchases. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, kearney said:

I guess those of us traveling in a couple of weeks need to keep an eye out for the next storm.... saw this from James Van Fleet.... looks like another likely hurricane heading towards the Caribbean.... This the 5 year in a row we have sailed during Sept-Oct time frame... been lucky so far....hope our luck holds.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.51.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.53.44 AM.png

Yep.  Watch this one.  Question is if it will turn and follow Gabriele or continue on its merry way and tail Dorian, or just truck on westward.

Should know more later in the week. but doesn't appear to be a threat to this week's sailings and maybe next week's too.