Still, why can't I leave my balcony door open at night?

If keeping the balcony door open is so important to you. Perhaps you should consider a freighter/cargo cruise? Aranui allowed us to keep the balcony door open probably because we could not control the A/C so perhaps other freighter/cargo cruises have the same allowances.

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If keeping the balcony door open is so important to you. Perhaps you should consider a freighter/cargo cruise? Aranui allowed us to keep the balcony door open probably because we could not control the A/C so perhaps other freighter/cargo cruises have the same allowances.

Or they could take a cruise on the Alaska Marine Highway where they let you tent camp on deck.

image.png.9562bc1560d3924e9afa588bbc052c05.png

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Nope. You are wrong again...... My guess is that you never book balcony cabins towards the front of the ship and have never experienced this soothing sound. 

From so many of his posts filled with incorrect advice on other threads I wonder if he has ever been on a cruise ship at all!

Edited by sloopsailor

I really miss the good old days of cruising.

From the White Star Line Passage Contract (1892):

All passengers are liable to be rejected, who, upon examination, are found to be lunatic, idiot, deaf, dumb, blind, maimed, or infirm, or above the age of 60 years;

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Donald said:

I really miss the good old days of cruising.

From the White Star Line Passage Contract (1892):

All passengers are liable to be rejected, who, upon examination, are found to be lunatic, idiot, deaf, dumb, blind, maimed, or infirm, or above the age of 60 years;

Well, that would eliminate about 80% of today's passengers!  😀😀😀

17 hours ago, Donald said:

Amazed,

Don't quit your day job.

Most mass market cruisers do not pay "thousands for a 14 day cruise" in a balcony cabin.

Most pay hundreds (industry average is around $650) for a 7 day cruise in a balcony cabin.

When it comes to many mass market cruisers, $5 extra per day is a serious deal breaker.

Mass market lines would never even consider such a thing.

There are also numerous scientific reports about diesel fumes being carcinogenic. One of the best ways to breathe them is through an open balcony door when the wind is just right.

I need to talk to my TA :)

Anyway, $5 dollar is what I'd be willing to spend. But based on what Chengkp75 said, it guessed the actual cost would be 50 cents. If that's a deal breaker for the average cruiser, only offer it on decks on ships where you do pay thousands. 

At home the wind doesn't have to be just right. Living in a city is unhealthy already.

17 hours ago, akcruz said:

But per your calculations it's $5 a night if all contribute, I personally have no desire to pay for thus "service".  If you are one of a few supporting it the cost skyrockets.  While I very much enjoy sitting on my balcony I do so with the door closed.  When I am inside the cabin the door is also closed with, depending on where and when we are cruising, the a/c on.  While I am sleeping I can't hear the ocean, wind or whatever it is that's making the noise so no need to have the door open, especially in the more humid environments.

If you want to sleep outside or with the doors open maybe it's time for a smaller ship, or personal vessel where you can do so without inconveniencing your fellow passengers??  If you are sailing on a mass market ship time to conform and follow the rules. Can't believe with the explanations from a ship engineer you are still pressing the issue. SMH.

It's not $5 a night, it's $0.50. That's less than a single beer for the whole cruise.

Obviously I do follow the rules, I wouldn't be asking otherwise.

What if I proposed stabilizers? Stabilizers aren't free. They probably add to fuel costs, are expensive to install in the first place and need repairs, too. I have no idea how much that would be per passenger/night, but divided by the number of passengers who actually care for them it could skyrocket. Personally I have no desire for that service, either. Yet, the ships have stabilizers.

18 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What needs to be subtracted: complaints and the cost that goes with those.

How many times have you heard of folks getting any compensation for inadequate AC?  Very few.  How many have said, they complained, the ship sent up a tech, who measured the cabin temperature at 72*F and told them there was nothing to be done?  Quite a lot, because that is the industry standard for room temperature guarantee.  Only when there is a systemic, ship-wide, multi-day problem with AC will there start to be talk of compensation.

18 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

here are certainly savings in the form of not having crew handling a/c complaints and arguing with passengers who "paid for their cruise, and it's their door now, and none of your business", not having complaints about the a/c failure and no reviews saying "we paid for a balcony but don't expect to be able to listen to the sea".

What savings comes from not having the crew handling complaints?  The crew are paid the same whether they are handling complaints or sitting around drinking coffee.  Losses of future revenue due to possible complaints are intangible losses, and I don't know of many companies that would front loads of capital to prevent intangible losses.

I just don't believe that cruise lines would wish to make an all ready complicated system even more complicated just to satisfy a few passengers who wish to sleep with their balcony door open, and class may even have a problem with this, since this defeats the positive pressure in the cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What if I proposed stabilizers? Stabilizers aren't free. They probably add to fuel costs, are expensive to install in the first place and need repairs, too. I have no idea how much that would be per passenger/night, but divided by the number of passengers who actually care for them it could skyrocket. Personally I have no desire for that service, either. Yet, the ships have stabilizers.

Trust me, if you traveled on a ship without stabilizers (and despite the many claims here on CC that stabilizers "aren't working" or "weren't used", they are used almost all the time in rough seas), that in truly rough seas you would be begging for stabilizers.  Cruisers are pretty soft when it comes to rough weather, but a "stiff" ship like a cruise ship would snap roll you across your stateroom in even moderate seas.  Stabilizers also protect the ship itself from undue stresses on the hull caused by the snap rolling, as well as protecting the ship's inventory of glassware, dishware, and liquor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

To me, that sounds much better than a complimentary footstool. It also appeals to the fact that a cruise is not a normal vacation but one at sea, making it extra special. I'm convinced some people would be willing to pay $0.50, $5 or even more to be guilt-free when they open the door. For me at least, after spending thousands for a 14 day cruise, of which I'd spend 10 hours a day in my cabin, $5/night is really peanuts.

42 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

It's not $5 a night, it's $0.50. That's less than a single beer for the whole cruise.

Obviously I do follow the rules, I wouldn't be asking otherwise.

Please see the snip from your original post above, you are the one that said $5/night which I still dispute.  If you only had those paying to keep the door open you have a much smaller base which will raise the cost substantially.

Keeping a balcony door open is against cruise line policies her different than stabilizers which are there for everyone's comfort when needed.  While I enjoy the "motion if the ocean", in rough seas appreciate those stabilizers as I am pretty sure all do.

I am done trying to reason with the unreasonable.  As I and others have said if you don't like how main stream cruise ships are engineered and run you are free to vacation elsewhere.

Edited by akcruz

20 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Please see the snip from your original post above, you are the one that said $5/night which I still dispute.  If you only had those paying to keep the door open you have a much smaller base which will raise the cost substantially.

Keeping a balcony door open is against cruise line policies her different than stabilizers which are there for everyone's comfort when needed.  While I enjoy the "motion if the ocean", in rough seas appreciate those stabilizers as I am pretty sure all do.

I am done trying to reason with the unreasonable.  As I and others have said if you don't like how main stream cruise ships are engineered and run you are free to vacation elsewhere.

AmazedByCruising should change name to ConfusedByCruising. It would be more accurate. 😏

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Trust me, if you traveled on a ship without stabilizers (and despite the many claims here on CC that stabilizers "aren't working" or "weren't used", they are used almost all the time in rough seas), that in truly rough seas you would be begging for stabilizers.  Cruisers are pretty soft when it comes to rough weather, but a "stiff" ship like a cruise ship would snap roll you across your stateroom in even moderate seas.  Stabilizers also protect the ship itself from undue stresses on the hull caused by the snap rolling, as well as protecting the ship's inventory of glassware, dishware, and liquor.

So true, would be interested to see how many could handle rolling 45 degrees for 3 or 4 days, as we did on a banana reefer crossing Indian Ocean many years ago. Only stabalisers on that ship were the bilge keels.😢

On 8/28/2019 at 10:03 PM, Donald said:

Amazed,

Don't quit your day job.

Most mass market cruisers do not pay "thousands for a 14 day cruise" in a balcony cabin.

Most pay hundreds (industry average is around $650) for a 7 day cruise in a balcony cabin.

When it comes to many mass market cruisers, $5 extra per day is a serious deal breaker.

Mass market lines would never even consider such a thing.

There are also numerous scientific reports about diesel fumes being carcinogenic. One of the best ways to breathe them is through an open balcony door when the wind is just right.

Where are you finding those prices and for a balcony? Even with an interline and military rate those are very rare. What cruise line also?

• Like 1