Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

Comparison as Promised: Foot note, I can't spell nor is my grammar acceptable.  My communication is good though.

Cruise Brand Comparison Assumption: Comparison on an excel spreadsheet for review. 10-day Cruise to the Mediterranean Sept/Oct 2020.  Regent vs. Oceania Cruise Lines.   Includes a hotel pre-cruise; adult drink packages; 7 port excursions (note, Regent is no charge; Oceania Perks 3 per guest); tips; transfers (note, transfers included with the Oceania pre-cruise hotel; Cost for debarkation day); and taxes/fees.  We must also consider that Oceania includes Premium Coach Airfare and Regent includes Business Class Airfare.  It must also be stated that the Oceania suite is a Penthouse with a Butler.  The Regent Suite is a Concierge Suite with no Butler.

Cost Difference: $3,798.00.

Cruise_Comparison_Luxury_Regent_vs_Oceania_2020.xlsx

4 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

I think you accurately and very well summarized the situation. When I started sailing on Oceania in 2008 I raved about the line to one and all and it was our go to cruise line. Times have changed and so has Oceania. It is in the mix but no longer a first choice. If you look at the reviews on CC over the years they tell the same story. In the beginning, all the reviews were stellar and now they have declined significantly. Today it it a matter of itinerary and value before I consider Oceania whereas in the past I wouldn't have reason to really look at another cruise line. I have noticed cost cutting over the last several years as well as an attitude change in the wonderful staff. 

Well stated 😊

Still our preference but the gap has narrowed significantly 

On 9/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, LHT28 said:

I am sure Oceania did not offer free WiFi for people  to make the ship their office  & do work related emails with large files

Maybe O should go back to charging for the internet  ..it seemed much better when people had to pay

JMO

Or maybe they should upgrade their service so it's not so poor.

I know on Crystal that I had no problem with my internet 90% of the time because they upgraded the service on all their ships. Oh and internet is free too.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:08 PM, cpecen said:

I should mention that I preordered every meal. I made certain that I explicitly stated all of my food constraints to the waiter at the beginning of each meal and we verified that my preorder was consistent with my food constraints.

The most concerning thing to me was when the kitchen staff prepared a dish that obviously contained dairy. This tells me that there is something seriously wrong with the way in which the kitchen is being run as I saw the preprinted order that was sent to the kitchen and it explicitly said dairy free. This shouldn't have happened in a well-run kitchen with the proper controls.

Compare that to other cruise lines where they have a separate chef who only deals with guests with allergies and special food needs so that mistakes like this don't happen.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, cpecen said:

By the time that I realized what was happening it was clear that it wasn't an isolated issue that could be easily corrected by escalating to the head chef but a systemic problem: hence my earlier statement that there are issues within the kitchen. For my own health and safety I intentionally chose an approach of risk mitigation. Please believe me when I tell you that this was a decision that was not taken lightly or without a good understanding of operational and management issues; after returning from my trip I have attempted to work through my travel agent to reflect my experiences back to Oceania.

At this point my perception is that Oceania is a process-based operation that does not deal well with situations that fall outside of the norm and that their processes are constructed in such a way that there is very little latitude for individuals to correct the process once a problem is discovered. I believe that is why some people enjoy Oceania very much, as long as their expectations fit within the processes that Oceania uses. For those of us who fall outside of the norm we have a much different experience as reflected by some of the comments on this thread.

Like the time we were having afternoon tea on Marina and I asked what the sandwich was. I was told it was egg salad and I took one. Then I bit into the sandwich and bit into a shrimp. I have a food sensitivity to shellfish. I went to the head of the afternoon tea to complain and he barely acknowledged my concern. Thankfully mine's not a full blown allergy but if it was, it could have killed me.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AtA said:

Or maybe they should upgrade their service so it's not so poor.

I know on Crystal that I had no problem with my internet 90% of the time because they upgraded the service on all their ships. Oh and internet is free too.

Yes I read they put boosters in each cabin  for the wifi

Maybe Oceania can do that also ....

Newton's Third Law would come into play 😎

41 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Look at post, very detailed Excel Spread sheet attached to it with all breakdowns and assumptions.  

This is pretty much the outcome every time I've analyzed an itinerary I like with O, compared to an Itinerary I like with Regent.  And it's the major reason we haven't sailed on Regent yet.  We keep finding exactly what we want, for less, with O.

The difference can, sometimes, be much smaller or even evaporate when I compare wanted itineraries with O and Seabourn.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

This is pretty much the outcome every time I've analyzed an itinerary I like with O, compared to an Itinerary I like with Regent.  And it's the major reason we haven't sailed on Regent yet.  We keep finding exactly what we want, for less, with O.

The difference can, sometimes, be much smaller or even evaporate when I compare wanted itineraries with O and Seabourn.

Exactly.  Let me add something. I do an excel spreadsheet for financial matters just like the one in my post all the time.  Yet sometimes, I take the higher priced item.  In the case of Oceania vs. Regent; you also have do your own research of how folks feel about their recent Regent cruises.  I have done this for hours.  WHY, I love the concept of totally all inclusive, business class airfare and ALL the extra's Regent provides.  After all that, after reading every single post about Oceania and Marina on this and other threads, my decision was easy.

I am going on the Oceania Marina; Oct 2020; the research does not provide enough reason to pay any more. I will be aware of the internet so I won't be surprised; I will know some of the food options have changed; and all the concerns listed.  I will go in with my eye wide open.  Just my two cents.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Exactly.  Let me add something. I do an excel spreadsheet for financial matters just like the one in my post all the time.  Yet sometimes, I take the higher priced item.  In the case of Oceania vs. Regent; you also have do your own research of how folks feel about their recent Regent cruises.  I have done this for hours.  WHY, I love the concept of totally all inclusive, business class airfare and ALL the extra's Regent provides.  After all that, after reading every single post about Oceania and Marina on this and other threads, my decision was easy.

I am going on the Oceania Marina; Oct 2020; the research does not provide enough reason to pay any more. I will be aware of the internet so I won't be surprised; I will know some of the food options have changed; and all the concerns listed.  I will go in with my eye wide open.  Just my two cents.

I understand.  With a more inclusive cruise line the line item additions are always so few.  I would MORE than love to see a bus. class option with O.  There is so much that goes into these decisions that is intensely personal.  As PaulChili has said many times... This cruise line is right for US, at this point in time.  Your mileage may vary.

I'm starting to re-think the cruise we had planned for Oct 2020 with Windstar.  The sole purpose was to see Turkey, and even though it's early days yet - my spidey sense says "this ain't gonna happen".  I'm kinda dreading all the excel spreadsheets in my future.

21 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?  

I take it that's directed at me?  I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  Just agreeing that viable business class air options on O would be nice, and commenting on the rather involved process Don and I go through to find the best value....  for us.

Not sure why that elicited  your response.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Look at post, very detailed Excel Spread sheet attached to it with all breakdowns and assumptions.  

if you find the right TA for Oceania you can get  PPG    so that would knock off a few more $$ to your  calculations

plus maybe some obc to help offset the drinks 😉

@LHT28- I include complimentary gratuities and 9% rebate from my TA in the calculations. That calculation includes $20 per person/per day drink package upgrade, OLife without air, "do-it yourself" flights (first class domestic US, business class international), 3-4 shore excursions, pre/post hotel and ground transportation. Cabin is either regular veranda or Concierge. Regent is still 25% or more expensive than Oceania for similar itineraries.

• Like 1

OK, What is our intent hear? To assist ourselves and others with first hand information prior to making investments in future expensive vacations.  This information creates empowering of clients through a very simple type of crowd sourcing. Then bias take over or personal preference based on a persons want, needs and motives.  Finally, the debate begins using information that could change what has been discussed.  An example of this is published rates vs. Air in/Air out--TA discounts--Using all excursions/Not Using all excursions--Need for pre-cruise hotel--Oceania vs. Regent savings/value.

All of this is normal and healthy, until we get upset with each other.  Then it becomes ego that I am right and you are wrong.  Let me tie back to an open forum to assist in making a very expensive decision for all of us.  Thanks for all your help, anyone that wants to take a premium or luxury cruise should read this post from start to finish. 

For those of you that are on my cruise, I can't wait to see each of you and enjoy those moments we are long for in life.  Be well everyone. Happy cruising.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

@LHT28- I include complimentary gratuities and 9% rebate from my TA in the calculations. That calculation includes $20 per person/per day drink package upgrade, OLife without air, "do-it yourself" flights (first class domestic US, business class international), 3-4 shore excursions, pre/post hotel and ground transportation. Cabin is either regular veranda or Concierge. Regent is still 25% or more expensive than Oceania for similar itineraries.

As I have said  before  people  need to do the math & do what works best  for THEM

On 10/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

For example we’re in our mid 60s and cruise around 100-120 days a year on various cruise lines (see my signature) where the average itinerary runs between 3-6 weeks. 

Which cruise line depends upon itinerary, time of year, fun factor, our current loyalty status and what do we need to do to get to the next level. But, at the same time, our decision will also be based on prior experiences with a particular cruise line, good and bad, and as you may have noticed keeping in touch with our world back home is important to us. 

Ken, I'm curious - how is it to sail on HAL/Princess after trying Crystal and Oceania? And how would you compare Oceania and Crystal? 

Also, I have a feeling after reading different boards, that those cutbacks are not unique to Oceania. Just look at Celebrity board. Would you agree? Does it apply to Crystal as well?

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

As I have said  before  people  need to do the math & do what works best  for THEM

Thanks to Gary and Rob for at least trying to run comps.

I still haven't seen anyone stepping up to the plate with evidence that R/SS/SeaB/Cry prices up same as O, apples to apples.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Thanks to Gary and Rob for at least trying to run comps.

I still haven't seen anyone stepping up to the plate with evidence that R/SS/SeaB/Cry prices up same as O, apples to apples.

Everyone is welcome.  My pleasure.

45 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

How did this conversation get moved to price analysis ???? Sounds like we have a few folks that want to dive down this rabbit hole. Thought this was about Marina not state of cruise fares, although it may be interesting. 

I didn't dive down a rabbit hole. Neither did @Sthrngary. The discussion evolved from thinking Oceania in general and Marina specifically isn't what it used to be. The discussion then moved to "what are the alternatives". It only makes sense that Regent, Seabourn, Siversea and Crystal would be included in the discussion. 

Please accept my humble apology for trying to be helpful.

3 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I didn't dive down a rabbit hole. Neither did @Sthrngary. The discussion evolved from thinking Oceania in general and Marina specifically isn't what it used to be. The discussion then moved to "what are the alternatives". It only makes sense that Regent, Seabourn, Siversea and Crystal would be included in the discussion. 

Please accept my humble apology for trying to be helpful.

I agree Rob.  This was not a hijack.  Truth be told, Regent, Seabourn, Siversea and Crystal are great choices. However, so is Oceania or else it would be out of business by now.  The situation that is happening is economics.  Cost cutting to increase profits and Regent, Seabourn, Siversea and Crystal are all doing it also. This is what happens when large main stream cruise companies (NCL, Royal, Carnival) , purchase premium and luxury brands.  Now we all know the pros and cons including cost differences.  We can all make a more educated decision.

I would much prefer to go on the New Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection Cruises or New Virgin Cruises.  However, they are both having their challenges just sailing and literally impossible to get to their ports without spending more money on air then the cruise.

Folks, the good news is all of us have had such a wonderful life even to have cruised once.  We are SO darn lucky.  The cruisers really make the cruise anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1