Too many Diamond and above

Hogbay

44 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

People are living longer...but are they cruising longer?  I still don't see too many in their late 80's and 90's on cruises. The cruise lines are building bigger ships...perhaps in anticipation of more cruisers on board.  There's no crystal ball to predict the future...and I'm sure the Governments can figure out how to manage pension funds and health care for the aging population.  

Do you go to the Love & Marriage Show?  Or just the Welcome Aboard show in the theater?  There are inevitably three, four, five couples who are celebrating 52, 53,  56, even 60 year anniversaries.  And those are just the ones who come to the theater that night.

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I love these pot stirring threads where the OP drops a grenade and runs away.

just my humble opinion and your mileage may vary

jc🥰

Really? There was only a 5 hour difference between his post and yours. 🙄. Not everyone sits at the computer all day to continuously respond to threads. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, robandana said:

We will be on the Radiance Vancouver to Hawaii and they are doing the same with the lounges and the specialty coffee.

Can anyone confirm if the specialty coffee voucher expires in the day or do they accumulate? Just curious....

We did HNL to YVR this past May, and they only looked at our cards, never scanned them to get our Diamond coffee at Café Latitudes.  So, you could probably get more than 1 per day.

12 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

Really?  Will this be the same on a Transatlantic? I always heard that lots of Pinnacles do Transatlantic's

"Lots of Pinnacles" will still be less than the sum of D and D+.  And on some ships the suite lounge is bigger than the D lounge.  So we have our target ships....

BTW, the "problem" isn't that there are more and more old people, it's that the population of D's expand very quickly due to the number of ships and the number of passengers that sail every week.  It's pretty easy to reach D and D+ when you can go B2B doing it from one ship to another.

10 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I didn't interpret OP's remarks as 'pot stirring'.  I, at first, was wondering if he thought the ship should limit the number of Diamonds allowed to sail on one ship at one time...LOL...but after reading the posting, I see he was just informing those on the cruise that more venues are going to open up for the evening Happy Hour.  I don't believe he was trying to be offensive, just informative.  It's nice to keep a positive attitude...sometimes hard to do...but not impossible.

Remarks weren't,  but the title was definitely provocative 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Hawaii to Sydney on Radiance 20th Sep 2019 , will have lots of Diamond and up so Starquest will also been made available and a specialty coffee added to your card ☺ Thanks to Jane LA 

Loyal to Royal.Thank you too

I'm thinking the overflow policy is fleet wide by now.  I was told by the LA on the Adventure in April this year that if they reached 450 D, D+, and P's they made the VCL the overflow, and set up huge appetizer tables on the dancefloor/stage area.  It was very nice for that cruise.  They also did the daily coffee bonus on our cards, but we don't drink coffee, so never used it.

• Like 1

Speaking of coffee vouchers, on the Symphony TA, we were allowed free specialty coffees at the Promenade Cafe all day unlimited.

On the Vision TA in April, we were only offered one free specialty coffee in the MDR (or Giovanni’s if a suite guest) at breakfast. 

I believe the latter will be the standard from now on. 

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Do you go to the Love & Marriage Show?  Or just the Welcome Aboard show in the theater?  There are inevitably three, four, five couples who are celebrating 52, 53,  56, even 60 year anniversaries.  And those are just the ones who come to the theater that night.

I sometimes go to that show, and do watch it on the tv.  A person married 60 years isn’t necessarily in their mid-80’s.  My parents were 76 yrs and 80 yrs at that anniversary. 

I really don’t feel that there will be a significant increase in the number of cruisers aged 85-100 yrs over the next 20 years.  It would be interesting to track the ages of cruisers and perhaps someone will, but until someone does, I’ll just eyeball things and see if I notice an increase in ‘golden years’ cruisers.  And, more power to them!

16 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I’ll just eyeball things and see if I notice an increase in ‘golden years’ cruisers.

One thing you might notice is that those people tend not to look as old as you get closer to that age. As in, "Wow, that 85 year old looks 65!" And younger people start looking really young. As in, "When did junior high kids start going to college?"  All a matter of perception...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

One thing you might notice is that those people tend not to look as old as you get closer to that age. As in, "Wow, that 85 year old looks 65!" And younger people start looking really young. As in, "When did junior high kids start going to college?"  All a matter of perception...

It sure is a matter of perception.  I remember thinking how grown up I felt at 20.....and now I look at a 20-yr old and think.....still a baby!!!!   And what would that 20-yr old think of me now that I’m in my mid to late 60’s?  Elderly, I’m sure....😂😂.   I don’t think I get to ‘elderly’ for another 20 years!   And the beat goes on.....

• Like 2

It sometimes surprises me on the age of some cruisers....I say this because when you see what some people have for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus all the drinks...you would think they are at risk of shortening there lives not extending them.... 

I know we gain 2-3lbs each cruise and it takes weeks to get those pounds off after our cruises....

Maybe Royal is adding some special live longer spices into the meals....that way guaranteeing they will have customers for a long long time....😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, robandana said:

It sometimes surprises me on the age of some cruisers....I say this because when you see what some people have for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus all the drinks...you would think they are at risk of shortening there lives not extending them.... 

I know we gain 2-3lbs each cruise and it takes weeks to get those pounds off after our cruises....

Maybe Royal is adding some special live longer spices into the meals....that way guaranteeing they will have customers for a long long time....😉

I gain 6-8 pounds in a week and lose it the first week back😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

How true.  As I'm nearing 50 college kids look like babies and 70-somethings don't look old at all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Really? There was only a 5 hour difference between his post and yours. 🙄. Not everyone sits at the computer all day to continuously respond to threads. 

Regardless of the time it is clearly a pot stirring thread.  I admit the OP, is not throwing it an leaving it to fester, he is adding to the fester.  Congrats!!!!

jc

16 hours ago, alfaeric said:

"Lots of Pinnacles" will still be less than the sum of D and D+.  And on some ships the suite lounge is bigger than the D lounge.  So we have our target ships....

BTW, the "problem" isn't that there are more and more old people, it's that the population of D's expand very quickly due to the number of ships and the number of passengers that sail every week.  It's pretty easy to reach D and D+ when you can go B2B doing it from one ship to another.

Cruising is also lot more affordable then was 30yrs ago. Cruisers back then were called the Newlyweds and Nearly Deads. Not a single kid on my first Cruise, only two 18yr olds younger then me and my new Wife. Royal wasn't Family Cruise back then. This on the new Sovereign of the Seas, Largest Cruise Ship in the World and first Mega Ship...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I gain 6-8 pounds in a week and lose it the first week back😉

Longer I Cruise the less I gain. Think get into a routine by 3rd week of Eat, Exercise and sleep. None of which do as well at home... I'd gain about 9# on a 7nite Cruise, 21nite or longer its about 5# total. Think my body gets use to 3 meals a day ate at same time, at home it's 2 small meal, or could be the never use Elevator rule I follow

20 hours ago, alfaeric said:

It's pretty easy to reach D and D+ when you can go B2B doing it from one ship to another.

Agree its not too difficult, especially if in suites and can take long cruises of 14+ days. But most people are not in suites and with leave and money constraints are restricted to one 7 night cruise a year or less. Thus for most, it can take a good few years to get to Diamond.  Looking forward to some B2B and reposition cruises when I retire in 18 months😁

Edited by sgmn

We had one 7 day cruise with RCI before getting on the Anthem on 8/31/17, having retired in April 2017.  We will be Diamonds as of 5/29/20, never sailing in anything but insides and balconies, and have 137  points each by April of 2021.  Never been on or yet scheduled for an Oasis class ship, not scheduled any repeat cruises yet, so we feel Royal gives us enough choices to make plus while we still can.  Next big choice seems to be which ship to take to hit the 140 mark, finding it hard to wait the next few months until the rest of 2021 cruises become available..