flu season and cold season

HCTiger9704

We probably had noro or some other type of food-borne illness before our last cruise after eating at a pub in port the night before leaving. I'm glad Princess doesn't have a health questionnaire anymore. Fortunately, our symptoms were very short lived, and we both felt fine at breakfast time.

Just got our flu shots today - hoping they got the right mix to immunize against this year’s mutation.  It’s a bit of a shot in the dark - the virus has several months to mutate while the vaccine is being prepared.  Anyway, I've only had the flu once in the past 45 years, and from what I read it seems that each year the vaccine is more effective, so — here’s hoping.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just got our flu shots today - hoping they got the right mix to immunize against this year’s mutation.  It’s a bit of a shot in the dark - the virus has several months to mutate while the vaccine is being prepared.  Anyway, I've only had the flu once in the past 45 years, and from what I read it seems that each year the vaccine is more effective, so — here’s hoping.

The vaccine is usually made using the previous years flu, so as you say it is quite effective but not 100%. At the very least, even if you get sick, it will not be as bad or for as long.

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As I've mentioned, we now get them basically to help protect our grand kids    But glad that we haven't had the flu in decades.  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I think it's some variance of the flu: fever, chills, cough, malaise, fatigue, loss of appetite, etc. I've had garden variety colds, but seem to get the flu every year, even though I get a flu shot.

Still better than the full blown flu.

8 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Got my flu shot today, since I have 38 days on 2 different ships coming up in a couple of weeks. I have never had the flu and never got a flu shot until I was 65. So far, so good. Knock on wood, I’m pretty darn healthy.

Sometimes we got them and sometimes we'd forget.  But once we got grandboys and grandgirls we always get them.  For their sake.

34 minutes ago, clo said:

Sometimes we got them and sometimes we'd forget.  But once we got grandboys and grandgirls we always get them.  For their sake.

For your sake as well, if you stop to consider that the flu shot one of the grands got might be one of the 10% or so that don’t take - and that loving hug you get is a source of transmission.

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

For your sake as well, if you stop to consider that the flu shot one of the grands got might be one of the 10% or so that don’t take - and that loving hug you get is a source of transmission.

You betcha.  I'll go ahead and say I consider it pretty irresponsible to not get it.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:06 PM, clo said:

I took my first flu shot at age 68,never had the flu before or since.I took the shot because I believed all the propaganda.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:56 PM, fyree39 said:

I seem to get sick every single year even though I get an annual flu shot. *le sigh*

When do you get the immunization and when do you get sick? Might be your timing of too soon or too late. Or you’re just going to get it.

• 1 month later...

You are as likely to pick up the "flu" or a cold or the stomach virus (noro) in your grocery store, church, school or ANYWHERE folks congregate as you are on a ship.  The ship itself doesn't carry any viruses that the passengers don't....it's the PEOPLE who introduce this in the the equation.

Wash your hands before you touch your eyes, nose or mouth or before you eat.  Really, it's about all you can do.

4 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You are as likely to pick up the "flu" or a cold or the stomach virus (noro) in your grocery store, church, school or ANYWHERE folks congregate as you are on a ship.  The ship itself doesn't carry any viruses that the passengers don't....it's the PEOPLE who introduce this in the the equation.

Wash your hands before you touch your eyes, nose or mouth or before you eat.  Really, it's about all you can do.

Yep.  There was a thread a while back that had loads of good info.  I can't find it but here's a CC article:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=71

Just got our flu shots today - yay!  While we still wash hands like demented raccoons, it does make us feel better prepared.  I also do the Lysol wipes at my seat while flying (swabbing down the seat belt and air controls 😱).