can you bring a coffeemaker onboard?

sofiefleurie

Unfortunately, no. I think it's silly.

Soon you'll get replies about what a fire danger they are. But several cruise lines have them and I've yet to hear of one starting a fire.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

4 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Suggest you familiarize yourself with Princess FAQs and their list of prohibited items

yes, that is a good resource, one I often use,  but I like to hear what fellow cruisers have to say.  It is generally more interesting and informative than a list of policies.  Also, sometimes funny, charming and clever.  I have yet to see a list of prohibited items do that.

Thank you to all who responded.  I will either bring a French press or spend a lot of time at the coffee line.  Either way, I'll be on a cruise ship drinking coffee!  😊

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

Soon you'll get replies about what a fire danger they are. But several cruise lines have them and I've yet to hear of one starting a fire.

Jim

The ones the cruise lines provide are taken out of service at least annually, and inspected and tested before being returned to service.  One you bring from home has not had this care, or the cruise line cannot verify the claim that it has.  We had a coffee maker that was under testing in the electrician's shop go up in flames, it does happen.  Mr. Coffee almost went out of business back in the 80's from all the lawsuits over home fires caused by their faulty "auto on/off switches".  These switches are the most common cause of failure and fires around, so when folks say "but it has an auto switch", I just shake my head.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sofiefleurie said:

yes, that is a good resource, one I often use,  but I like to hear what fellow cruisers have to say.  It is generally more interesting and informative than a list of policies.  Also, sometimes funny, charming and clever.  I have yet to see a list of prohibited items do that.

Thank you to all who responded.  I will either bring a French press or spend a lot of time at the coffee line.  Either way, I'll be on a cruise ship drinking coffee!  😊

You haven't said what ship you're sailing. If you're on the Royal or Regal or one of the upcoming new ships, you can get brewed coffee in the buffet or any dining room.

No concentrate-bases coffee on these ships.

Jim

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

My wife brings her "coffee maker" on every cruise.  It is call her husband😋  Of course, on a cruise, "making coffee" means getting up, getting dressed and going down to the IC. 

Just what we do.

2 Thermal cups ( with handles for ease of pushing buttons and opening doors  ) filled at the IC or Lido .

2 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

You haven't said what ship you're sailing. If you're on the Royal or Regal or one of the upcoming new ships, you can get brewed coffee in the buffet or any dining room.

No concentrate-bases coffee on these ships.

Jim

The Island, which doesn't have an international cafe.  We are early risers and I'm not sure what coffee options we will have .

8 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

Jim

Jim,

You may be surprised to learn that fires occur on ships quite regularly - from all sorts of sources and devices.

You might also be surprised to learn that cruise lines are not very fond of publicizing those fires.

In most cases, when we experience a fire onboard, most passengers are not even aware of it.

But the most surprising thing for most cruisers is who is responsible to pay for the damage when a cruiser starts a fire in their cabin. The cruise contract makes it very clear that the passenger who causes damage to the ship is fully responsible for the payment.

In my 37 years at sea, I have seen only a dozen or so fires caused by heat producing devices in guest cabins. Nearly every time, the guests who caused the fires were as surprised as anyone. The typical response was, "Gosh we have never done this before".

Next, when I inform them that they owe the cruise line $200,000 for repairs to the cabin, their responses are priceless - but cannot be repeated here.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, sofiefleurie said:

Do you know if they are open before 6 am? I thought I had read the hours of operation as being later.

My recollection is that the coffee bar on the Island opened closer to 7 when we cruised the Panama Canal a few years ago. Maybe it's earlier now. I hope so. All I know is that I didn't consider it a good coffee ship.

Jim

5 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

My recollection is that the coffee bar on the Island opened closer to 7 when we cruised the Panama Canal a few years ago. Maybe it's earlier now. I hope so. All I know is that I didn't consider it a good coffee ship.

Jim

Are you implying there is no room service on that ship?

I have to be the one opposing voice. On all of our cruises (over100) with Princess we have taken a THERMOSTATICALLY controlled kettle and had not had it confiscated once. That is as recently as this year (March/April) on the Majestic. We have  had our power strips taken (and returned at end of cruise). It is not hidden and sits on the shelf next to the refrigerator at all times. We take a French Press or use Starbucks VIA. Just our experience!

We bring pour over devices and use paper filters because cleaning a French press in not realistic on a cruise.

Order hot water from room service (we say for tea because it's easier).

Then we do our pour overs and toss the grounds and filters in a bag we bring. 

• Like 1