Coco Cay smells bad

Gary1960

2 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Gary1960 While I understand the "EW Factor" it's been less than a week. Can we hold off on the criticism of something that was outside of their control?

Its not out of their control now to get rid of it. I am back there in 3 weeks on the Harmony and I hope it has been removed by then.

• Haha 1

@Gary1960 Have you reached out to RCCL directly either by visiting Guest Services, the Call Center, or social media? While some folks here may appreciate the heads up. RCCL probably isn't looking at CC for thoughts on this...

Also, there have been reports of unusually high sargassum blooms in recent years. Therefore, while they could dredge today, it may be back in a few days. They have been dealing with it on the beaches in Florida.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Gary1960 Have you reached out to RCCL directly either by visiting Guest Services, the Call Center, or social media? While some folks here may appreciate the heads up. RCCL probably isn't looking at CC for thoughts on this...

Also, there have been reports of unusually high sargassum blooms in recent years. Therefore, while they could dredge today, it may be back in a few days. They have been dealing with it on the beaches in Florida.

I was there 3 weeks ago and it was perfect. I was there yesterday and there is 2 foot deep slime that you have to walk through and it does not improve much the further out you go. The resort looks pretty good most of the new tall palm are now supported with wood and the balloon is still deflated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will be there next month. I think they will improve the cleanup each and every day. I think we do need to be patient, it's only been a week and Dorian was a nasty hurricane. I saw some video from a FB Live feed from Saturday and it looked remarkably good. There was no mention of smell but the video was taken around the walk ways leading up to the pool.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Yeah, we've been dealing with it bad in Key West nearly all year. At Smather's beach they come out with a bulldozer every morning to clear it and sometimes it will be fine all day, other times it will be completely covered again by 10AM. There's really no way to fully and completely control it. It's part of nature

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Gary1960 While I understand the "EW Factor" it's been less than a week. Can we hold off on the criticism of something that was outside of their control?

Totally agree.  Give them a chance, I am sure they are doing everything they can to get the island cleaned up.  Please be patient.

• Like 10

Also - the staff that work at Cococay live in the Bahamas and I’m sure some are unable to come to work as they are probably dealing with other urgent matters.  Perhaps the pool might be a better choice for those bothered by the seaweed issue until staff can get their feet back under them and staff numbers recover.  I understand they’re looking at a possible death toll of ~3,000 (per Bahamas Press). A little perspective and looking outside one’s self can go a long way in offering some empathy and understanding rather than judgement and complaining.   Don’t let it wreck your day.   Look around.  Be thankful.  Enjoy the pool and perhaps schedule a beach visit at a different island.   

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

The smell is a mix of seaweed and rotting fish. There was a large number near the beach beds. Yes, the smell was very overwhelming and we were gagging as we walked the beach. But, it’s not exactly something I’d blame RCI for or complain about. We just stayed at the pool which was great. Occasionally the wind would blow up the smell, but only for a minute. The locals were cleaning it up, and doing what they could. Still had a very nice day!

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Maybe Royal should send out ballots to all previous cruisers and let them vote on the question of allowing smoking in inside areas. Allow or not allow. 

do not turn this into a smoking thread.  there are a lot  more serious issues going on now.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Although disgusting and stinky, In the big picture, I haven't just experienced the most traumatic experience of my life. I havent just lost everything,  perhaps loved ones. Certainly my home and certainly my entire town are gone.

I am not wondering if I will be able to provide food or water to my frightened family. 

Yes, its stinky but lets try and have some compassion and patience 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  for  the update  Gary1960.  Given the little  or no structural damage at Coco Cay,  this is a minor inconvenience, but worth being aware of. Don't  expect it to return to what is was a few weeks  ago in only a month or two. The beaches along the Florida  Forgotten  Coast directly  hit by Hurricane  Michael a year ago, still aren't back to shape.

And the Bahamas have much bigger problems than tidal wash.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gary1960 said:

The hurricane has pushed up a lot of seaweed into the beach areas. It feels disgusting underfoot and the stench of rotten eggs is overpowering. They need to dredge this out asap.

All part of cruising in the Caribbean and South Atlantic during hurricane season.

• Like 3