New York things to do

loiner

Hello everyone we have been to New York a few times now but our friends have never been before,

and we are trying to pack in as much during the shortened visit to NY as possible for our friends ,including a trip on

the circle line cruise,9-11, can anyone recommend a typical Kosher Deli as my Pal would love to try a hot salt beef

sandwich.

Any tips on this and how to cram in all the sites  would be appreciated.

Regards from Leeds

6 hours ago, loiner said:

can anyone recommend a typical Kosher Deli as my Pal would love to try a hot salt beef

sandwich.

Katz's Deli is a true New York deli experience-- its both touristy but locals still frequent it. Its hard to beat their pastrami or corned beef (order a hot salt beef sandwich and they will look at you strangely). 

• Like 1

I’d do a statue cruises tour that leaves from downtown at battery park, you can get off at Ellis island and/or the Statue of Liberty, you decide how long to stay. I think it’s cheaper than the circle line, and convenient to the 9/11 museum, memorial and observatory. How many days do you have?

56 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d do a statue cruises tour that leaves from downtown at battery park, you can get off at Ellis island and/or the Statue of Liberty, you decide how long to stay. I think it’s cheaper than the circle line, and convenient to the 9/11 museum, memorial and observatory. How many days do you have?

But the Circle Line circumvents the entire Manhattan Island. It’s a very nice cruise. For many people it is not necessary to go to Liberty or Ellis Island. Seeing the SOL up close is good enough. 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:26 AM, loiner said:

Hello everyone we have been to New York a few times now but our friends have never been before,

and we are trying to pack in as much during the shortened visit to NY as possible for our friends ,including a trip on

the circle line cruise,9-11, can anyone recommend a typical Kosher Deli as my Pal would love to try a hot salt beef

sandwich.

Regards from Leeds

The best kosher deli in Manhattan in my opinion is Fine and Schapiro  at 138 W. 72 St.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best kosher deli in Manhattan in my opinion is Fine and Schapiro  at 138 W. 72 St.

Maybe one of the dirtiest too, According to the NYC Health Department. It was closed down after an inspection in May, 2018, required 2 reinspections before it was allowed to reopen and even after it was allowed to reopen the inspectors still found evidence of mice or live mice. https://www.westsiderag.com/2018/06/08/polpette-and-fine-schapiro-reopen-after-follow-up-inspections

It's not easy  to get closed down by the NYC health inspectors. You have to rack up a pretty large number of problems to actually be closed. Here's an example from one borough, Staten Island, where out of 994 inspected restaurants, only 6 were closed by the Health Dept. 813 of the 994 received an "A" rating, the top score . https://www.silive.com/news/g66l-2019/02/2ed8dcb7d38740/health-dept-inspects-close-to-1000-island-restaurants-check-out-the-results.html

• Like 1

Whenever I have dined there the food was very good.I have friends who live in Manhattan and go there once a week and never had a problem.Having said that it reminds me of a restaurant in Brooklyn that has a C on its window.One of my friends goes there very often because he never had a problem.I told him that I will never go back as long as they have the C.

the circle line cruise,9-11,

How short is this shortened visit? 

Without knowing that, I will just give general advice, anld my key points of advice would be:

1.  Don't try to cram in too much.  You can't see it all, so be selective

2. Plan your day(s) so you don't keep going back and forth between midtown sites and downtown sites.

3. Utilize subways when you do go between midtown and downtown; much faster than cabs/buses

4. Choose things that really interest you, rather than choosing things simply because they seem like iconic sites that you are "supposed" to see in NYC.  Ex. A few years ago a relative was listing places she wanted to see while there and one was Wall Street.  I get it; it's famous.  But I asked her what it was that she actually wanted to see and she really didn't know.  She simply named it because it's famous.  Once she knew that you the observation mezzanine at the NYSE has long been closed to the public, and that otherwise "Wall St" is just a street with buildings like any other street, she quickly lost interest. 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:44 PM, Got2Cruise said:

But the Circle Line circumvents the entire Manhattan Island. It’s a very nice cruise. For many people it is not necessary to go to Liberty or Ellis Island. Seeing the SOL up close is good enough. 

There are multiple Circle Line options, I believe.  One does circumnavigate the entire island, others are shorter and just go around the southern part and back, and I think there is one that basically goes around SOL/Ellis.  Check the website to be sure.

I would definitely get Uber and lyft apps we find that easiest way to get around, also prebuy if possible tickets for 9/11 museum, give yourself a couple of hours for that, if it’s a clear day consider taking elevator to top , view is amazing, also in walking distance of that is trinity church where many revolutionary graves are and Frances tavern where Washington gave his farewell address. 

typical Kosher Deli as my Pal would love to try a hot salt beef

sandwich.

Regards from Leeds

.Get 2 sandwiches. One Hot Corned Beef and one Hot Pastrami, you will NOT be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Most typical Kosher Delis are NOT operated under strict Kosher Laws.

What you're talking about are kosher style delis and they should not be referred to as "kosher delis". For example Katz's used to be an actual kosher deli but is now just kosher style. Though not as numerous as they used to be actual kosher delis can still be found in NY city.

One note: Many kosher delis (in terms of following all dietary laws and being under rabbinical supervision) would not be considered truly kosher by the most observant because they're open on the sabbath. 

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Also skip the Reuben-- while good, its a distraction from some of the best pastrami/corned beef you'll ever have (at least at Katz's thats the case). 

You'll never find a Reuben at a kosher deli because kosher dietary law (kashrut) prohibits eating meat and milk products together (among many other things), and a Reuben is made with swiss cheese.

Only "kosher style" or "Jewish style" delis will have Reuben sandwiches. Katz's  originally did not violate this rule but some years ago changed.

The truly observation would say that Katz's was never strictly kosher because it was open on the sabbath, but in the past its food did not violate kosher dietary law.

Thank you all for your advice, we are certainly going to be busy when we arrive in NY. Incidentally talking of Reuben Sandwich my pals name is REUBEN,so it should be

interesting when he goes in the deli and chooses a Reuben Sandwich.!

We hope to meet you all at the meet and mingle. Not Long now

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

wow,  now thats a sandwich.  Isn't Juniors a Bakery that sells cheesecakes?  

They do sell cheesecake but we like there pastrami and corned beef , original is on Brooklyn,, not far from where I lived, they moved to Times Square area about ten years ago they are so popular that they opened a second restaurant in same area , really do miss Stage deli and Carnegie deli . Juniors was packed at midnight on my visit a few months ago.