Oasis show - "Cats"

Would love to see shows replaced more often, we did like Cats but would not care to see it again . Not that many plays we would like to see multiple times, but there are some. Would love to see Beautiful added, have seen that 3 times.

11 minutes ago, George C said:

Would love to see shows replaced more often, we did like Cats but would not care to see it again . Not that many plays we would like to see multiple times, but there are some. Would love to see Beautiful added, have seen that 3 times.

Apparently the sets are very complicated. 

Pretty sure they stick to shows with big name recognition.

Not sure Beautiful fits the bill

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Apparently the sets are very complicated. 

Pretty sure they stick to shows with big name recognition.

Not sure Beautiful fits the bill

Beautiful is pretty popular has been on broadway for six years although it will be closing and it is also touring across the country. Really great score of Carol King songs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

My December bookings say that CATS is 2h 30m.    

How long was CATS before?

I keep hearing this rumor of a shortened version but does anyone have a verifiable source for this rumor?

That hasn't been updated yet. According to a cast member in rehearsals for the new production, RCCL turned Cats into a one-act 90-minute show.

• Like 1

I had never seen Cats before going on Oasis and I thought it was amazing. The stage, the costumes, the singing, the music was spectacular. The only thing that spoilt it was people walking in and out of the show.

We went several times, as we were on the ship for two weeks, sometimes just seeing the second part, after which the auditorium was half empty. The quality of the singing was superb. Of course there is no ‘story’ as such, but a quick read on the internet would explain what is going on.

i hope they don’t dumb down the show. So far Andrew Lloyd Webber has been unwilling to cut the show to accommodate those with a short attention span.

Luckily there are so many wonderful shows on Oasis that even those who dislike Cats can find something to suit their tastes.

• Like 2

I don’t believe they can shorten the show as Andrew loyd Webber requires that they preform the Show as written I was in a elementary school production where the teacher wanted to remove one song from the show .  We were told that we had to put it in the show as the show had to be preformed as written or not at all

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

hope they don’t dumb down the show. So far Andrew Lloyd Webber has been unwilling to cut the show to accommodate those with a short attention span.

53 minutes ago, sergeant655 said:

I don’t believe they can shorten the show as Andrew loyd Webber requires that they preform the Show as written I was in a elementary school production where the teacher wanted to remove one song from the show .  We were told that we had to put it in the show as the show had to be preformed as written or not at all

https://catsmusical.fandom.com/wiki/Oasis_of_the_Seas_2014

in addition to this it has also been confirmed through a couple other Royal Caribbean sources. 

7 hours ago, twangster said:

My December bookings say that CATS is 2h 30m.    

How long was CATS before?

I keep hearing this rumor of a shortened version but does anyone have a verifiable source for this rumor?

Is the Aqua show in your planner yet?

So glad they are shortening it!!! 

We really enjoy Broadway shows, and are happy to blow 3 hours attending a show ON LAND. 

Time is precious on a cruise, a finite amount.  We tried to watch Cats on the Oasis, but about an hour into the show we started thinking about all the fun things we could be out doing on the ship.  We left the show, no regrets.  If it was 90 minutes, I think we could manage.

Dan

10 hours ago, sergeant655 said:

This is what I have always heard about Cats.  No way to shorten it.  I love the show Cats.  I went to it 3 times with my daughter.  We had a reservation for one of the shows.  The other two times we stood in the back and waited for people to walk out the first 15 minutes.  Always got great seats.  

4 hours ago, dasi11 said:

This is what I have always heard about Cats.  No way to shorten it.  I love the show Cats.  I went to it 3 times with my daughter.  We had a reservation for one of the shows.  The other two times we stood in the back and waited for people to walk out the first 15 minutes.  Always got great seats.  

That was the previous contract. I'm certain, based on previous reports, that it was shortened when negotiating the extension 

Nothing drums up more discussion than Cats. After my Oasis cruise last year, I finally understood why. I promised myself that I would stay AT LEAST until the first act, but my legs had something else in mind and walked me out of the theatre somewhere in the middle of the first act. I just couldn't take it any more.

The set, the costumes, the choreography, the music, the singing, the entire production was TOP NOTCH. But good Lord, I could not figure out the damn plot or what the point was.

When I dragged my son out of the kids club, I said, "You have got to see how bad this is," and walked him into the theatre. By then, most of the audience was gone. We stood there and watched a few brutal minutes and walked out again. Cats is the butt of our jokes to this day. "Remember how bad?" One of us would ask the other. And then we would laugh and laugh.

It would be a damn shame to keep this production on the Oasis if most of the audience is gone by Intermission.

Edited by hucifer
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I'm sure I spent hundreds of dollars when I saw it on Broadway. Spectacular costumes and songs. I just can't believe people walk out after only one or two songs.  If you want to leave have the courtesy to wait until intermission.

Why wait? Omg I watched all of it. Even stayed after intermission waiting for it to get better. I would say about 75% left during intermission. I should have left after 10 minutes. What courtesy? The people in the play know we all fall asleep and dislike it. They just have to do it. Don’t  waste your time on this show. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Of course there is no ‘story’ as such, but a quick read on the internet would explain what is going on.

This describes my issue with Cat's

Having to go on the Internet to get an explanation on what is going on defeats the discovery process.

I have seen many, many, plays both on and off-broadway, and touring broadway shows.  I also like to see many different kinds of movies.  For movies or plays I don't like to read reviews.  I like to "discover" things on my own while viewing any kind of production without any preconceived notions.

I saw Cat's in a touring Broadway show and sat through it.  Didn't like it.  Gave Cat's on RCCL a shot until the intermission, and left.  It was well done on RCCL, comparable to the touring show, but I have no interest to ever seeing it again.

• Like 1