Real ID

Donray

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

How would they know if someone qualifies, if he does not show up with necessary docs —— unless you are saying that they only issue Real ID - so people who do not qualify are totally off the road?

If you cannot provide the documentation, they will issue a non-REAL ID.  But there is no cost difference between a REAL ID and non-REAL ID.

Although, MD did send out 68,000 REAL ID licenses to people who had NOT provided any documentation. Those people got letters that if they do not provide the documentation, their licenses are voided.

I just renewed my DL in August. I was told by the clerk that if I did not get a Real ID now I would need one next year. 

I told her I have  passport so she just OK.

I live in MN, the state that delayed passing the Real ID because of some rights(?) of illegal residents. Go figure.

1 hour ago, cruznjan said:

You need Real ID for domestic air travel.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

It’s one option. Passport is another.

1 hour ago, cruznjan said:

Yes.

Or a passport card, or a global entry (or other trusted traveler card), or an enhanced drivers license or a military ID.

Edited by njhorseman

On 10/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, njhorseman said:

Or a passport card, or a global entry (or other trusted traveler card), or an enhanced drivers license or a military ID.

Not just military ID, any HSPD-12 compliant ID.  Which is all Federal agencies now.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, chengkp75 said:

TSA is now far more adjusted to them, and I don't get any questions anymore, but then again, I haven't flown from any airports in the heartland, far from ports.

That's a good point. I regularly fly to and from a small airport in the mid-west and I'm surprised they know what TSA Pre is.  (They have a weird way of accommodating that because they usually on have one machine open.  So they funnel you through a different corral with a special card and the TSA "barker" telling people what they need to do stops the regular line and lets you get priority to the x-ray and nude-o-scope.)  I'd be pretty surprised if they would know what some of the other ID types used primarily in border states are.

8 hours ago, clo said:

Our local news just covered the fact that 850,000 Nevadans haven't gotten a Real ID.

That does raise an interesting question- how many people actually need a REAL ID compliant license? Since they are only needed to fly and to enter Federal jurisdiction (under control of a security guard where IDs are checked) there is probably a large percentage of people who can do without one.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

That does raise an interesting question- how many people actually need a REAL ID compliant license? Since they are only needed to fly and to enter Federal jurisdiction (under control of a security guard where IDs are checked) there is probably a large percentage of people who can do without one.

And there are a good number of them who have a passport or other compliant document that can be used in lieu of a REAL ID license.

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've also read that near 50% don't even know about this.  And of those who choose not to get it I wonder if they've thought about the fact that some day they may have an emergency reason to fly.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I've also read that near 50% don't even know about this.  And of those who choose not to get it I wonder if they've thought about the fact that some day they may have an emergency reason to fly.

And how many of them will be at the airport for a flight when the learn about it?

On 9/30/2019 at 5:22 PM, clo said:

I don't know the answer to this.  When one's driver's license is renewed is it required that one get a Real ID?

It's not required (at least not federally required). California and, as far as I've heard, other states leave the option to get the old license or upgrade to a RealId. Often the fee is higher for RealId and you need to bring in additional documentation.

When I went to get it, there were lots of people in line planning on applying for RealId who found they hadn't brought everything needed so they had the choice of getting the old license or coming back later with the right stuff. Not nice to find out after being in line for over an hour. They had someone screening the people in line before they got to the counter and of the dozen or so I overheard, we were the only ones who had everything needed.

The DMV has a checklist on-line for what you need. Be sure to review it to make sure you have everything before going to apply for RealID.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:31 AM, Zach1213 said:

Hey, I agree. Especially since she has a sibling in Europe, and another in California. But... 🤷‍♂️

If siblings having an emergency is the concern, then she would need to get a passport to cover the sibling in Europe and that would cover for both. A RealId would only work for the one in California.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, clo said:

They will learn about it when it's time to renew their license I suppose. There a lot of people who would never have a reason to fly, emergency or otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, sparks1093 said:

I haven't read this thread in depth so pardons if this has already been asked/answered....  If you will need a real ID to enter a Federal courthouse, what happens if you are summoned for jury duty and don't have one?

(Having just served on a Federal jury for 10 days, I'm pretty sure our Federal courthouse would be one of the types of Federal buildings impacted?)

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(Having just served on a Federal jury for 10 days, I'm pretty sure our Federal courthouse would be one of the types of Federal buildings impacted?)

Good question.  I did a quick search and the closest I came was a comment about a "secure federal building." I'm guessing you had to go through something, didn't you?  But not PO, SS, veterans, etc.

Edited by clo

54 minutes ago, clo said:

Good question.  I did a quick search and the closest I came was a comment about a "secure federal building." I'm guessing you had to go through something, didn't you?  But not PO, SS, veterans, etc.

Gated security, had to show a government-issued ID, any bags were scanned and all folks entering walked through a scanner. Pretty much like an airport. In addition our cell phones were taken (and any cameras, according to their guidelines sent in advance....)

It's an interesting thought -- if you are summoned and do not have real ID are you held in contempt of court? Or will they 'excuse' you for it?

Edited by cruisemom42