Platinum Latitude Member Benefits

vicpylon

Though I am not striving to get the next level I am at Gold and had a question. I always stay in the Haven and I notice many of the Latitude benefits seem to overlap. What is the main thing about Platinum that really makes it worth it (excluding the free cruise)? I am not seeing much beyond what I get in the Haven.

Vic

There was a time when Platinum was the top level. Those days are gone. Under the latest revision to the program, Platinum is a mid-tier level.

You really need to get to Platinum Plus or Ambassador to achieve the best of the benefits.

12 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

There was a time when Platinum was the top level. Those days are gone. Under the latest revision to the program, Platinum is a mid-tier level.

You really need to get to Platinum Plus or Ambassador to achieve the best of the benefits.

This isn't true. There's no appreciable difference between Platinum and Platinum plus benefits.

You get an extra bottle of water, 30 more Internet minutes, and dinner with a "senior officer." Enjoy making small talk with the assistant spa manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, vicpylon said:

Though I am not striving to get the next level I am at Gold and had a question. I always stay in the Haven and I notice many of the Latitude benefits seem to overlap. What is the main thing about Platinum that really makes it worth it (excluding the free cruise)? I am not seeing much beyond what I get in the Haven.

Vic

I doesn't matter what i or anyone else here thinks about the value of the benefits of the various Latitudes tiers. For you only your opinion matters. Just read the table of benefits and make up your own mind:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program#!#benefits

Last I heard - earlier this year - there are now "only" less than 40 Ambassadors entirely among the entire ranks (2 years ago - there're about 50+ ... the counts are shrinking)  ... on 2 of the sailings with them onboard & recognized during the Captain's reception, the Ambassadors were apparently too frail to join or attend.  

BTW, if I am not mistaken, didn't it used to take 750 points to reach Ambassador status at NCL - it has been changed - recently ?? - to just 700 points, not that we are anywhere near to chase or go after it.  IMHO, not that important ... even airlines' FF that reached million miles status aren't as highly valued as they used to be.  

With the double point promos & other "boosters" - not that difficult to jump ahead to being P+ after a few cruises with careful "planning".  

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

This isn't true. There's no appreciable difference between Platinum and Platinum plus benefits.

You get an extra bottle of water, 30 more Internet minutes, and dinner with a "senior officer." Enjoy making small talk with the assistant spa manager. 

I agree. I am platinum plus and am in no rush to reach Ambassador even though i am 130 points away. There is no difference between platinum plus and ambassador, except the “ free cruise”

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

BTW, if I am not mistaken, didn't it used to take 750 points to reach Ambassador status at NCL - it has been changed - recently ?? - to just 700 points, not that we are anywhere near to chase or go after it.

Tell me you are kidding! I am waiting for that Ambassador party! Will clap and cheer when you go on stage to get your share of the bubbly,  at the top of my voice!!!!! Just pick a new ship out of NYC please. LOL!

Edited by Arzeena

19 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Last I heard - earlier this year - there are now "only" less than 40 Ambassadors entirely among the entire ranks (2 years ago - there're about 50+ ... the counts are shrinking)  ... on 2 of the sailings with them onboard & recognized during the Captain's reception, the Ambassadors were apparently too frail to join or attend.  

😭 Sadly, they are dying off more quickly than new ones are created. 

Lack of attendance might just be a sign that the free drinks perk takes away any incentive to go to an event with the primary purpose of getting free drinks. 🤔

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

BTW, if I am not mistaken, didn't it used to take 750 points to reach Ambassador status at NCL - it has been changed - recently ?? - to just 700 points, not that we are anywhere near to chase or go after it.  IMHO, not that important ... even airlines' FF that reached million miles status aren't as highly valued as they used to be.  

I think that you are mistaken. It was always 700 points as I recall.

1 hour ago, vicpylon said:

Vic

For our money, the best perk is the free laundry.  This makes it possible to go on longer cruises without having to pack endless clothes.  We are over the chocolate covered strawberries; the free wine is TERRIBLE; we have never purchased photos so that discount is useless.  But the laundry really rocks our Platinum world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joken35 said:

We finally made to Platnium, though NCL  should have credited us a year ago. I think the perks are nice even though the dinners have been limited to per cabin rather than to each person.

The dinners used to be one meal for two per person. Now they are two meals for 2 per cabin (more if there are more than 2 platinums), so they haven't really been limited, although in some specific cases it doesn't work quite as well.

14 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

😭 Sadly, they are dying off more quickly than new ones are created. 

Lack of attendance might just be a sign that the free drinks perk takes away any incentive to go to an event with the primary purpose of getting free drinks. 🤔

I think you are right, but even prior to the drink perk, we were starting to back off the loyalty parties due to size. Now, we never bother. They seem to be at a time that isn't convenient for us. 

14 hours ago, Joken35 said:

We finally made to Platnium, though NCL  should have credited us a year ago. I think the perks are nice even though the dinners have been limited to per cabin rather than to each person.

The meals use to be one per person. So, the total number of meals has not changed. HOWEVER, they now allow you to go to Cagney’s which is a bonus 

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The meals use to be one per person. So, the total number of meals has not changed. HOWEVER, they now allow you to go to Cagney’s which is a bonus 

And if you go with friends who are less than Platinum, just book one Platinum in each cabin and get 8 meals instead of 4.

8 hours ago, bssc said:

Laundry and meals, mostly.  That's one bag per person.  Never met a ship's officer at dinner.

If you are Platinum Plus, you sign up on embarkation day at CN desk for a guaranteed place at Officer's dinner.  Others can enter a lottery with the hope of being selected but PP is automatic.  

Some mention being assigned "low level" officers.  It all depends.  We've had all kinds of experiences and enjoyed all of them.  The dinner is generally held in one of the main DR's with regular menu and usually includes wine.  There may be more than one officer assigned to a given table depending on the number of guests.  Generally a table for 8 or so.

17 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I agree. I am platinum plus and am in no rush to reach Ambassador even though i am 130 points away. There is no difference between platinum plus and ambassador, except the “ free cruise”

Besides the free cruise, reaching Ambassador seems almost pointless. Compare it to Pinnacle status on RCI, you get near suite-like benefits (priority embark/debark, concierge lounge, priority show seats, suite restaurant, etc). If RCI manages to implement a version of NCL's ship within a ship concept, I might have to...jump ship... #dadjoke

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Besides the free cruise, reaching Ambassador seems almost pointless. Compare it to Pinnacle status on RCI, you get near suite-like benefits (priority embark/debark, concierge lounge, priority show seats, suite restaurant, etc). If RCI manages to implement a version of NCL's ship within a ship concept, I might have to...jump ship... #dadjoke

The things is,  as a Platinum plus we are supposed to get what you describe above, priority check in, priority seats at the shows, seating at the restaurant, concierge help, but is all in theory,  when you get on board is a whole other story. To me the free cruise even though is nice idea at the end is not free i have to spend thousands of dollars to get it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣....

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

And if you go with friends who are less than Platinum, just book one Platinum in each cabin and get 8 meals instead of 4.

I've been wondering if this were possible and if people actually did it.  If you are a couple (want to share a cabin) and are platinum, and sail with a couple who aren't platinum, how do you manage this?   I understand splitting up the booking, but presumably once you go to guest service to ask them to change around the room keys they system is back to seeing 2 platinums in one cabin, and 2 non-platinums in another cabin?

30 minutes ago, doconner said:

I've been wondering if this were possible and if people actually did it.  If you are a couple (want to share a cabin) and are platinum, and sail with a couple who aren't platinum, how do you manage this?   I understand splitting up the booking, but presumably once you go to guest service to ask them to change around the room keys they system is back to seeing 2 platinums in one cabin, and 2 non-platinums in another cabin?

You don't actually change the room keys around.

What you can do is go to guest services and ask for access to rooms. Lots of people with families travelling together do it to give them access to each others rooms. I haven't done it myself, but I believe that you get a second room key which will give access to the other room (but doesn't allow you to charge things).

It is something I would only really recommend if you trust the other couple and don't mind potential loss of privacy. It can also be a bit messy from the point of view of setting up accounts, as each person will need their own account (unless you are willing to sort out what people owe each other afterwards). There is also the fact that the other couple would have access to your room, and be able to see what you have been buying. Personally, I can only think of maybe one or two couples who I would be happy to be in that situation with, and even then I don't think I'd bother just for a couple of meals.

I think that generally it is something that is more often done to get the free at sea perks that people want, for example if one person from each couple drinks and the other doesn't. In that case you can save a hundreds of dollars by doing this.

I'm not sure whether it is in fact possible to officially move the room allocations around, but I've not seen that mentioned before as a way to do it. I'm sure someone else will correct me if this is a way to do it and keep the perks.