Seating at Dinner

Curt1591

18 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Possibly been asked before. But, I couldn't find the answer.

How is seating determined?

Is it random? Or, is there any method to it?

What/which/where/whenĀ seating?

Cruiseline/Ship?

For the GDR on our preferred line, you just show up when you want and indicate whether or not you want to share a table. Seldom would you have to wait to be seated.

For the "never anĀ extra fee" specialty restaurants, your cabin level determines when and how many reservations you can make prior to boarding. But, Ā if you are flexible about time/date/sharing, you can add as many no cost reservations as you want once onboard (subject to availability).Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Well, when we cruise as a couple, we've NEVER been seated with 'families" or larger groups. Ā I think they try to seat couples with other couples and families with families as much as they can. Ā Age doesn't seem to be a factor...one of our better tables include a younger couple and a much older couple....we had a total blast with those folks!

Ā 

On most ships, nowadays, there is an "anytime" option, where you are seated by yourself...with only YOUR party. Ā We prefer having tablemates, but not everyone does.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Don't know how they do it but when we have been stuck with fixed time dining, the groupings seem to work well.

Ā 

DON

Ā 

My experience as well.Ā  As a solo, I have been seated at a table of 6 where 5 of my tablemates were two parents and 3 children.Ā  I have been seated at a table of 6 with a family of 5 whose race was different from mine.Ā  I have been seated on a very long cruise at a table for 8 with another solo andĀ three couples of very diverse educational and ethnic backgrounds.Ā  Some nights were good; too many were not.Ā  That was the worst dining room experience that I have ever had.Ā  However tablemates are assigned, I do think the Maitre d'/Dining Room Manager does do a good job.Ā  But, what criteria are used--ifĀ there are any criteria--who knows?

Thanks for all the replies. I guess we'll just have to hope it works out.

My wife and I are from different educational and ethnic backgrounds. She is Asian and degreed. I am caucasian and a high school grad with some college. With over 20 years behind us, we have been able to adjust ...Ā šŸ˜Š

Living in Thailand, my world isĀ a different race. Personally, I like diversity.Ā 

With today's lax upbringing, kids could be a problem. But, during our travel period, most should be in school.

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

My wife and I are from different educational and ethnic backgrounds. She is Asian and degreed. I am caucasian and a high school grad with some college. With over 20 years behind us, we have been able to adjust ...Ā šŸ˜Š

Living in Thailand, my world isĀ a different race. Personally, I like diversity.Ā 

With today's lax upbringing, kids could be a problem. But, during our travel period, most should be in school.

Ā 

I'm thinking that you've made some predeterminations which I think you'll find out are mistaken

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I'm thinking that you've made some predeterminations which I think you'll find out are mistaken

My post was in response to the preceding post.

But, what might my predeterminations be?Ā 

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

My post was in response to the preceding post.

But, what might my predeterminations be?Ā 

Well, I can think of 2.

Ā 

6 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

1. With today's lax upbringing, kids could be a problem. But,

Ā 

2. during our travel period, most should be in school.
Ā 

1. You appear to think that all children are brought up in a lax manner, and are therefore a problem.Ā  While this may be true of SOME children,Ā  and possibly only a few, I think it unreasonable to categorize all as such.Ā 

Ā 

2. School may be in session where you live, but you are not accounting for different vacation periods in otherĀ countries. Or those who are home schooled. Or those whose parents just take them out of school for a week or so.

Ā 

I get it.Ā  Some people don't like kids, or don't like kids on their cruises. But unless you opt for an adults only ship (like Virgin), odds are you're going to trip over at least a few ankle biters while aboard.Ā 

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well, I can think of 2.

Ā 

1. You appear to think that all children are brought up in a lax manner, and are therefore a problem.Ā  While this may be true of SOME children,Ā  and possibly only a few, I think it unreasonable to categorize all as such.Ā 

Ā 

2. School may be in session where you live, but you are not accounting for different vacation periods in otherĀ countries. Or those who are home schooled. Or those whose parents just take them out of school for a week or so.

Ā 

I get it.Ā  Some people don't like kids, or don't like kids on their cruises. But unless you opt for an adults only ship (like Virgin), odds are you're going to trip over at least a few ankle biters while aboard.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

From your screen name, "mom says", I assume you have, or have had kids. But, there is no need to take this personally.Ā 

I don't hold this true for all kids. I truly enjoy the company of well behaved kids.Ā On occasion when I do encounter encounter them, I always make it a point toĀ complement the parents and the kids. If your kids fall into this group, I thank you.

Ā 

Unfortunately, these occasions are few and far between.

Growing up, when my parents took us into any "adult" setting, we were sat down beforehand and told that they would like to be welcomed again. And, that that welcome should specifically include a request to bring us kids. That kinda set the stage for what was expected of us.

When we did cut up, kids being kids, we were immediately whisked away,Ā to avoid disturbing others. I don't often see this today.

Ā 

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts.

Ā 

We have always been on the roll call for our cruises, and that gives us a small group of people we "meet" before the cruise, and then get a chance to meet in person at a meet and greet at the beginning of the cruise.Ā  We were surprised at how often we kept running into the same people we had met at the M&G, and we often got seated together intentionally at some meals.Ā  It was a great way to "break the ice" as you sit down with others.Ā 

Ā 

The kids issue might be solved by when you are traveling, if you are indeed cruising during school sessions, the number of children will be smaller.Ā Ā  Secondly, depending on the cruise line, you might have fewer children on some lines than others.Ā  I don't know if we have just been lucky, but we have never been around unruly children on a cruise, and that includes a cruise to Alaska and two Disney cruises.

Ā 

My guess is that you will be fine, and the opportunity to meet others and their likely interest in your living in Thailand will make for interesting dinner conversations.Ā  Then too, think of all of the questions you can ask Americans and Britons about what is going on in their respective countries!

• Thanks 1

Note that for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room (MDR), it is open seating but group tables. You'll be seated with others who have arrived just before or after you. At least this is true on cruises I've been on (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian). When we started cruising over 20 years ago, even breakfast and lunch had assigned times. And, as you may know, Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) has open seating all the time. (I think you can have a fixed time, but it is not quite the same as Carnival or Royal Caribbean fixed time). Also, if you are traveling with others in different cabins and you want fixed time dining, you should have your reservations "linked".Ā  This links all of you to the same dining table and time.

Ā 

We've had some great table mates for evening dinner, and we've had others who moved after the first night. I think they try to match age groups, but this has not always happened with us.

Edited by Jimnbigd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, Curt1591 said:

Possibly been asked before. But, I couldn't find the answer.

How is seating determined?

Is it random? Or, is there any method to it?

Ā 

No one really knows how seatings are determined. (If you're asking about dinner in the main dining room.)

Ā 

When we were younger and new to cruising...we were always apprehensive showing up the first night and always genuinely hoping that we'll be seating with other nice people.Ā  We've been fortunate because we can't remember ever having "bad" tablemates.Ā  In fact, we are still in contact with tablemates/friends we met on cruise ships 30 years ago.

Ā 

Fast forward to now........we now prefer a table for two during dinner. šŸ˜Š

• Thanks 1

It also depend on your mood. For us, we love to join others at a table. But there are days that we are tired and just do not want to be social. So when you enter a restaurant just tel them what you like, to join or just for 2. Sometimes you have to wait for a table for 2, but there is always a bar close by where you can have a drink while waiting.

• Thanks 1

Seems to be mix of answers but here is my feedback.

Ā 

Assume you are a couple ( given your talking points about kids and school )

Ā 

1) For the main dinning room for Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner there are many tables for two, and except for dinner never had a problem getting seating for two.Ā  Ā For dinner that may be YMMV, for some things like Teppanyaki or other special dining that is more group, you likely can always sit as a couple.Ā  Even the buffet has many tables of 2 but it would be standard buffet style jammed eatingĀ 

Ā 

Have no fear if you just want quality time eating with your date, you'll get a lot of that.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

But there are days that we are tired and just do not want to be social.

Ā 

What an excellent description of me on some mornings!Ā  I enjoy dining with others, but there are mornings that I do not need/want that social interaction as I eat my breakfast.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:20 AM, rkacruiser said:

Ā 

What an excellent description of me on some mornings!Ā  I enjoy dining with others, but there are mornings that I do not need/want that social interaction as I eat my breakfast.

Ā 

That is one of the main reasons we normally on a sea day we have breakfast in the room. So no need to socialize at all!Ā šŸ˜‰

• Like 1

18 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Ā 

That is one of the main reasons we normally on a sea day we have breakfast in the room. So no need to socialize at all!Ā šŸ˜‰

Ā 

I have done that as well.Ā  Regardless of the reason I would order a Room Service Breakfast, it is a cruise specific "treat" that I really enjoy.Ā Ā 

On 10/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, Curt1591 said:

Ā 

Wow judgmental much?

• Like 1