How Has Cruising Changed: Expectations vs. Luxuries?

CCAubs

18 minutes ago, George C said:

Al Martino brought my mother in law on stage and sang her a song , she was thrilled. Also around 2000 we saw Captain and Tennile a couple of times . 

We now do charter music cruises and I last two years saw America, Micheal McDonald, Boz Skaggs , BJ Thomas and many others

Amazing list of performers! How do you like the experience on the charter music cruises?

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, you may think things are on a decline, and maybe they have declined from 10-15 years ago.  but my first cruise in 1972 was on a very old ship (1931) and though the cabin had a sink, the bathrooms/showers were down the hall.  There were no amenities in the cabin that I remember, no turn-down chocolates.  No balconies.  No alternative dining other than pizza.  A couch that made into the bed, narrow.  The next year I sailed on the Oceanic, and had my own bathroom.  Luxury!  I don't remember the menu being particularly gourmet, and the lunch menu never changed.  There was only a lounge for entertainment, and I didn't go much.  I have never been able to afford a balcony on every cruise, nor ever a suite.  I feel fortunate to be able to cruise at all and look for the positives, not the 'not as good as..'.  EM

Wow, so cruising has definitely improved from that first sailing! What improvements stand out the most for you, in terms of amenities or offerings that mean the most on cruises today? (in-room bathroom not included 🙂 )

6 minutes ago, CCAubs said:

🙂 What are some of the improvements that standout to you?

Well where do I start?

I was only 7 years old in 1972.

So i wasnt on those but am now.

So there is improvement no1 i am on board.

• Haha 1

One thing not mentioned is cabins. When I first started cruising (early 1970s), there were only a few balcony cabins available on ships, and you generally had to book a suite to get one. Now, some ships have hardly any inside or ocean view cabins. 

Also, there were no in-cabin television sets. I'm not sure if that change is a good one or a bad one.... 

As to the things that have not improved (but rather have gone the other direction) on mass market lines, it would be difficult to list them all. I miss the table-side preparation of special items in the MDR (such as fettucine alfredo, or cherries jubilee). I miss having more courses at each meal. I miss having side dishes served by the waiters after the entree arrived. I miss caviar offered in the MDR. I miss having your steward in attendance virtually 24/7 because he bunked in a room right in the midst of the cabins he serviced. I miss having him pop out and open the door for you when returning to your cabin, before you could even whip out your key. (And there were real keys in those days, folks....).  I miss large floral arrangements and lots of live music and teak deck loungers. I miss the Captain actually shaking everyone's hand and chatting a few words with each at the welcome aboard reception.

But hey -- we can all sit in our cabins and watch tv!!  It's all good!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, CCAubs said:

Amazing list of performers! How do you like the experience on the charter music cruises?

We totally loved it did the rock and romance which is 70’s music in 2018 and this year and have it booked for next year, you get to ask them questions, they will autograph cds albums and guitars, BJ Thomas was in elevator with me he shook everyone hands and posed for pictures. This cruises are not cheap but live music from 2pm to 2am , loads of great cover bands also. Still cabins available for February cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

One thing not mentioned is cabins. When I first started cruising (early 1970s), there were only a few balcony cabins available on ships, and you generally had to book a suite to get one. Now, some ships have hardly any inside or ocean view cabins. 

Also, there were no in-cabin television sets. I'm not sure if that change is a good one or a bad one.... 

As to the things that have not improved (but rather have gone the other direction) on mass market lines, it would be difficult to list them all. I miss the table-side preparation of special items in the MDR (such as fettucine alfredo, or cherries jubilee). I miss having more courses at each meal. I miss having side dishes served by the waiters after the entree arrived. I miss caviar offered in the MDR. I miss having your steward in attendance virtually 24/7 because he bunked in a room right in the midst of the cabins he serviced. I miss having him pop out and open the door for you when returning to your cabin, before you could even whip out your key. (And there were real keys in those days, folks....).  I miss large floral arrangements and lots of live music and teak deck loungers. I miss the Captain actually shaking everyone's hand and chatting a few words with each at the welcome aboard reception.

But hey -- we can all sit in our cabins and watch tv!!  It's all good!

I do not recall seeing any balcony cabins till about 1990, agree no tv . Yes remember making dish’s table side and those real keys  and the teak loungers. Loved the caviar that only went away about 15 years ago. Some ships served chilled vodka with the caviar. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CCAubs said:

Is the luxury cruise experience more aligned with what you loved most about mainstream cruising years ago? Do they meet the quality of mainstream cruising in years past, or surpass it?

It's actually better.  The ships are considerably smaller with a more intimate feel.  There are no obnoxious contests by the pool or insipid announcements about flea market style sales in the main lobby.  You get one announcement per day from the captain.  The ONLY time you'll hear an announcement otherwise is when the ship has been cleared for us to get off in the morning--and that is literally a once sentence announcement.

The crew are out and about and truly make you feel like the welcomed guests of their private yacht.  The bridge is open most of the time for visits.  

Furnishings and decor are much nicer quality and in subdued hues instead of Vegas style garish neon.  Amenities from shower soap to a fridge in your room loaded with your favorite soft drinks and adult beverages, which is refreshed daily.  (Our line of choice doesn't include alcohol, so consumed adult beverages carry a nominal charge.)  Room service is fast, free (except the tip of course) and hot.  There is no extra charge for any restaurant or food item except caviar and alcohol.  There is little to no nickel and dime-ing.  The cruise director is happy to offer DIY advice (when they have solid information to offer) rather than sell you a shore excursion.  

There's not the constant barrage to sell you things.  And there are no lines, ever.  Even getting on the ship you board, are led to a large lounge area, handed a form to complete while you are comfortably seated, get your photo taken and are given your room card, and then are led to your cabin all while sipping a complimentary glass of Champagne.  From the minute you arrive at the port until you get to your cabin is about 20 minutes--and your luggage is there waiting for you.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It's actually better.  The ships are considerably smaller with a more intimate feel.  There are no obnoxious contests by the pool or insipid announcements about flea market style sales in the main lobby.  You get one announcement per day from the captain.  The ONLY time you'll hear an announcement otherwise is when the ship has been cleared for us to get off in the morning--and that is literally a once sentence announcement.

The crew are out and about and truly make you feel like the welcomed guests of their private yacht.  The bridge is open most of the time for visits.  

Furnishings and decor are much nicer quality and in subdued hues instead of Vegas style garish neon.  Amenities from shower soap to a fridge in your room loaded with your favorite soft drinks and adult beverages, which is refreshed daily.  (Our line of choice doesn't include alcohol, so consumed adult beverages carry a nominal charge.)  Room service is fast, free (except the tip of course) and hot.  There is no extra charge for any restaurant or food item except caviar and alcohol.  There is little to no nickel and dime-ing.  The cruise director is happy to offer DIY advice (when they have solid information to offer) rather than sell you a shore excursion.  

There's not the constant barrage to sell you things.  And there are no lines, ever.  Even getting on the ship you board, are led to a large lounge area, handed a form to complete while you are comfortably seated, get your photo taken and are given your room card, and then are led to your cabin all while sipping a complimentary glass of Champagne.  From the minute you arrive at the port until you get to your cabin is about 20 minutes--and your luggage is there waiting for you.

Well that's all well and good but it's all spoilt by those pesky formal nights.

3 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Not on the ships I sail on.  Windstar, Paul Gauguin, and (very likely for a future cruise) Oceania all have no formal night--it's smart casual every night.  

8 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

You've only been on a couple cruises and are not up to speed with most.  It seems that P&O is one of the few that remains with designated formal nights that apparently are enforced to some degree.  But most others have abandoned it several year ago - Celebrity being one in your experience.  Their suggestion to what used to be a formal night (as discussed before) is now called "chic" with dockers / slacks and polo's / casual shirts being the norm.  Not calling it by the same name, but with the same expectation would be RCI, Carnival, NCL, as a few examples of the many.

You really need to get over your concern with that - its just not an accurate situation with most cruse lines today!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You've only been on a couple cruises and not up to speed with most.  It seems that P&O is one of the few that remains with designated formal nights that apparently is enforced to some degree.  But most others have abandoned it several year ago - Celebrity being one in your experience.  Their suggestion to what used to be a formal night (as discussed before) is now called "chic" with dockers / slacks and polo's / casual shirts being the norm.  Not calling it by the same name, but with the same expectation would be RCI, Carnival, NCL, as a few examples of the many.

You really need to get over your concern with that!

Well thanks for that but the threat of those pesky formal nights remains.

I just cant get them out of my head.

7 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Well thanks for that but the threat of those pesky formal nights remains.

I just cant get them out of my head.

...you clearly are your own worst enemy!  There is no threat other than within you. You can eliminate that altogether by avoiding P&O for future cruises and you will be cured.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Not on the ships I sail on.  Windstar, Paul Gauguin, and (very likely for a future cruise) Oceania all have no formal night--it's smart casual every night.  

I like those cruises already

Silverware...lots of them!

There were so many items on the dining table...took me a while to figure out which one to use first.  Imagine sitting at your table the first night and your table would have wine glasses, water glasses, 3-4 tablespoons, 2-3 spoons, 3-4 forks, a couple of knives, bowl of butter, bowl of bread,.....I'm sure I'm forgetting many more....but as a proper Brit told us: "Outside-In".........oh! that elegantly folded linen napkin.................and to think at home it's plastic spoons and forks! (From take-out food!l) 😉😁😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

I think that food quality has suffered, and I believe that part of that is the people who order one of everything and take one bite from each plate.  The amount of waste is staggering, so the lines began cutting corners.

Good point.  I've read people hear seemingly brag about ordering multiple mains and taking a couple of bites of each.  Same with desserts.  I wonder if those same people are also complaining about fewer choices.

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Silverware...lots of them!

There were so many items on the dining table...took me a while to figure out which one to use first.  Imagine sitting at your table the first night and your table would have wine glasses, water glasses, 3-4 tablespoons, 2-3 spoons, 3-4 forks, a couple of knives, bowl of butter, bowl of bread,.....I'm sure I'm forgetting many more....but as a proper Brit told us: "Outside-In".........oh! that elegantly folded linen napkin.................and to think at home it's plastic spoons and forks! (From take-out food!l) 😉😁😎

Something else I have never understood. Just pick up a fork and dig in. And use the same fork for the main as well. Some poor soul has to wash up.