Coca Cola OUT, Pepsi Cola IN

LMaxwell

23 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

Um. . .staunchly coke products.  Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper to be exact (its a Coke product here).  I am an addict to shocking levels.  I do not drink anything else (except occasional alcohol drinks).  Hmmm. . . at least 12 cans a day, probably closer to 20 can a day.  Diet Pepsi makes me sick to my stomach after 2 sips.  I hate coffee and I will drink plain strong ice tea but you can't get that on the ships.  So yes, I really will stop cruising Carnival.  Even if I could carry on a 12 pack of Diet Coke, it would last me a day at most and then my trip would be ruined from caffiene withdrawal.  Yes.  Many will think it is stupid to a) drink that much soda and b) switch cruise lines because of soda.  But its that big of a deal to me.  Its a vacation.  I want to relax and enjoy myself.  That is not going to happen for me if I have soda stress.

Praying that they have Coke on the Panorama until 2020.

The cutoff and move is every ship, even if you will cancel.  Just so I understand, you drink 20 + cans of Coke product every day and every single Pepsi product (well over 30) all make you ill?  

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

For those of that are staunchly Coke or Pepsi, how much soda do you drink? 1 - 12oz can a day? A 6 pack? I'm not judging. I just don't get the "firmly in one camp" mentality and I'd like to understand. I drink soda maybe once a week, could be less. I also can't imagine going on vacation and feeling I need a certain drink soo badly I'd have to bring it with me.

Although I prefer Coke to Pepsi, we don't drink very much soda, I did not think that this was a big deal. I mentioned it to my wife and she was pretty upset. She does not want to drink rum and Pepsi. I told her that we could carry on Coke, so I guess we will.

• Thanks 1

The issue for me is the caffeine fix.  I can probably get it by bringing instant ice tea.  I have managed to stop soda for a diet using instant ice tea.  But that was not really a vacation!  But yes.  Sugared soda is a two sip max for me without literally throwing up later in the evening so that cuts out all those and whatever pepsi does to make their drinks diet also makes me sick.  Honestly, I suspect I am allergic to something in diet pepsi products.  And I get that I am outside the norm and have to make concessions for my addiction, so its not that big of  deal for me.  Coke products is what got me on Carnival in the first place instead of NCL.  Its that bad!

I am sailing this Christmas on the Panorama.  I am a bit worried that they will simply start with only stocking pepsi since it will be in service for less than a month before the company-wide switch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

The issue for me is the caffeine fix.  I can probably get it by bringing instant ice tea.  I have managed to stop soda for a diet using instant ice tea.  But that was not really a vacation!  But yes.  Sugared soda is a two sip max for me without literally throwing up later in the evening so that cuts out all those and whatever pepsi does to make their drinks diet also makes me sick.  Honestly, I suspect I am allergic to something in diet pepsi products.  And I get that I am outside the norm and have to make concessions for my addiction, so its not that big of  deal for me.  Coke products is what got me on Carnival in the first place instead of NCL.  Its that bad!

I am sailing this Christmas on the Panorama.  I am a bit worried that they will simply start with only stocking pepsi since it will be in service for less than a month before the company-wide switch.

I would expect that their contract with Coke runs through the end of the year and that Carnival will stock Coke products until 12/31/2019. My question would be what happens on cruises that run over the New Years holiday. Will those cruises start with Coke and switch over mid cruise?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Food on Carnival is great!

Just can't stand Diet Pepsi.  YMMV...

No dog in this fight.  The reference to

food was a comparable as to what I read here, not saying you said that.  There are other products available.  Hope you find something that works.  

3 minutes ago, Mutumbojimbo said:

I would expect that their contract with Coke runs through the end of the year and that Carnival will stock Coke products until 12/31/2019. My question would be what happens on cruises that run over the New Years holiday. Will those cruises start with Coke and switch over mid cruise?

My guess is the year end is a line in the sand.  They may have contractual start and stop dates, but that seems over the top.  

You make do with whatever they serve, but I am a fan of diet Pepsi so this is good for me. I have a feeling I'll have more frozen drinks than sodas. I gave up 90% of my soda drinking anyway. Water and frozen cocktails for me. 

Odd I guess but if I mix bourbon or rum with anything, its diet pepsi by choice.  As far as a stand alone soda, I might have 4-5 a year. 

That being said, I usually don't have a soda or a mixed drink with cola whilst on a cruise.   

In January my wife and I will be taking our first cruise. I was studying which cruise line to book, NCL or Carnival. Early into the study it came down to Coke or Pepsi, we chose Coke. After more studying,

even without Coke I would choose Carnival. We have the Bottomless Bubbles which I believe is fountain drinks. Cans and bottles there is a big difference, not so much with fountain drinks. In my opinion fountain drinks taste like syrup.

2 hours ago, bugsy7 said:

In January my wife and I will be taking our first cruise. I was studying which cruise line to book, NCL or Carnival. Early into the study it came down to Coke or Pepsi, we chose Coke. After more studying,

even without Coke I would choose Carnival. We have the Bottomless Bubbles which I believe is fountain drinks. Cans and bottles there is a big difference, not so much with fountain drinks. In my opinion fountain drinks taste like syrup.

afaik, it is only canned, not fountain.  If it were fountain, I would definitely be getting bubbles for my wife.  We had purchased it last year when it was cheaper, before it went up for our cruise in March, but just cancelled a few weeks ago, because my wife does not like canned diet coke, but can stand canned diet pepsi, so we were going to carry on.  She greatly prefers fountain or bottled, but from what info I have, it is only canned onboard.   

The problem 
I have is the back side. Having worked in the vending industry for a  time. Coke would allow us to sale non-pepsi products in their machines.  While pepsi would only allow us to sell those products bottled by pepsi.  I have to think the same will hold for Carnival.  Which would mean no Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pip etc.  And coffee served will Starbucks. And I refuse to go into a Starbucks. Cause when I want a large coffee, I want a large coffee, not a Grande anything.

• Like 2

I can't believe this has sparked a 6 page thread in just a couple days. 😲

Just wanted to touch on a few things I saw while reading the thread. I'm not sure why someone's "amazed by the hold" soda has on people. Do you say that about favorite liquors? Beers? Coffees? Car manufacturers? John Deere vs Case IH? Etc. etc. Yes, people have preferred, favorite brands. Don't act so self-righteous about it. For the others who commented about "lugging" it on board, it's really not as big a deal as some make it out to be. I set my 12-pack on top of a carry-on and secure it to the handle. Boom, done. No problem. People who carry soda on board are often a favorite target, but people carry all kinds of things on board that others may think they don't need. Some like their favorite brands of shampoo and/or body wash instead of what's in the dispensers. Many bring their own wine. Some bring their own pillows. The list goes on. I'm not sure why so many people in cruising are so concerned with how other people handle their vacations. I'd never pay several hundred dollars for an alcohol package knowing I may, or may not, drink a lot. But I don't care if others do. To each their own.

A couple comments were made about the cheapness of Pepsi and/or its profitability. I'm assuming Pepsi offered Carnival a better (cheaper) deal than Coke, hence this change. That's usually what happens with these types of things. But that doesn't reflect the cheapness of the product, per se. In regards to literal cheapness (i.e. expense), the cost of Pepsi products just went up around here. Or at least regular Pepsi and Pepsi w/ Real Sugar has. Not sure about the other types. I don't follow the cost of Coke.

Between the two, I'm a Pepsi drinker, but have no problem with Coke. To me, there's definitely a difference in taste. I don't know how to describe it, but Coke has a stronger taste to me. That's not good or bad, just different. Actually, I prefer Pepsi w/ Real Sugar (formerly Pepsi Throwback). I'm also a Dr. Pepper drinker. Incidentally, it's a product that's independently produced. There are places where Pepsi or Coke bottle it, but they do not make/produce it. I also don't have a problem with Mr. Pibb or many of the generic variants of Dr. Pepper. They're all slightly different than the real deal, but still good. That's what I've been drinking at home because the name brands are getting so dang expensive.

I don't drink as much soda on a cruise, so I'll just continue to carry on my 12-pack of Dr. Pepper or Pepsi. I like one in our cabin once in a while, so bringing a 12-pack takes little effort and is more convenient (and cheaper) than going to a bar anytime I want one.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I can't believe this has sparked a 6 page thread in just a couple days. 😲

You must be new here 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist, anyways, back to the subject of this thread. The change for the most part really doesn't bother me as I've never been particularly loyal to any one soft drink company and I've enjoyed various Coke and Pepsi products over the years.

That being said, only one thing about this does bother me. One of my favorite cruise drinks is a Cuba Libre, which, like some others on here pointed out, I don't feel you can make with Pepsi, so that is disappointing. 

But on the other side, I do drink a good bit of flavored sparkling water at home to feed my carbonation addiction and reduce my consumption of sugary drinks, so I'm thrilled they will have Bubly and I won't have to squeeze limes into club soda anymore. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Edited by schazzy

9 hours ago, schazzy said:

You must be new here 😁

LOL I know, right. I shouldn't be surprised. I don't know why, but it just surprised me how fast it grew to 6 freakin' pages.

9 hours ago, schazzy said:

That being said, only one thing about this does bother me. One of my favorite cruise drinks is a Cuba Libre, which, like some others on here pointed out, I don't feel you can make with Pepsi, so that is disappointing.

I obviously don't know what will happen, but I would like to think they'll keep some Coke on hand for bar use only. A drink recipe is still a recipe and should be followed. It's not what it is without the proper ingredients.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

LOL I know, right. I shouldn't be surprised. I don't know why, but it just surprised me how fast it grew to 6 freakin' pages.

I obviously don't know what will happen, but I would like to think they'll keep some Coke on hand for bar use only. A drink recipe is still a recipe and should be followed. It's not what it is without the proper ingredients.

Sorry Chaos I'm sure Pepsi is paying $$$$$ to Carnival either in kickback money(volume) or direct cost/pricing.

For those reason the contract will call for exclusivity. Recipe or not highly doubt any Coke product will be on board. 

Breach of contract would be the reason.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Sorry Chaos I'm sure Pepsi is paying $$$$$ to Carnival either in kickback money(volume) or direct cost/pricing.

For those reason the contract will call for exclusivity. Recipe or not highly doubt any Coke product will be on board. 

Breach of contract would be the reason.

They may not but the press release says preferred not exclusive so there is flexibility which gives them the ability to offer alternatives such as Dr. Pepper in certain markets.  

On 11/15/2019 at 5:01 AM, bugsy7 said:

Currently the bottomless bubbles is canned drinks.  That may change with the chance to Pepsi products.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:13 AM, CdrescherRBL152 said:

The problem 
I have is the back side. Having worked in the vending industry for a  time. Coke would allow us to sale non-pepsi products in their machines.  While pepsi would only allow us to sell those products bottled by pepsi.  I have to think the same will hold for Carnival.  Which would mean no Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pip etc.  And coffee served will Starbucks. And I refuse to go into a Starbucks. Cause when I want a large coffee, I want a large coffee, not a Grande anything.

Guess I’m back to carrying on again. I’m a DP fan but was ok with Pibb.  Sounds like no similar product will be offered. Oh well that definitely won’t ruin my cruise one bit.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

They may not but the press release says preferred not exclusive so there is flexibility which gives them the ability to offer alternatives such as Dr. Pepper in certain markets.  

True Dr. Pepper as a choice might be possible as Pepsi does have it in their portfolio in certain areas.

There won’t be any Coke or Sprite family products as those are exclusive to Coke.

It was mentioned that some recipes/drinks call for Coke specific and they might carry for that reason . That isn’t going happen

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Why is that?

I should have phrased that as COULD  not may.  Since Carnival is doing a big push to minimize waste, with the change to Pepsi it could be where they changed to fountain on their drinks.  Just a thought on my part.