Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

After playing with the apps for a few hours I think I’ve sorted it out. My previously downloaded apps (compass, ocean now, ocean ready etc) are all replicated in the all inclusive Medallion app so I did a little housekeeping and deleted all but compass and Medallion. Perhaps the stand alone compass app will be easier to utilize on ship and I won’t have to scroll thru to find it. (Or not, since nothing is loading on it right now and the one built into medallion has all sorts of ship activity info). It appears the older apps have been replaced by Medallion as most are no longer in the App Store. 

We are sailing with friends so I hope the chat feature (which is grayed out now) works as a messaging app. I think of all our previous cruises with family and friends where a messaging app would have been soooooo handy- especially when traveling with kids who are old enough to be out and about on their own but still need a parent to know where they are! 
Looking forward to trying out all the features. A few more green circles and we’re all set to board! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

After playing with the apps for a few hours I think I’ve sorted it out. My previously downloaded apps (compass, ocean now, ocean ready etc) are all replicated in the all inclusive Medallion app so I did a little housekeeping and deleted all but compass and Medallion. Perhaps the stand alone compass app will be easier to utilize on ship and I won’t have to scroll thru to find it. (Or not, since nothing is loading on it right now and the one built into medallion has all sorts of ship activity info). It appears the older apps have been replaced by Medallion as most are no longer in the App Store. 

We are sailing with friends so I hope the chat feature (which is grayed out now) works as a messaging app. I think of all our previous cruises with family and friends where a messaging app would have been soooooo handy- especially when traveling with kids who are old enough to be out and about on their own but still need a parent to know where they are! 
Looking forward to trying out all the features. A few more green circles and we’re all set to board! 

Just off the Regal.  The messaging app works well if the person you are messaging constantly checks the Chat part of the Ocean Compass App.  There is no alert tone or visual indicia that you were sent a chat message.  You just have to keep checking the Chat App.  After a few days, people grow tired of it and stop checking.

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Just off the Regal.  The messaging app works well if the person you are messaging constantly checks the Chat part of the Ocean Compass App.  There is no alert tone or visual indicia that you were sent a chat message.  You just have to keep checking the Chat App.  After a few days, people grow tired of it and stop checking.

That's disappointing. How hard would it be to include a little ding when a chat message comes in. I agree that it will get old to constantly log onto Medallion app to see chat messages. (Thought admittedly better than when there was no way to communicate on the ship with shipmates)

Here's another scenario. All four of us will have unlimited internet. Two of us have iphones. Two have androids. I am sure the two iphones can just use imessage to communicate as we do "on land" with either on data or internet. Not familiar with android options. Anyone know what method would work across platforms? That alleviates the extra step of using the princess app.

8 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

That's disappointing. How hard would it be to include a little ding when a chat message comes in. I agree that it will get old to constantly log onto Medallion app to see chat messages. (Thought admittedly better than when there was no way to communicate on the ship with shipmates)

Here's another scenario. All four of us will have unlimited internet. Two of us have iphones. Two have androids. I am sure the two iphones can just use imessage to communicate as we do "on land" with either on data or internet. Not familiar with android options. Anyone know what method would work across platforms? That alleviates the extra step of using the princess app.

Hi there, we've found that using WhatsApp works great across platforms.  Everyone would have to download the app.  We've also found that it sometimes works better for sending messages when we are onboard or traveling out of the country.  Hope that helps.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, Davis2010 said:

Or will the lanyard be sufficient?

Depends on what you like.  Be CAREFUL with the lanyard. We just got off "Sky".  Hubby went from our room on Sun Deck to the Gym, also on Sun Deck.  When he returned to get into the cabin, he noticed the Medallion was gone from its plastic casing.  The end where the lanyard attaches was intact; the opposite end had opened and Medallion had fallen out.  We did find the Medallion in the hall about three cabins from ours.  We don't know if it dropped on his way to the gym, or coming back.  If on his way TO the gym,  if someone had found it during that hour they'd have had perfect and easy access to our cabin.  I recommend squirting a bead of glue on that end once the Medallion is in and lanyard is attached.  Just sayin'.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, cruisingram1 said:

Does that arrive with the Medallion, or does one have to request that separately? ... Do they sell these or any other accessories on the ship?

We didn't order lanyards, but received two with the Medallions.

"Do they sell these or any other accessories on the ship?"  LOL!  Are you kidding me?  The retail shop for this c**p is large, and that's probably why the Library (at least on Sky Princess) is no more.  If they can make money, they're gonna do it.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, cruisingram1 said:

I hope the chat feature (which is grayed out now) works as a messaging app.

Ideally it does.  Practically, it does not unless all are blessed with ESP.  Messages might be sent and received, but the person on the receiving end doesn't know -- no notification.

We just got off Sky.  We all downloaded free WhatsApp on our Androids (maybe it works on iphone, too), and were able to call and text perfectly among ourselves.  And if family and friends at home download it, too, it's perfect to communicate with them, too -- also free.  Just have to remember it works via wi-fi at both ends.  We bought unlimited wi-fi, so could communicate 24/7.

20 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

All four of us will have unlimited internet. Two of us have iphones. Two have androids. I am sure the two iphones can just use imessage to communicate as we do "on land" with either on data or internet. Not familiar with android options. Anyone know what method would work across platforms? That alleviates the extra step of using the princess app.

You might check out WhatsApp. It was a life saver for our group of four, and back home also. See my post #501.

39 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Depends on what you like.  Be CAREFUL with the lanyard. We just got off "Sky".  Hubby went from our room on Sun Deck to the Gym, also on Sun Deck.  When he returned to get into the cabin, he noticed the Medallion was gone from its plastic casing.  The end where the lanyard attaches was intact; the opposite end had opened and Medallion had fallen out.  We did find the Medallion in the hall about three cabins from ours.  We don't know if it dropped on his way to the gym, or coming back.  If on his way TO the gym,  if someone had found it during that hour they'd have had perfect and easy access to our cabin.  I recommend squirting a bead of glue on that end once the Medallion is in and lanyard is attached.  Just sayin'.

The bottom of the plastic MUST connect into one another before closing the top.

So the app was fine yesterday.  I placed a new cruise on hold which immediately populated to the app and now my Shipmate on my existing cruise disappeared from the app.  Although I canceled the cruise on hold it is still showing on the app.  If a cruise is not paid for it should not populate to the app.  Trying to reach Tech Support is futile.  The people who answer the phones have to place a ticket and then the IT department will call back.  When they do call, it may not be a convenient time to speak with them.  This procedure is totally unacceptable.  Has anyone else had this problem?

On 1/6/2020 at 8:42 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I just opened my Medallion box from China, with the medallion and the free case and lanyard.  I popped the medallion into the plastic case and noted that it would be easy to carry in my pocket like a cruise card. Then, I noted that it would also fit into a small Altoid tin if I don't want all of the extra tracking features and just want to use it to unlock my door and order a drink.

IMG_20200106_082402558.jpg

Well, I tried the Altoid tin as a shield for the medallion and it worked.  I could walk right up to my door and even wave the tin around the door lock and the screen and nothing.  Zip. Zero. Nada.

I did use the medallion for check in at the pier and from the time I stepped out of my shuttle until I walked onto the ship was 16 minutes - not that it's a race to get on board.  I carried the medallion in my pocket with the plastic holder just as I would a cruise card. It would unlock my door as I approached.  I used it as a cruise card to pay for a beverage in the evenings.  Other than that, I did not use it for any of the whiz bang features.

Despite my misgivings about the technology, it functioned like a cruise card for me so I'm fine with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well, I tried the Altoid tin as a shield for the medallion and it worked.  I could walk right up to my door and even wave the tin around the door lock and the screen and nothing.  Zip. Zero. Nada.

I did use the medallion for check in at the pier and from the time I stepped out of my shuttle until I walked onto the ship was 16 minutes - not that it's a race to get on board.  I carried the medallion in my pocket with the plastic holder just as I would a cruise card. It would unlock my door as I approached.  I used it as a cruise card to pay for a beverage in the evenings.  Other than that, I did not use it for any of the whiz bang features.

Despite my misgivings about the technology, it functioned like a cruise card for me so I'm fine with it.

Used mine for the cabin door, drinks, bingo, slots. As you mentioned just like I did with the card. I do not like carrying around an iPhone. Cumbersome. I personally hand no need to use it for anything else. Whenever I wanted a drink in the buffet. Any worker near me would get it with no problem at all.

We were on the Regal Princess from Feb 2 to Feb 9. When we boarded I would estimate about 50% of the people had their medallion. We did not as we never uploaded our passports and we would not have received in time before leaving on vacation as this cruise was part of a larger more extensive vacation. It took all of 5 minutes for them to load our passport and give us medallion and lanyards. It opened the door to our stateroom but you are still given a printed card with either anytime dining or traditional dining and which dining hall. You needed to show that card on the first night or two. As I didn't pay for internet service did not use the app for anything else. Although I never ordered a drink at the pool there was pool attendants if you did want to order a drink. There were many announcements about opportunities to learn how to use the app for entertainment. Not sure how well received or attended any of these sessions were as we only spoke to a handful of people who used the app especially as most people look pretty stupid or as if they are in day camp walking around with a lanyard around their neck, especially on the formal night.

50 minutes ago, bookmama22 said:

especially as most people look pretty stupid or as if they are in day camp walking around with a lanyard around their neck, especially on the formal night.

Wow. We find it convenient to wear the medallion on a lanyard around our necks, even on formal night. Had no idea we looked so stupid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Given all the angst that's been displayed in these forums regarding "being tracked" by the Medallion it's somewhat surprising that so many people recommend using whatsapp which is owned by Facebook - the tracking king.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, SargassoPirate said:

How does the length of time to download the correct app and get everything loaded at home compare to just printing out your cruise documents and showing up at the pier?

How does the check in time at the pier with a medallion compare to checking in with a paper document?

If there is a time savings with a medallion or paper document, what percentage of the total cruise length is saved?

What is the rush to get on board?  Food?  Alcohol?  

As far as I can learn, the only difference is that you don't have to wait for them to pull your card and give it to you at check-in, as you already have your medallion.  The rest has to be exactly the same.  So....maybe a minute or so saved at check-in.

12 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

Not sure how well received or attended any of these sessions were as we only spoke to a handful of people who used the app especially as most people look pretty stupid or as if they are in day camp walking around with a lanyard around their neck, especially on the formal night.

People wearing lanyards look stupid.??? 

What's stupid is making unsupportable statements like this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1965 said:

Wow. We find it convenient to wear the medallion on a lanyard around our necks, even on formal night. Had no idea we looked so stupid.

I'm not sure they look stupid but they're certainly nerdy looking. 

Fortunately most of the people look the same.

We keep ours in our pockets.

Sorry if I insulted anyone. I tucked the medallion in my evening bag. In my humble opinion if you are dressing up in a nice dress with appropriate jewelry for dinner on the formal nights, wearing a lanyard around your neck is unattractive. I am not longing for the days when formal dressing meant formal dressing in evening gowns and tuxes but I enjoy the opportunity to wear a nice dress. Don't enjoy that Princess seems to allow anyone wearing jeans/shorts/sneakers/etc into dining room even on formal nights. Several years ago when I did Eastern Caribbean cruise on Ruby Princess, people were turned away from dining room if not wearing long pants to dinner even on non-formal nights.

• Like 1