Asking employees about their jobs and life

md80fan

21 hours ago, Tapi said:

I’m an airline pilot and I get asked questions all the time. At the gate while getting paperwork, or in the flight deck before departure, or riding a hotel shuttle, or in an elevator, or going through security at the airport, people will ask all sorts of questions. From how did I become a pilot, to my education and experience, to what routes I fly, to how many days a month I work, to do I have a family, to how much I make, to do I have to pay for my hotels, meals and transportation, to how do I keep my shirts so perfectly pressed, people will ask everything and anything. 😂 

I personally find it humbling that people show interest in my career, and most of the times I’m delighted to answer questions, even if they may be a bit prying. People are many times fascinated, and more often than not misinformed, so it’s personally satisfying to clarify some of the misconceptions. 

Now, not everybody in my line of work are as chatty as I am. I know that some of my colleagues absolutely hate when people start asking questions, and they’ll go out of their way to avoid talking to anyone, but I personally enjoy it. 

So, do you really sleep most of the flight?

Isn't it like driving a bus?

😄 😄

Teasing.

Fly, but could never see myself as an airborne bus driver. 😄

42 minutes ago, SRF said:

Fly, but could never see myself as an airborne bus driver. 😄

It’s truly the best job in the entire world! I feel like I’m on vacation every time I go to work! 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

How do you keep shirts pressed?

After I wash my shirts and get them out of the dryer, I grab a can of starch and spray them until they are dripping wet and then let them dry. Then I fold them and put them in my suitcase. When I get to the hotel, I iron them. Since they are so heavily starched, they iron quickly and they look perfectly pressed. It’s also a good idea to replace the shirts every few months so that they look bright white. Some pilots wear the same old shirts for years and they look yellow and worn out. 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

It’s truly the best job in the entire world! I feel like I’m on vacation every time I go to work! 😀

I love flying, but would be bored to DEATH doing airline flying.

I have a number of friends who are or have retired from the airlines.  Many love it.  Some are like me.

I have something over 1600 hours, no more than 10 minutes of that time on autopilot. 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

People who lack social skills don't seem to catch on when the deflection occurs. Nosey parkers can't seem to take the hint when they are getting one word or vague answers and keep prying. 

Another part of this is the failure to recognize cultural differences.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Very early in my life I hoped to be a Veterinarian and was working part time with one.

One of his patients was an Akita and he was a wonderful dog.

LOVE the breed.

Max was second male, 4th overall.

Where did you do that?

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked with a Vet in Brooklyn,NY and I began college in a pre DVMD program but switched after 3 semesters to major in Psychology.

OK

Our vet started out working for a vet in DC.  One of their clients was the Japanese Ambassador to the US, who had Akitas.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, ilikeanswers said:

I never get the turndown service. I don't really understand what the point of it is 😳 and besides most of the times when they want to do turndown service I am utilising the room so it just seems easier to tell them not to worry about it. 

I think the main purpose of "turndown service" is to switch out the wet towels in the bathroom from the pre-dinner shower.  Most cabin stewards ask if I have early or late seating for dinner, so they can plan their evening service schedule accordingly -- regardless of my dining time, the towels get exchanged while I'm at dinner.  

• Like 1

As for intrusive questions, I found that mentioning a bedsore / pressure ulcer that I could put my entire fist into, and which showed the orthopedic hardware inside the patient in great detail, is a great way to enthrall one's tablemates at dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I think the main purpose of "turndown service" is to switch out the wet towels in the bathroom from the pre-dinner shower.  Most cabin stewards ask if I have early or late seating for dinner, so they can plan their evening service schedule accordingly -- regardless of my dining time, the towels get exchanged while I'm at dinner.  

Ah I see. Well, on an 12 day cruise I'll probably only have my towels replaced every 3 or 4 days.  So I can discuss it with them.  Maybe do like hotels and leave them on the floor in the AM. I'm kinda into that whole 'save the planet' thingy 🙂

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Unfortunately, my Max was lost to osteosarcoma. 😞

When diagnosed, he was given 4 - 6 months, but ended up living 22 months.

😥My sympathies on your loss.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah I see. Well, on an 12 day cruise I'll probably only have my towels replaced every 3 or 4 days.  So I can discuss it with them.  Maybe do like hotels and leave them on the floor in the AM. I'm kinda into that whole 'save the planet' thingy 🙂

While we will reuse on land we find the towels don't dry as well in the cabin.  We had a cruise where there was a Norovirus outbreak and you didn't have the option of not swapping linens twice per day.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Clearly you took great care of him.

I agree.

I had a cat 19 years who was like a child to me.She listened to music with me,watched sports with me,waited for me to come home from work every day.She had a seat at the dinner table and would pick up her food like a squirrel with her paws.

She passed away from cancer in 2004.