Pet Peeves In Luminae and Elsewhere

Plato123

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are you saying there should be no rules about dress code?

Absolutely not. I'm saying the dress code isn't a front and center item listed on the booking page. Most folks look at dates, itineraries, cabin type and locations, cost and inclusions when booking and I'd bet none (or certainly very few) look at dress code when selecting a cruise line for their vacation.  Personally, both DH and I adhere to the guidelines but honestly don't care what our cruisemates wear. Not everyone subscribes to Cruise Critic (or the like), nor has everyone sailed a cruise ship. We all come from different cultures, families and backgrounds and rather than being peeved at someone's attire I'd prefer finding out about the person....or not depending on my mood. 😉

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Absolutely not. I'm saying the dress code isn't a front and center item listed on the booking page. Most folks look at dates, itineraries, cabin type and locations, cost and inclusions when booking and I'd bet none (or certainly very few) look at dress code when selecting a cruise line for their vacation.  Personally, both DH and I adhere to the guidelines but honestly don't care what our cruisemates wear. Not everyone subscribes to Cruise Critic (or the like), nor has everyone sailed a cruise ship. We all come from different cultures, families and backgrounds and rather than being peeved at someone's attire I'd prefer finding out about the person....or not depending on my mood. 😉

You say you're not talking about dress code but you don't seem to support having one.  We're all different etc.  

If you're at home you can dress the way you want.  I think there are more people than you think who know about the dress codes.

Seeing someone in a baseball cap won't ruin my dinner.  I'll just assume they don't know how to dress themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You say you're not talking about dress code but you don't seem to support having one.  We're all different etc.  

If you're at home you can dress the way you want.  I think there are more people than you think who know about the dress codes.

Seeing someone in a baseball cap won't ruin my dinner.  I'll just assume they don't know how to dress themselves.

Nowhere in my post did I say I don't support having a dress code. In fact I specifically said DH and I adhere to it. I did say I prefer not to judge others. I have no dog in this fight.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 2:06 AM, MJSailors said:

As to the issues of wearing baseball caps at table, mis-behaved children and video chatting in a restaurant ,these are all the result of too much entitlement and too little manners.

In a recent People magazine article, there was an editorial essay regarding kindness. It mentioned the use of computer technology and social media causing a disconnect of people to other people in society. Using text messaging instead of a phone conversation, sending thank you messages and invitations through texting or e mails instead of mailing such correspondence, online shopping instead of going into a store  are all examples of the impersonal way people interact with each other. 

IMO, this disconnect is contributing to the sellf- absorption, entitlement and lack of regard for others we see happening today. Not a good development ! 

I posted a similar complaint on another forum and was read the riot act.  Now, some people just like to be keyboard warriors ... probably did it from the MDR on a cruise.  

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to use their devices while on a cruise but there is an appropriate time to do so.  If you are in a sit down restaurant, proper etiquette tells us that is not the appropriate time to just plunk your phone down on the table and answer any and all calls or texts that come through.  I think there are exceptions (for example:  you've left your kids with one of the baby sitters, there is a family member that is sick, etc).  When the call comes through, excuse yourself from the table if the chat is going to be more than a minute.  

We've been seated at tables during a nice dinner and others are shopping online, pulling up cat videos, talking to someone on the phone while eating, not to mention when some of their food ends up on your plate ... ugh!!  

Another peeve of mine, though, are people that wear way too much perfume / cologne.  Honestly, I think I'd rather see a baseball hat.  

• Like 1

I was the original poster in this thread and my first pet peeve was cold tomatoes.  It seems most of the discussion in the thread has been about appearances rather than the quality and presentation of the food.

Very interesting, I guess most people here like cold tomatoes and tasteless cheese.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

I was the original poster in this thread and my first pet peeve was cold tomatoes.  It seems most of the discussion in the thread has been about appearances rather than the quality and presentation of the food.

Very interesting, I guess most people here like cold tomatoes and tasteless cheese.

That's because food is subjective. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

Well this is the world of Cruise Critic! It never fails me how posts develop and grow....

Re cold tomatoes, sorry I can’t get too upset/irritated as I seem to always find something tastier to order!

My pet pet peeve in Luminea is the high levels of Na they serve in their food. My ankles begin swelling after my first meal and doesn't go away until I return home. This never happened in Blue and our next suite on Celebrity definitely ask for low sodium servings. Surprising that Celebrity would serve unhealthy food like that as excess Na and sugar are two food items that everyone agrees on as very detrimental to your health.

51 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

Your first complaint was baseball caps.  Who do you think started the conversation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plato123 said:

Once a tomato is chilled, the flavor is not coming back.  It is what it is.  Homegrown tomatoes will spoil a person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Well this is the world of Cruise Critic! It never fails me how posts develop and grow....

Re cold tomatoes, sorry I can’t get too upset/irritated as I seem to always find something tastier to order!

Me either, seems like first world problems....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plato123 said:

I don't eat tomatoes. In fact, they used to have an heirloom tomato salad that I'd order but ask them to hold the tomatoes. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sonnycruises said:

Surprising that Celebrity would serve unhealthy food like that as excess Na and sugar are two food items that everyone agrees on as very detrimental to your health.

Actually, not everyone agrees about salt. There are studies that show it doesn't have the impact it has a bad rep for.