Hampton-Brickell vs. Intercontinental-Miami

cruisemama2011

Hello, 

We are leaving out of Miami on a cruise next Spring. We are arriving two days prior to departure. Right now we are booked at the Hampton in Brickell, but for a little more, can get the Intercontinental for just a little more. The only downside is that we would not be able to cancel the reservation for Intercontinental, so I want to make sure we are making the right choice. Any insight that can be provided, would be appreciated!

I prefer the Hampton ..they have a nice breakfast included,   a quieter location,  close to the  free people mover if you want to go to Bayside  or other places

The IC  has a nice view of the port if on that side  but no breakfast included plus  they charge a resort fee 

we did not use the pool at either hotel so for me  it was not worth the location of the IC  over the Hampton inn

Personal choice

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Hampton Brickell is a very nice hotel, probably the best Hampton I have ever stayed in.  But comparing a Hampton to an Intercontinental is apples to oranges. So I won't get into that comparison. A non-refundable rate is an pretty serious deal breaker...

Hampton has more shopping and restaurants close by. The Intercontinental is a classy hotel close to Bayside. Stayed at the Intercontinental with a wonderful port view. Would choose the Hampton for our next cruise.

While the Intercontinental is a nicer hotel, I would chose the Hampton Inn easily because of the location.  There is so many more choices of restaurants and shopping within a very short distance and a lot more people out and about at night. 

At least for now stick with the Hampton.  Why?

Lots of risk with a booking that you cannot cancel.  

Putting that aside as CruiserBruce notes Hampton Inn is one of the nicest of the properties.

All rooms are pretty much the same other than size.

Same is not true for Intercontinental.

Like most things in life they each have pluses and negatives and some of those is personal.

Hampton Inn is not a full service hotel but keep in mind breakfast will be included as will wine each night.  Location is nice as it is in a quite area of town and you will be near lots of restaurants and shopping and it is easy to get to other areas.

Intercontinental is a full service hotel.  It will be busy in the lobby area.  Beautiful lobby but it is a large hotel.  Location nice in terms of being near the port.  Some restaurants.  Nice views.  I doubt for the same price breakfast is included.  

To me the deal breaker is the inability to cancel without losing your full payment.  

Keith

We were at this Hampton in April, and they gave us each a voucher for one free drink at the bar. Nice touch, we got our drink then sat outside around the pool and relaxed.  The breakfast buffet is good, big plus is that the breakfast room area is really large.   As others have mentioned, great walkable location to lots of bars/restaurants and a CVS.

• Like 1

We stayed at the IC in Doral on their cruise package. They offer free breakfast, parking, 

appetizers, and $30 Uber voucher to port. Since we drove to Miami this was a no brainer. it would have cost us the same for just parking at the port.Getting back to the hotel was easy. Got a Uber within two minutes. It helps to wear a colorful top so the driver can see you in the crowd.

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thanks CruiserBruce....

I guess my last stay Hampton Inn stay was too long ago back in the day with the wine in a box.  😀

Keith

No longer a quiet area of town!  Brickell has grown so much.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

No longer a quiet area of town!  Brickell has grown so much.

Yes, good point as usual.  

I'll be checking out the area next month.  :classic_laugh:  Counting the days.  😁

I am hoping my timing will be good for the opening of Perricone's  in the new location but I am not holding my breath.  I guess we could order takeout but that just won't be the same so we eat at other restaurants.  

First they said late summer, then fall, then end of year and now January so if this keeps up it will be January but of 2022.  LOL.

It is amazing how much downtown has changed.

We first stayed downtown in 2007 and that was already after lots of building began with the removal of the smaller buildings which were replaced by much taller ones.  Things slowed after the downturn for a few years and then picked right up and that has continued.

We still love walking around the area.  We do find it quieter though then further up the road toward Intercontinental and Bayside but I agree it is busier with each passing year.  

Keith

6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Would be tough to go with IC if something happened and you couldn't cancel.  But IC is a superb hotel in every way.  Hampton Inn is typical Hampton Inn.

IC is a nice hotel but  IMHO I wouldn't call it superb 

There are so many hotels in the area to choose from.  

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes, good point as usual.  

I'll be checking out the area next month.  :classic_laugh:  Counting the days.  😁

I am hoping my timing will be good for the opening of Perricone's  in the new location but I am not holding my breath.  I guess we could order takeout but that just won't be the same so we eat at other restaurants.  

First they said late summer, then fall, then end of year and now January so if this keeps up it will be January but of 2022.  LOL.

It is amazing how much downtown has changed.

We first stayed downtown in 2007 and that was already after lots of building began with the removal of the smaller buildings which were replaced by much taller ones.  Things slowed after the downturn for a few years and then picked right up and that has continued.

We still love walking around the area.  We do find it quieter though then further up the road toward Intercontinental and Bayside but I agree it is busier with each passing year.  

Keith

Wait to you see it this year.  Lots of new buildings open/to be built.  

Lot's of new restaurants and things which is why I suggested the Brickell area over Intercontinental even though that hotel is a nicer one.  Within the next month or so, a whole new riverfront area will be open with some restaurants and a small brew pub. It's temporary but it should be really fun. Mary Brickell village is finishing up their renovations. 

As an aside....

Perricones has rented space over by American Social and is doing delivery/pickup as well as catering. Not the same as you say, but the food is still the same.  Permitting issues were a hold up the new one.  Us locals are starting to wonder if Steve isn't going to open again.  (Brenda who was one of the bartenders at Perricones is over at Toscana Divino if you knew her.)

OP, both choices are great choices.  I don't like to do hotel reservations that I could not cancel but that is a personal thing.  I also just prefer the area around the Hampton Inn for all the restaurants within such a short distance.  I also personally prefer to be in this area later on at night. 

Definitely Hampton Inn Brickell.  The Intercontinental, while having great views, in my opinion, caters more to business clientele than for vacationers.  I think the Brickell neighborhood is more 'quaint' (used to be anyway.....) than Bayside.

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

We are 2 adults and a 10yr staying at the Hampton Inn Brickell-Downtown in August.  

We will be taking a taxi from airport to the hotel.  Roughly what would the cost be?

How do you get to the port?  Taxi - cost? Or do you reserve their shuttle - cost?

21 minutes ago, phabric said:

We are 2 adults and a 10yr staying at the Hampton Inn Brickell-Downtown in August.  

We will be taking a taxi from airport to the hotel.  Roughly what would the cost be?

How do you get to the port?  Taxi - cost? Or do you reserve their shuttle - cost?

Consider Uber from Airport to Hotel.  Time of day will determine cost but expect it to be somewhere between $25.00 to $30.00

Likewise you could take Uber from Hotel to the Port of Miami and the price is around $13.00 to $15.00 with time of day determining final cost.

Keith

48 minutes ago, phabric said:

You can also take the train line airport to hotel. The train drops you 3 flat blocks from the hotel. Easy walk. Did it with carryons this last July.

The Hampton also has a shuttle to the port. Don't know the cost.