White Island erupts.

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

I think Id have had to leave the ship  if I'd been on it. The atmosphere on board must be awful. I wondered if people left at Tauranga? 

I agree. But getting back home from here would have been expensive, somewhat difficult  and probably very stressful anyway. If it had been been berthed in Auckland then much easier to get back. 

• Like 2

The question of recovery has been a hot topic here most of the afternoon. The helicopter  pilots who know the island well are at odds with the beurocratic officials. According to the pilots interviewed earlier today the current state of the volcano is not out of the norm and they are fuelled ready to undertake the recovery action.

The estimation given by the pilot on site is around a max of 90 minutes to recover the bodies.

Unfortunately this incident has makings of the PIke RIver mine disaster where the rescue teams said it was safe to go but the beaurecrats  said no.

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Very sad about this New Zealand news!!  This includes about the impact on the victims from Australia, etc.  We are now about two months till we depart for Auckland and New Zealand.  Still need to focus more directly as to what and where to focus our time in the NZ North Island before boarding our cruise on Feb. 17 from Auckland as we sail the South Pacific on the way to Papeete.

From the New York Times  today, they had this headline: “Why Were Tourists Allowed to Visit an Active New Zealand Volcano?” with this subhead: "Visitors were allowed to tour the mouth of the White Island volcano despite recent warnings about bursts of gas and steam.".  

A couple of months ago, I was  researching and considering taking a helicopter out to this unique island.  Seemed like an interesting idea at that time, but not cheap.  Clearly this option is scratched now given these developments.  Here are more highlights from this NY Times article: “Geologists had repeatedly warned of increased volcanic activity is now the subject of an investigation, with the death toll from the eruption Monday having risen to six. As of Tuesday afternoon, eight others were also believed to have died, with emergency workers still unable to reach the island to retrieve them.  And the question heard is: Why was anyone allowed to tour the crater of an active volcano, despite warnings about bursts of gas and steam in recent weeks?  And why, as of Tuesday, were there no clear answers to who is ultimately accountable for ensuring visitors’ safety: the family that owns the remote island, or the government charged with enforcing health and safety regulations?”

Here is more background from this NY Times story: "The volcano is the island’s main draw. The town of Whakatane calls itself the 'Gateway to White Island,” and much of the local economy is driven by tourist visits. Already, locals are concerned about the effect the eruption will have on the community as questions of disclosure and negligence swirl.  White Island has long been promoted as New Zealand’s most active volcano, appearing in 'Lord of the Rings'. Around 70 percent of the volcano sits under the water, and tourists walk into its crater and up to the lip of its crater lake, peering into its cavity to see its endlessly boiling core."

Full NY Times story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/world/asia/new-zealand-volcano.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 226,439 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Sorry Terry, I usually love the links to articles you post but not this one. I am amazed at the number of people and media outlets (mainly not Australian or New Zealand) who are more interested in laying blame. The major concern should be the welfare of the those who have survived and their families and the loved ones of the deceased not finger pointing. That will happen when the coronial investigations and hearings are complete

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Possum52, the same question was asked in the SMH yesterday.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/why-were-people-on-white-island-volcano-when-it-erupted-20191210-p53iey.html

I don't think it's laying blame to genuinely wonder how people are allowed to do such a dangerous tour. I was certainly wondering how such a tour was possible.  When they explained on the news that there was no warning sign of an immediate eruption like other volcanoes give, then it was easier to understand why this happened and why people were allowed to do this tour. 

1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Not too sure if this has been mentioned yet, I read a news report earlier today of some passengers on the OTS are complaining that they will now miss Dunedin and the sounds, due to the extended stay in Tauranga. 

Mindboggling! 

Yes I read that. Well the fact they are going home in one piece and with their loved ones to their loved ones at home when others are not is what they should remember. 

Edited by Cruisegroover
Extra sentence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Not too sure if this has been mentioned yet, I read a news report earlier today of some passengers on the OTS are complaining that they will now miss Dunedin and the sounds, due to the extended stay in Tauranga. 

Mindboggling! 

It's a news report I would take with a grain of salt.

There would be disappointment  of course which is natural. The last two times we cruised to NZ we had to skip Fiordland, once due to severe weather and the other due to a MedEvac back to Melbourne. Yes, people expressed disappointment but I did not hear any complaints either time.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

even if it makes some journalists look like school bulletin writers.

Pity they didn’t cover the many mass shootIng’s in their own country with such vigorous scrutiny

As for quoting an Australian academic who once visited the island many years ago. They would have been better off sticking to interviewing their keyboards as they appeared to be doing for the rest of the article

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It's a news report I would take with a grain of salt.

There would be disappointment  of course which is natural. The last two times we cruised to NZ we had to skip Fiordland, once due to severe weather and the other due to a MedEvac back to Melbourne. Yes, people expressed disappointment but I did not hear any complaints either time.

Agreed, it’s unlikely to be a genuine complaint and more likely just a comment of wistfulness or disappointment. Even if genuine, it would be an isolated case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Pity they didn’t cover the many mass shootIng’s in their own country with such vigorous scrutiny

As for quoting an Australian academic who once visited the island many years ago. They would have been better off sticking to interviewing their keyboards as they appeared to be doing for the rest of the article

Puts a different perspective on it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Mindboggling! 

On any cruise you are not guaranteed of going to all the ports listed.

people with travel insurance which covers missed ports will be able to claim.

Some people need to be hit with a wet fish. People have died in tragic circumstances. At least those complaining will get to walk off and enjoy Christmas with their loved ones.

Blame can be investigated at a later stage when those whom have past have been laid to rest and their families need answers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Anger and blame are part of the natural grief process and everyone moves at a different pace and also dependent on how much the situation has had an impact on you. 

I agree with you, but those pointing the finger are at this time not family (that I have heard about) but posters on social media and journalists who are not showing much empathy for those involved in this horrible accident. 

Leigh

• Like 1

Just now, possum52 said:

I agree with you, but those pointing the finger are at this time not family (that I have heard about) but posters on social media and journalists who are not showing much empathy for those involved in this horrible accident. 

Leigh

Agree about the media but others in the legal area must start with the probing evidence immediately before memories fade. And that will automatically result in people coming to their own conclusions. At this time I am sure the relatives and friends of those impacted couldn’t care less what others are saying as they try to work through the next torturous period for them. 

So sad to hear the 85 year old father of the SA man now declared dead to talk of his son. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Agree about the media but others in the legal area must start with the probing evidence immediately before memories fade. And that will automatically result in people coming to their own conclusions. At this time I am sure the relatives and friends of those impacted couldn’t care less what others are saying as they try to work through the next torturous period for them. 

So sad to hear the 85 year old father of the SA man now declared dead to talk of his son. 

Which they have done, the investigations would have started immediately for the Coronial Inquiry which will decide if any one or any organisation is to blame. Those investigations I would think will remain confidential until the Coronial inquiry.

I saw the poor father this morning, that really brings home how the families are being affected. He looked devastated but he was very brave to speak to the media. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think the issue is recognising who has been injured and missing. And why has CC closed off the post of this tragedy on the RCL forums. Very strange. 

Post number 4 explains why CC may have locked the thread.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

Post number 4 explains why CC may have locked the thread.

I didn’t think there was anything there that needed the thread to be locked like that, and with no explanation either. I’ve read much worse that is allowed to continue. It isn’t directed at cruise lines though, maybe that’s the difference 🤨

Apparently skin grafts have been ordered from the US by the NZ doctors.  These are required due to the complex nature of the burns.  I wonder if this is the first time some of the doctors/surgeons have dealt with volcanic burns.  My thoughts are with those patients and thanks to the medical staff working around the clock to treat them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Apparently skin grafts have been ordered from the US by the NZ doctors.  These are required due to the complex nature of the burns.  I wonder if this is the first time some of the doctors/surgeons have dealt with volcanic burns.  My thoughts are with those patients and thanks to the medical staff working around the clock to treat them.

We must not forget to mention the incredible and brave efforts of the first responders without them risking their own lives, so many more may may have been lost.

new zealanders have yet again shown what an empathetic and compassionate nation that they are.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Adelaide Husband and teenage step daughter just confirmed as dead and wife/mother is fighting for her life in Hospital. Such a sad time. At least we seem able to confront reality in this thread. 

My heart is breaking. She has lost her husband and daughter 😢 and is all alone now. It is so tragic. 
The young Sydney man (Jesse) has been found but his parents and sister are missing. Heartbreaking.

• Like 2