White Island erupts.

6 bodies have been transferred to HMNZS Wellington and they will be taken to Auckland. At midday today it was unclear if the other two bodies would ever be located 

11 people have been repatriated to Australia for on going care and 5 patients have been discharged.

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I have mixed feelings about the recovery of the bodies. I know that the family want the bodies back for their closure but it would be terrible if further incidents happened during the recovery. Especially in light of news that they have to search to find the other two. Very risky. 

I did too Sarah, but it appears that 6 bodies have been recovered without further incident. Not sure what the latest is with the two still to be found. To me it seems much to risky for the military personnel to stay too long or to return at another time. I can understand the anguish of the families of those whose bodies are still missing but I think the well being of those doing the recovery has to come first now.

Leigh

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, lissie said:

I think this piece sums up what's different about NZ. This is why people were so pissed off with Princess recently with their fake Maori welcome to the ship for photographers. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/405325/ngati-awa-to-play-a-key-role-in-the-whakaari-white-island-recovery-operation

Thank you for sharing the link. 

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Just as an aside.

The survivors are in need of huge amounts of skin for grafts, another reminder to put yourself on the organ donation register if you haven't done so already and more importantly, let your loved ones know that you have and why.

Yeap and Donate everything. 

• Like 1

The injuries from the burns would be horrific in them selves, but the damage to their lungs from the smoke and fumes would be equally as debilitating. I would think that the  most dangerous times is when they are coming out of the induced comas, and awareness kicks in and shock takes over.

• Like 1

Posting this latest information. I am

praying for the victims and families. I hope the people being treated in hospital will heal well both emotionally and physically.

This is the latest list of people who were on the island when it erupted. 

CONFIRMED DEAD

Krystal Browitt, 21, Melbourne

Zoe Hosking, 15, Adelaide

Gavin Dallow, 53, Adelaide

Jessica Richards, 20, Brisbane

Jason Griffiths, 33, Coffs Harbour

Karla Mathews 32, Coffs Harbour

Martin Hollander, 48, Sydney

Matthew Hollander, 13, US citizen and Australian permanent resident

Berend Hollander, 16, US citizen and Australian permanent resident

Barbara Hollander 49, US citizen and Australian permanent resident

Richard Elzer, 32, Coffs Harbour

Julie Richards, 47, Brisbane

Kristine Langford, 45, Sydney

Anthony Langford, 51, Sydney

Tīpene James Te Rangi Ataahua Maangi, 24, New Zealand

Australian man who died in a Sydney hospital on December 14. Family requested that his details not be released.

STILL MISSING, PRESUMED DEAD

Winona Jane Langford, 17, Australian.

Hayden Bryan Marshall-Inman, 40, New Zealander

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12299951

The eruption claimed its 18th victim when a survivor died in an Australian Hospital overnight .The total is now 20 with 2 still missing .

Thanks David for that information. I hadn't heard about this latest death. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

I hope the NZ Govt denies tourist access forever to that cursed place.  I was talking to an NRMA Insurance Claims bloke in Manila - Phillipines this morning, big volcano there has burst its bubble, 10,000 evacuated.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hope the NZ Govt denies tourist access forever to that cursed place.  I was talking to an NRMA Insurance Claims bloke in Manila - Phillipines this morning, big volcano there has burst its bubble, 10,000 evacuated.

I suspect not. 1) It's owned by private interests for their profit, so they won't want to lose their cash cow, 2) NZ has a laissez faire approach to adventure activities which is why the more extreme activities like bungee jumping and super speed boats started there.

Shutting it down goes against both those things.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:37 PM, NSWP said:

I don't think it will be the NZ Govt who will say about tourist going back to white Island, I think the Maori will put a  Rāhui  (a tapu) on White island.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I don't think it will be the NZ Govt who will say about tourist going back to white Island, I think the Maori will put a  Rāhui  (a tapu) on White island.

I hope so. I thought I had read this was a possibility but can't remember where I read it.

Sad to hear another person has passed..