Park West Galleries

LovingplanB

On 12/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, reallyhooked said:

I won a piece a few years ago unframed.. Had to pay for shipping.  It's still in the tube. 

DD won a piece in a raffle couple of years back.  They wanted over $120 to frame and ship it to her.  She said don't bother, don't need frame, I'll just carry it off.  Nope.  The piece aboard ship is only a sample, hers was to be shipped from their warehouse.  Shipping cost even without frame was $60.  She told them to keep it.

My big gripe is how these auctions monopolize scarce lounge space for days .

• Like 3

I've always been a fan of Thomas Kinkade's art and love the Kinkade prints we got some years ago on our honeymoon cruise.  As a matter of fact I'm looking out from my office right now at the large and lovely framed lighthouse print we have in our pub.  However, if anyone wants a good deal on a large Kinkade print, I have some extras still in the tube.  Before I got a chance to frame the others (also quite large) we ended up moving and haven't had nearly as much uninterrupted wall space since, and I have nowhere left to put up additional large art.  😞 

Though the Kinkade experience was good (aside from my wall space issue, which isn't PW's problem), we had a terrible experience the last time we purchased on a cruise, again some years ago (and we have always felt that it's simply a purchase you decide to make, or not, and that the "auction" aspect of it is just a show).  My husband is an Emile Bellet fan and we bought (we thought) two Bellet prints in matching frames.  I even got up while we were finishing up the contract and said, "Hold on, I want to make sure those frames are actually the same."  However, when they were shipped, we got one in a frame and one unframed in a tube.  I called and complained and they had me go through my contract and helped me find the little code on there that indicated that the second one would be unframed.  Of course, no one mentioned that the second one would be unframed.  "Sorry, there's nothing we can do.  That's the contract that you signed."  Then, when we went to get the other one framed (which wasn't until the next year, due to our move) we realized it wasn't even the same size.  Needless to say, we don't go to the art "auctions" anymore.

Edited by SunsetPoint

We enjoy the work of the artist Tarkay.  We have a few of his prints, just big framed prints and one little signed one. We enjoy them. We were on a Celebrity cruise in Asia a few years ago and saw they had some of his work and we had a TON of OBC that we could not use up so we went to the auction......they got one piece out for us that fit our price range. the price of course was for an unframed print.  They did offer a "deal" if you buy the framing from us then the shipping is "free".. yes the framing was $200, far from cheap but well done and hey it was spend the money to let X keep it....and that is the only way I would ever set foot in one of their auctions.  Yes, they are rip off to be avoided unless you really know your art and valuations.  

My other complain is the way they take over the Sky Lounge on sea days....it is my favorite place to sit and read, edit pictures and watch the ocean go by, until Park West comes along and runs us out...

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, terrydtx said:

Park West is a total sham and the cruise companies should be ashamed that they allow them on their ships, but I guess profits over weighs their sham. 

Holland America  cruise lines has cut out all art auctions on their ships 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Brian Braun's "High Seas Drifter" (part 4 of his Cruise Confidential series) is a fascinating look at the life of a cruise ship art "auctioneer." The sleazy company he worked for has been replaced, but the tactics used seem very similar to what you all have described for Park West. Especially how they make much of their money on shipping "free" art.

I second this recommendation- I read the entire series.  Wasn't planning to go to any art auctions BEFORE reading this, but definitely not now.

• Like 1

Park West Galleries is located about 3 miles from home and I've never been there so it's unlikely that I will waste valuable time on a cruise to go to an auction.  However if someone needs me to go there and pick something up for them just let me know.  I'm sure we can get Fed Ex to ship it to you cheaper than Park West.

• Thanks 1

Honestly if just viewed as a reminder of the cruise, you have some credit and it's cheap- buy it-  However understand you aren't getting the best deal- or valuable piece of art- yes they may have a few authentic items- very expensive- but most are cheap prints some have paint splatter.  Definitely frame at home!

Our son spent money on a cheap thomas kinkade print but liked it and framed at a local crafts store.  Just a reminder of the cruise.

57 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Park West Galleries is located about 3 miles from home and I've never been there so it's unlikely that I will waste valuable time on a cruise to go to an auction.  However if someone needs me to go there and pick something up for them just let me know.  I'm sure we can get Fed Ex to ship it to you cheaper than Park West.

read my post #10 in this thread.

I was told it wasn’t an option.  

I also didn’t understand the restocking fee that they wanted to charge because it wasn’t cash and carry, the print was being sent from their warehouse.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

17 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

I've always been a fan of Thomas Kinkade's art and love the Kinkade prints we got some years ago on our honeymoon cruise.  As a matter of fact I'm looking out from my office right now at the large and lovely framed lighthouse print we have in our pub.  However, if anyone wants a good deal on a large Kinkade print, I have some extras still in the tube.  Before I got a chance to frame the others (also quite large) we ended up moving and haven't had nearly as much uninterrupted wall space since, and I have nowhere left to put up additional large art.  😞 

Though the Kinkade experience was good (aside from my wall space issue, which isn't PW's problem), we had a terrible experience the last time we purchased on a cruise, again some years ago (and we have always felt that it's simply a purchase you decide to make, or not, and that the "auction" aspect of it is just a show).  My husband is an Emile Bellet fan and we bought (we thought) two Bellet prints in matching frames.  I even got up while we were finishing up the contract and said, "Hold on, I want to make sure those frames are actually the same."  However, when they were shipped, we got one in a frame and one unframed in a tube.  I called and complained and they had me go through my contract and helped me find the little code on there that indicated that the second one would be unframed.  Of course, no one mentioned that the second one would be unframed.  "Sorry, there's nothing we can do.  That's the contract that you signed."  Then, when we went to get the other one framed (which wasn't until the next year, due to our move) we realized it wasn't even the same size.  Needless to say, we don't go to the art "auctions" anymore.

We have several Kincaids hanging on the walls we bought on a cruise auction quite awhile ago. We also have a print that my son "won".  Yeah,  my wife probably paid too much for the Kincaid's but the "free" print didn't cost us much and we like it as well. Needless to say we haven't been back to any cruise art auctions but we like the prints we bought and we laugh about the experience now. Live and learn.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, mayleeman said:

Brian Braun's "High Seas Drifter" (part 4 of his Cruise Confidential series) is a fascinating look at the life of a cruise ship art "auctioneer." The sleazy company he worked for has been replaced, but the tactics used seem very similar to what you all have described for Park West. Especially how they make much of their money on shipping "free" art.

Having read Bruns' books, I'm not entirely certain that 'his' company was not one and the same with this one. You know  -- the old 'The names have been changed to protect the innocent (or not so innocent)' thing. But you re right -- it's a fascinating look at the underside of the industry!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:14 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Holland America  cruise lines has cut out all art auctions on their ships 

The art auction looked like a Ghost Town on our Alaska cruise in 2018.  Now they have art photos on display from a London based studio, priced very reasonably, with a sign giving instructions on how to make an appointment to purchase.  This didn't look very successful either, but it definitely added a more pleasant atmosphere in the space.

Fine Art Registry went head to head against Park West Gallery several years ago, being accused of slander, but won the case.  Park West was allegedly playing very dirty behind the scenes.  Ex Park West Gallery employees were interviewed on Youtube, with allegations of abusive training, practice, and final paychecks behind held as leverage for employment contract renewals.  Fine Art Registry eventually got caught with integrity issues of their own, and disappeared from the internet.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I wish they would go belly up so we could be free of them.

On my last cruise on Connie in May they (Park West) had Booked the Sky Lounge for the first 10 days and No One else could get IN.

I let the Guest Services know how I felt about Not having access to my Favorite place on the ship.

Our net cruise after that was on Oceania and Not having an Art scammer was refreshing.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, MamaFej said:

I wish they would repurpose that space to something else that could still make them money, but not be such a predatory experience for their customers.

Maybe a microbrewery, or an escape room, or some other paid experience. 

Yes, I know that some mega ships have these things plus PW. 

art  and craft classes..would be nice

On 12/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, terrydtx said:

Goes to prove the cruise companies have no shame on the frauds they allow on their ships. On one of our HAL cruises the Park West people used the Crows Nest Bar and Lounge for their auctions and limited passengers from using the place during daytime hours. On sea days that is where I enjoy my time.

We had the good fortune NOT to have the "art" guys occupy the space any where on the ship other than their display area.  (12 weeks over the last year on HAL)  On Celebrity they always took over the prime areas and they are the company that wags the tail for the whole ship.  Criticizing them on board may get you in a pile of doo with front office.

11 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

We had the good fortune NOT to have the "art" guys occupy the space any where on the ship other than their display area.  (12 weeks over the last year on HAL)  On Celebrity they always took over the prime areas and they are the company that wags the tail for the whole ship.  Criticizing them on board may get you in a pile of doo with front office.

my post was from 2019 and a lot has changed in 4 years.

Edited by terrydtx

On 12/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, MamaFej said:

I wish they would repurpose that space to something else that could still make them money, but not be such a predatory experience for their customers.

Maybe a microbrewery, or an escape room, or some other paid experience. 

Yes, I know that some mega ships have these things plus PW. 

art  and craft classes..would be nice

a couple we met  at our pre cruise hotel..on a Pacific Coastal  on X ,  ..cruised mainly to add to their gallery of Park West at home..They loved everything about it.  Most all of us just smiled and wondered why?