Two Carnival ships collide!

julia

46 minutes ago, julia said:

Wowza... the port of Cozumel has EIGHT ships in port today, and the Carnival Glory and the Carnival Legend collided! Serious damage, with one passenger injured.

Norwegian Sun was also supposed to be there, but decided to skip Coz. today.

Oasis had a close call.

• Like 1

Eek! Just looked at the port schedule for when I'm there on the Edge on 2/20. Eight ships due in that day. Fingers crossed for light (or no) winds!! (On the plus side, we're the first scheduled in...but that puts us in when all the others come in)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Eek! Just looked at the port schedule for when I'm there on the Edge on 2/20. Eight ships due in that day. Fingers crossed for light (or no) winds!! (On the plus side, we're the first scheduled in...but that puts us in when all the others come in)

Yea when I was there in Nov we had 7 ships in overall.  To many overall with the crowds etc.  Im glad the cruise I go on next year does not have it. I am on Nov 23 Reflection 2020

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

Yea when I was there in Nov we had 7 ships in overall.  To many overall with the crowds etc.  Im glad the cruise I go on next year does not have it. I am on Nov 23 Reflection 2020

I had looked when picking excursions and knew there were a lot. I went with Climb the Coba Pyramid and Cenote Swim laregly because according to CruisePortInsider, only Celebrity and Royal offer this particular one  and with those two lines there are only 3 ships - with the second (Brilliance) not even due in until after my excursion has left.

7 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately more and more and bigger and bigger ships are crowding the ports that were just never built to handle that many or that large.  It's lucky this time there was only a minor injury.  

This.

RCL, Costa, AIDA and MSC now have ships with a max capacity of over 6,500. 

Just imagine how much fun a Caribbean port will be when one of those docks either side of you! 

Edited by Moby Jones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not so sure.  As of 5 minutes ago MarineTraffic shows the Glory in Cozumel.

Cruise on over to the RCI forum. Someone that's on the Oasis posted (#62) a video from their balcony as the Glory was sailing past them leaving the port. 

Edited by davekathy

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Cruise on over to the RCI forum. Someone that's on the Oasis posted a video from their balcony as the Glory was sailing past them leaving the port. 

Read further post 47 and you'll see the Glory made another attempt to dock.  This time she made it.  When at first you don't succeed …..

Edited by ipeeinthepool

23 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The Glory has left Cozumel with passengers. 

As of two minutes ago, the Glory is still moored.   Not sure where you saw that she was underway, but marinetraffic is usually correct.

Doesn't matter....if she does sail, hopefully someone other than Carnival will approve moving the ship with passengers.