Breakfast Served in Main Dining Room?

bryanem

16 hours ago, bryanem said:

I believe I have read before that they serve breakfast in the main dining room, the same place you have dinner. 

Can someone please confirm that, and if so, is it less crowded than going to the Windjammer or wherever the Main breakfast buffet is?  

Thanks. 

I wouldn't call it less crowded.   HOWEVER, its a very nice way to spend a LEISURELY  breakfast. service is typically pretty slow I find and 98% of the time you are  seated with a large table of equally uncaffienated  zombies.   you can get all the usuals, even if not on the  days menu( eggs Benedict every day is my idea of heaven)  and the daily specials are  usually varied and  tasty.  

port days its  less busy as most people head to WJ to get a quick bite before heading onto town.  

We eat EVERY breakfast in the dining room...same foods as all the breakfast venues, but they SERVE you...no searching for seats, or searching for syrup or jelly while your food gets cold!  So much nice, IMO!   And you can order what you want!

• Like 1

Just to clarify.  The buffet I mentioned was in the MDR.  You can get most items from the menu yourself.  Off to one side are the hot dishes and the other side has pastries and made to order waffles.  In the center, you can find lox, veggies, fruit, dried fruit.

We too eat in breakfast in the MDR every day.  We usually go by 8:30am and there’s usually no wait.  Service can vary but you’re given a table; you don’t have to search for one.  You also don’t have to be subjected to the pushing and jostling in Windjammer.  I am not a fan of Windjammer at any meal at any time.  

19 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

If you do go to the MDR, be ready for average at best service if you order off the menu. That's been my consistent experience with few exceptions.

That has not been our experience. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bookish Angel said:

Does the MDR accommodate seating requests such as a table for two for breakfast? Also, does breakfast run after 9:00 a.m. in MDR? No early dining on vacation for us! 

Absolutely!  We always get a table for two at breakfast in the MDR.  Hours vary and it is only open for a short time, you have to check the compass.

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:28 PM, SherriZ366 said:

I see hot dishes and fruit in the MDR breakfast buffet -- were lox, bagel and cream cheese on the buffet?  We sail on HM next month.  

Yes - lox, bagel & cream cheese on buffet. I like getting mine from the buffet bec they give you too much if you order from the menu.  The made to order omelette station is great too.

2 minutes ago, happytocruiseginny said:

Yes - lox, bagel & cream cheese on buffet. I like getting mine from the buffet bec they give you too much if you order from the menu.  The made to order omelette station is great too.

That sounds just like I'd like it on the Lox, Bagel and Cream Cheese.  

Didn't know they had a Made to Order Omelet station -- did they have egg beaters or egg whites?  

4 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Didn't know they had a Made to Order Omelet station -- did they have egg beaters or egg whites?  

Didn't know that either.  Have never seen it in the dining room on the ships I have sailed (but I haven't quite sailed all of them yet).  Good to know  -- will be looking for it in the future!

On 12/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, Iamcruzin said:

We are early risers. We ate breakfast in the MDR at around 7-730 on Anthem. We were one of the first ones in. We only went to Windjammer for breakfast once and will never go back after the wonderful service and quiet MDR. It was the best breakfast experience that I have ever had on a cruise ship which includes sailings on Celebrity and Princess. The buffet in the MDR had all of the basics like danish, fruit, cereal, waffles, french toast and eggs and breakfast meat. If you are in a hurry it's a good choice if you want to avoid the buffet in Windjammer.  They also came to the table and offered danish and bread. I ordered fresh squeezed OJ every morning and we ordered off of the menu. It really didn't start getting busy until around 8:30 and by then we were leaving. Even at 8:30 it was still better than Windjammer. 

Our first RCCL cruise will be in June, and I am so glad that I will have the option for breakfast in the MDR.  I like the early morning, quiet, too, and avoid the busy breakfast buffet as much as possible.

• Like 1

Thank you! Excellent information! On my last two RC cruises I suffered through a crowded chaotic breakfast every mornIng on the Windjammer. I should have read my cruise compass. Through nice people like you on the boards, I have learned about the MDR breakfast, room service breakfast and speciality dining breakfast. Farewell Windjammer breakfast !😊

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, Iamcruzin said:

We are early risers. We ate breakfast in the MDR at around 7-730 on Anthem. We were one of the first ones in. We only went to Windjammer for breakfast once and will never go back after the wonderful service and quiet MDR. It was the best breakfast experience that I have ever had on a cruise ship which includes sailings on Celebrity and Princess. The buffet in the MDR had all of the basics like danish, fruit, cereal, waffles, french toast and eggs and breakfast meat. If you are in a hurry it's a good choice if you want to avoid the buffet in Windjammer.  They also came to the table and offered danish and bread. I ordered fresh squeezed OJ every morning and we ordered off of the menu. It really didn't start getting busy until around 8:30 and by then we were leaving. Even at 8:30 it was still better than Windjammer. 

Our experience has been the same. We avoid the Foodjammer whenever possible.  Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is a much more civilized experience and when the crew sees that we are regulars, the service is even better.

Just now, SargassoPirate said:

Our experience has been the same. We avoid the Foodjammer whenever possible.  Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is a much more civilized experience and when the crew sees that we are regulars, the service is even better.

🤣...Foodjammer....Love it.   We stay away from it as well unless we just want some fruit or cheese to snack on. 

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

🤣...Foodjammer....Love it.   We stay away from it as well unless we just want some fruit or cheese to snack on. 

Thanks.  You can use it anytime, along with Melanoma Deck for the pool area.

She Who Must Be Obeyed will enter the 'jammer in the afternoon just to put together a cheese plate for us later that evening. Other than that, we pretty much avoid it - it's like the Zombie apocalypse at peak times and putting together a meal means several trips since they took away the trays. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks.  You can use it anytime, along with Melanoma Deck for the pool area.

She Who Must Be Obeyed will enter the 'jammer in the afternoon just to put together a cheese plate for us later that evening. Other than that, we pretty much avoid it - it's like the Zombie apocalypse at peak times and putting together a meal means several trips since they took away the trays. 

Yes - it is like a stampede in there at times.  I eat every meal in MDR if it’s open.

We recently spent 6 wonderful weeks on the Freedom...ate breakfast everyday in the MDR...table for 2...it was peaceful and quiet.  Often times, tables were empty.  Tables next to the window were always available...nice.

Note: After breakfast, and inside the elevator, we heard numerous passengers complaining of how crowded the windjammer was...and how difficult it was to find tables.  I zipped my lips and kept the MDR a secret...😎

10 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

We recently spent 6 wonderful weeks on the Freedom...ate breakfast everyday in the MDR...table for 2...it was peaceful and quiet.  Often times, tables were empty.  Tables next to the window were always available...nice.

Note: After breakfast, and inside the elevator, we heard numerous passengers complaining of how crowded the windjammer was...and how difficult it was to find tables.  I zipped my lips and kept the MDR a secret...😎

I forgot about the window seats. Everyday we had one and it wasn't dark outside so it actually served a purpose unlike a window seat at dinner. 

17 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

You read my mind!!  🤭🤫

On 12/26/2019 at 11:06 AM, cb at sea said:

We eat EVERY breakfast in the dining room...same foods as all the breakfast venues, but they SERVE you...no searching for seats, or searching for syrup or jelly while your food gets cold!  So much nice, IMO!   And you can order what you want!

I enjoy the main dining room sometimes but there  can be the issue of slow service   and I don't like to be railroaded to "fill" a table when I would rather sit at another .  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, squadron said:

I enjoy the main dining room sometimes but there  can be the issue of slow service   and I don't like to be railroaded to "fill" a table when I would rather sit at another .  

Just say no and ask for a table for just your party.  No way I am sitting at a large table of uncaffeinated cruisers to start my day!