First Time Regent Cruiser with Questions

lbastida01

49 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

On Explorer, Compass Rose does not open for lunch (apart from Sunday Brunch if Sunday coincides with a sea day).

That's interesting, did not know that.  Is that unique to Explorer?  I've never heard of CR being closed for lunch, but that was before the specialties started opening for lunch.

For the port or sea day lunches in the speciality restaurants, on Explorer,  do you need to make reservation in advance, and, if so, do you do this when you embark or before sailing?

i should also be grateful to be told what sort of lunch menu is available in the speciality restaurants on the port and sea days. I presume it will not be the full menu of each restaurant.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's interesting, did not know that.  Is that unique to Explorer?  I've never heard of CR being closed for lunch, but that was before the specialties started opening for lunch.

I believe it is unique to Explorer. Were recently on Voyager and we had lunch in Compass Ross often but on our last cruise on Explorer it was just the specialties that were open outside the pool grill and LaVeranda.

10 minutes ago, Belfast Taxman said:

For the port or sea day lunches in the speciality restaurants, do you need to make reservation in advance, and, if so, do you do this when you embark or before sailing?

i should also be grateful to be told what sort of lunch menu is available in the speciality restaurants on the port and sea days. I presume it will not be the full menu of each restaurant.

No you don't make reservations for lunch. It is first come first served. On busy days sometimes you are not able to get into them because they are considerably smaller than CR.   We were turned away a couple of times when they were full which left the pool grill or LaVeranda or room service as the options. 

They have lunch menus that are different from their dinner menus.   Regent's website may have  a sample of the menus. 

Edited by 1982CruzStart

3 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

It looks like Regent no longer has the sample lunch menus on its site. The lunch menu is different from the dinner menu in both Prime 7 and Chartreuse. 

Yes, very different, lighter and very interesting. DW, a carnivore, loves the Prime 7 luncheon sliders and really messes the napkins. I love the crab cake or the empenadas. We both love the quiche or the "French ham sandwich" in  Chartreuse. these luncheons are part of why Explorer is our favorite ship. Having a light lunch (with wine) in front of the beautiful art is FANTASTIC!

For a nice leisurely lunch once on board, just head to the pool grill.  Find a nice table out of the way so if you have a carryon it will be out of the way.  You will be waited on and no need to get up to get anything, just sit back and relax with a nice drink and take selfies to send to friends at home.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:53 AM, Caroldoll said:

just to add a little to this post, I am 80 and my husband is 84.  We continue to travel all the time, in all ways.  Walking and climbing are no problem.  It kind of made me feel funny that it sounded lie 84 was the end of the world.  We have booked 5 or 6 cruises.  Hope we don't run out of gas!  LOL

While I totally agree with you, Caroldoll,  aging hits different people differently.  Some are old at 60.  Others like you and my husband and I (83 and 78) are still young enough to do lots of physical activity.  We are lucky!  (Ken and I play golf 3-4 times a week in season, 1-2 times a week right now in winter, walking the 18 holes.  No "buggy"!  In summer we hike as well - at altitude here in Switzerland)

I think it is great that this lady, who clearly has problems, is willing to do the cruise.  And I hope she and her daughter have a brilliant time!  Perhaps the daughter will tell us how it went when they come home?

On 1/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, Camillus112 said:

Hello all,

I will also be a first time Regent cruiser in Ibastida01's cruise (looking forward to meeting her and her mother) and would also like to ask a question.  Will Compass Rose be open for lunch on embarkation day?  DH and I like to enjoy a nice, leisurely lunch prior to touring the ship for all its offerings... and unpacking, of course... 😋

My mother, Doreen, and I (Linda) look forward to meeting you too Camillius!  Good question regarding lunch options on embarkation day.  This forum is very helpful.

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

While I totally agree with you, Caroldoll,  aging hits different people differently.  Some are old at 60.  Others like you and my husband and I (83 and 78) are still young enough to do lots of physical activity.  We are lucky!  (Ken and I play golf 3-4 times a week in season, 1-2 times a week right now in winter, walking the 18 holes.  No "buggy"!  In summer we hike as well - at altitude here in Switzerland)

I think it is great that this lady, who clearly has problems, is willing to do the cruise.  And I hope she and her daughter have a brilliant time!  Perhaps the daughter will tell us how it went when they come home?

I agree with you totally, but just wanted to say that everyone isn't "dead" at 80!  We are all quite lucky for the hand that has been dealt to us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:55 AM, DeepFreeze63 said:

Aha, a mystery to be run to ground. I'll find out (unless someone posts an answer first) at the onset of our 2/06 Splendor cruise and report back so Op will have about 2 weeks before their cruise.

Mystery solved. Small "phone" on charging dock next to bed in Concierge (and above suites) on Explorer and now Splendor - began when Explorer joined the fleet. Can only be used on ship. Purpose for communication to Staff (Spa, Reception, dining venues) or your Cabin when away from the cabin. Easy to use; I tried it yesterday from both ends of the ship. Clip-on to belt. Reception stated that they would be pleased to route calls.

• Like 1

Just to add to the answers regarding Four Seasons breakfast. Our experience has been that the included breakfast could be ordered from the full menu or you could self serve from the buffet. I used both because the pastries looked so good in the buffet. Service and food as you would expect from Four Seasons.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I found them to be very helpful.  As a backup to the suite phone I got my mom a simple flip phone so she can call me via wi-fi calling while we're on board.  I checked with T-mobile and our plan charges 25 cents a minute for overseas calling should we need to call each other while exploring the ports of call.  They did warn us to make sure not to use data or it would be uber expensive while off the ship.  Any tips on how to avoid that would be appreciated.  We are so excited for our cruise.  We'll be headed to Miami from Dallas February, 20, 2020 and set sail on the Explorer February 21st.  I will provide a full report for everyone.  Since this is our first Regent Cruise I'll be very detailed from the eyes of a newbie.  I've been reading the live post from those currently on the Explorer.  It's been a wealth of information so thanks to all who have participated.  Hopefully we'll escape earthquakes and by the time our cruise takes place Regent will figure out if the buffet is self serve or served by the staff and be consistent with their decision and have the staff ready either way.  Small potatoes to me either way.  We're not going to let those kind of things put a damper on things.  

On 1/15/2020 at 9:51 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That must have just started, because we had lunch in CR a while back.

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

That must have just started, because we had lunch in CR a while back.

It is just on Explorer and now Splendor that CR is closed for lunch.  Poeple have access to Chartreuse and/or P7 depending. Both on sea days and 1 or the other on port days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 5:13 PM, blacksmith said:

I think if you go into settings and turn off cellular data you can still make and receive calls and texts. You won’t have internet (data). 
They have staff onboard that will explain and help you with that. 

Uh...maybe in theory.  I haven't had much luck with the computer center staff, especially outside of basic internet connectivity issues.

I'd highly recommend getting with your wireless carrier before you travel and have them walk you through the options.

Thanks for the suggestion UUNetBill.  I took your advice and called T-mobile.  Here's what they told me.  While on the ship remove your sim card and use the ship's wi-fi.  While in port, replace sim card and enter #766# to enable international data roaming which is part of my plan.  Without international roaming turned on I could incur up to $15.00 per MB + tax/fees for using data.  When returning to the ship enter #763# to turn off roaming and remove sim card.  I have a plan that is 25 cents a minute for international calls so making calls won't be too expensive.  However data charges are very expensive so by following the instructions they gave me I will supposedly not incur those.   This information is for my specific plan so as you suggested it's best to call your carrier before setting sail.