Packing secrets

Scubadoc

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose you don't have a mobile and do what you need to do.

My husbands mobile was used for WiFi only while on that trip, so no, the mobile wouldn't have worked unless he was someplace where he was connected to WiFi.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 5:09 PM, mom says said:

Sharpie: a writing instrument with permanent, waterproof ink. Used to write with.

Pad of sticky notes (also known as post it notes): a stack of small sheets of paper with a strip of low tack adhesive on  the back. Used  to write notes upon.

Highlighter pen: a type of writing instrument with vivid translucent ink used to draw attention to printed text, such as a  daily activity sheet

Good to know  Those stone tablets and chisels I've been packing add a lot of weight.   😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Pouch of over the counter meds for cold, flu, nausea, band-aids, etc. (better to have if you need it since those are limited and expensive on board.)

Pop-up hamper (dollar store item) and detergent pods to do laundry if needed

ziplock or swimsuit bag to pack wet swimsuits

Yes, good suggestions. Dollar store has a couple of other items I bring - Disposable rain ponchos, Big clothespins that can double as towel clips, small collapsible (@8") bins (from closet  section) to use on the counter to hold each persons' miscellaneous items on the counter (Far more practical IMO than an overdoor organizer). Also tap lights (which provide a night light without the need for an outlet), Sudoku books. . .

The cruise I just returned from I packed a few more small items since there were four adults in the cabin. Included more magnetic hooks and small string/rope for clothesline and used them. I will never again travel without my small (about 1 in X 1/2 in X 1/4 in) magnets and string. 

After packing the last night, I had gone out and returned very late after everyone else was asleep. I was in the bathroom and dropped an earring in the sink. I could see it about 8 inches out of reach with that small rod protruding from the side of the drain above it. I hauled my big suitcase into the bathroom and found the packet with my magnets and went to work. I only had two of the small ones but several round ones with clip. Long story shorter—after 15 minutes I had two small magnets joined with the earring in the bottom of the drain and two more round magnets stuck in the drain. I never give up so managed to remove the round magnets and use string (in retrospect, dental floss would have been a good choice too) and a paper clip to reach the smaller magnets/earring. Very carefully extracted the earring. Before thinking of the string, I had also tried my travel corkscrew to hold the paper clip. 🖇️🧲

My new name is McGuyver. 📎😂

• Like 2

Same here.  Since retiring we spend far more time on independent tours than we do on cruises.  We will pick up a last minute cruise during land trips.  Even if we do book a cruise in advance, a much longer land trip is always wrapped around it.

We started cutting back on packing years ago.   Physical issues for independent land travel dictated that we do carry on only.  It was challenging at first but now it is our norm.  And if we pick up a cruise along the way, well what we have in our carry on is what we wear on board.  We do not have any room to pack for 'just in case'.

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

Physical issues for independent land travel dictated that we do carry on only. 

I think when not if that day occurs we'd still check the bags. We get free checked bags with United and Alaska and their partners. And we're never in a rush at baggage claim.

• Like 1

We get fee checked bags on many airlines.   My spouse booked a flight last week on a discount airline.  Checked bags were $30.  Carry on bags were $35.   We are so used to carry on now that this was her selection.   Our issue is not air travel.  It is land travel, ferry travel, cobblestones, and hotels,etc. that do not have an elevator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We get fee checked bags on many airlines.   My spouse booked a flight last week on a discount airline.  Checked bags were $30.  Carry on bags were $35.   We are so used to carry on now that this was her selection.   Our issue is not air travel.  It is land travel, ferry travel, cobblestones, and hotels,etc. that do not have an elevator.

Sorry. What I meant is that what you carry on I would check.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, iancal said:

...in Italy it is pointless to put a padlock on your suitcase when on a train.  

Why...thieves take the entire suitcase.  Much easier that messing about opening a bag.

We have traveled frequently, internationally and have never used a padlock.   Never saw the point.  Never had anything stolen.  No issue now since we only travel with carry on.

we use something like this when on trains it Europe to prevent thieves from taking our suitcase from the train.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lumpna-Bicycle-Extendable-Security-Padlock/dp/B07XWVFL1H/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=extendable+cable+bike+lock&qid=1579885438&sr=8-1

• 2 weeks later...

When we traveled with our three sons (10, 12 and 14), we took a small, magnetic dry erase board (purchased at $ Tree) and put that on the back of the door so we knew where they were all the time. Then they could swing by the room and write "pool" or "rock climbing wall" etc. We were in international waters and they didn't have their own cell phones at the time so there was no way of knowing where they were otherwise. That gave them the freedom to do what they wanted and sure saved me a lot of steps trying to find them when it was time to do something together! Someone mentioned a sewing kit and that is a great idea. Just used it this last Monday on a trip when my son's button came off his sports coat. Mine is about the size of a matchbox and holds a needle, thread in a variety of colors, and a couple of buttons. I keep it in my purse all the time. I pack a folder with information about each port, our excursions, tickets, flight information, etc. I didn't see anyone mention lanyards. If you have kids, I'd highly recommend this or they will constantly be losing their sea pass or locking themselves out of the room. We took a magnetic hook and hung them by the door each night and made sure everyone had theirs on when we left in the morning. You can get a hole punched in your sea pass at guest services to attach them to the lanyard. Some cruise lines provide them for free, but others you have to bring your own. We like reusable water bottles for shore days. I don't want to pay extra for a bottle of water when I can take it for free from the ship. Things that I'd packed last trip that I didn't use - floppy sun hat  (it was too windy on the ship to wear it by the pool), beach towel (there was no reason to have my own), dressy clothes for every night (we were too tired some nights to get dressed up for the Main Dining Room and just wore what we had on for the buffet line). There are a lot of really good ideas on here that may work for you. The beauty of packing is deciding what is important to you and how comfortable you are with making do vs. being prepared! 

5 hours ago, stamptherapy said:

Does the Swiss card pass security or should it be in checked luggage?

I don't have any experience with security as I always put it in my checked luggage.  I would not be surprised if an overzealous officer would not allow it even though it is very small.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, iancal said:

Ugh, we did a land based trip this past year.  Six accommodations in five cities over 16 days.  Four had no lift and we were on the second and third floors.  One had a lift so small that it fit one of us and a bag.  Then there was a very nice Hilton for a night.  🙂  

We also had two trains, numerous trams/subways/buses, a few Ubers, and a flight between countries in the middle of the trip.

I can't imagine if we had two bags and a carry on each.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The one unusual item I pack is a cheap ($5-$6) dental repair kit that can be used to reattach a cap or replace a filling temporarily. I have never had to use it myself but I have given it away to a fellow cruiser on at least three occasions.