Can TAs discount pricing?

mafig

2 ways that a good TA can save you money (why we never book with the cruise line).

They often have availability of group rates.  This can sometimes save you 5%, 10% or more.

They will almost always have available OnBoardCredit.  This can also be a nice savings since the amount is fully refundable if you don't use it.

Caveat:  With some severely discounted group prices, OBC might be slim or none.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask as I have always wondered with regards to TA group rates, can you pick any available cabin visible when doing a fake X online booking in a particular category or are you limited to one of the “group” cabins reserved in advance by the TA?

Typically the "group" cabins are blocked as guarantees.  They are not specifically assigned until the cabin is booked with a name attached, at which time any available cabin in the category can be chosen.

1 minute ago, slei15 said:

Typically the "group" cabins are blocked as guarantees.  They are not specifically assigned until the cabin is booked with a name attached, at which time any available cabin in the category can be chosen.

Thanks! I had a feeling that was the case, but thought I’d ask. 

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask as I have always wondered with regards to TA group rates, can you pick any available cabin visible when doing a fake X online booking in a particular category or are you limited to one of the “group” cabins reserved in advance by the TA?

I've done several TA group rate cruises, all booked through an online travel agency. I've gone on Celebrity's u.k. site which list most or all the cabins available and selected from that. I got that cabin every time even though they didn't show up on Celebrity's, or any other site I checked.

From what I read in the past, that option doesn't fly with all TAS.

• Like 1

I have done most of my cruises going thru a TA with group rates.  They are all significantly lower than the published price on Celebrity. 

35 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Caveat:  With some severely discounted group prices, OBC might be slim or none.

I get more than enough up front savings to make up for the OBC that some places offer with there prices  The one thing I notice you dont have choice of all the room categories.  The ones are usually like a basic verandah, C3 and or Aq2.  Cant use the one category upgrade etc.  I usually just figure out which is the best deal.  AQ usually wins because i would end up paying for the Persian otherwise.  And usually like there location for rooms

Equinox 12 day Nov 7, 2021 1800 dollar dif This quote is from Tuesday this week 

TA price

Please find your cruise quote in USD for 2 guests, inclusive of all taxes and port fees.

Deluxe Balcony (category 2B) = $2940.76 total for 2 guests.  

Concierge Class (category C3) = $3360.76 total for 2 guests. . 

Aqua Class (category A2) = $4400.76 total for 2 guests.  . 

PERKS:Choose 3 perks from the list below:

-Classic Beverage Package

-Free Gratuities

-Unlimited Wi-Fi for 2 devices

-$300 onboard credit

Celebrity Pricing same cruise 3 perks aq

image.png.83a05ee36deffa104ab34b7305912c6b.png

Edited by bikerunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I have done most of my cruises going thru a TA with group rates.  They are all significantly lower than the published price on Celebrity. 

I get more than enough up front savings to make up for the OBC that some places offer with there prices  The one thing I notice you dont have choice of all the room categories.  The ones are usually like a basic verandah, C3 and or Aq2.  Cant use the one category upgrade etc.  I usually just figure out which is the best deal.  AQ usually wins because i would end up paying for the Persian otherwise.  And usually like there location for rooms

Have done somewhere around 40 cruises using group rates and with the exception of one, always picked category and cabin with those rates.  The one exception was so severely discounted (Celebrity's rate: $6100 with 2 perks, no OBC.  Rate I got:  $3300 with 2 perks and $250 OBC.  Still was able to get the category I wanted but only a limited number of cabins at that price.  To save almost 3 Gs I didn't complain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is very interesting.  Is the TA's group rate published somewhere?  How do you know the rate?

Never seen them published. I have a few that I know that I have used in past and contact them to see what they are offering.   Many times same as celebrity with an xtra obc.   But search hard enough can find group rates. Not easy to find them but I have persistence to find deals.   

• Thanks 1

You have to read the TA's emails/ads...or contact the TA's directly.  Our largest savings (25%) was found in a cruise critic email...pointing to an agency with the deal.  The agencies do publish their "Group" fares...but as you know, there are many fares for the same cabin depending on what's included so the published fare might be a non-refundable fare.  Very difficult to compare prices these days without calling the TA's directly.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is very interesting.  Is the TA's group rate published somewhere?  How do you know the rate?

The three US online TAs I use to check price developments simply name their group rates "[TA name] Advantage", "[TA name] Group [digit-code]" and the like. Some of those group prices can be up to 30-40% off the lowest "standard" fare, but as mentioned abopve they are usually 10-15% below standard fare.

There are two ways TA's get lower rates than the cruise lines. 

1. As everyone has mentioned group rates. The larger the agency the more group space they hold and on more sailings. When you book early you book into the space and it usually is much less than booking direct with cruise line.

2. Large high-performing agencies get preferred rates from certain cruise lines. The travel agency in turn is allowed to sell these special fares to the public. These fares are for specific sailings that tend to have sluggish sales performance. 

Other than that, agencies must charge the same fares the cruise lines are promoting. Thankfully, travel agents can offer OBC, free gratuities and other perks on the regular promos the cruise lines offer.

If you find the right agent/agency you will essentially come out ahead than if you were to book directly. 

The nice thing with Celebrity groups is your get the current promotion as well. So you get the cheaper rate and say 2 perks. If they offer 3 perks later, you can get the 3 perks as long as there are still cabins available in the group. 

If you book the group rate, it's a refundable deposit and always a full deposit required.

You can choose your own cabin with Celebrity groups, but they usually only offer 1 or 2 sub-categories per category, so let's say for balconies they may only offer 2C and 1B but u can still use the Captains club upgrade.