What wildlife have you seen from a cruise ship? ?

Amberkin

I haven't cruised in several years, but when I did, I spent a lot of time on my balcony staring at the ocean and the sky.  I've only cruised in the Pacific from Alaska down the coast through the Panama Canal.  Seeing wildlife was one of the big highlights of my cruises:  whales (and their calves), eagles and other birds, ocras, sea lions, seals (and their pups), otters, and more.

Since I'll be on the Legend in February, this will be my first time cruising on the Caribbean.  What might I be lucky enough to see?  It'll also be my first time to Tampa and all of the ports, except for Cozumel.  Any more advice for a first-time Caribbean cruiser?

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Over 80 responses to the same question on a thread from last fall!

So my question disappeared?  My question was only about the Caribbean, not the ocean in general like the question referred to from last Fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amberkin said:

So my question disappeared?  My question was only about the Caribbean, not the ocean in general like the question referred to from last Fall.

I don't understand.  Your question is still the original post in this thread.  I just thought you might like to read the responses (which covered all oceans and seas) in an earlier post.  Sorry for trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

The answers above are great but, sadly, I must add that sitings, in our 17 continuous years of Caribbean trips indicate fewer and fewer critters are around to watch.

In fact, it has been several years since we have seen anything to comment on.  We just returned from 10 days in the eastern Caribbean...we managed to see a few flying fish, but nothing else.  Even the flying fish were scarce from what we saw in the early 2000's.

Please report back...I would dearly love to be wrong on this.

• Like 1

Flying fish and the occasional dolphin pod is about all we've seen from the cruise ship on multiple Caribbean trips. 

I did see some recent pictures here on CC taken from a docked ship at MSC's new island in the Bahamas of a giant ray and small sharks off-shore (they have a shark net off there beach) but when we were there 10 days ago we didn't see anything remarkable.  On excursions in Barbados we swam with sea turtles and in Grand Cayman we've gone to Stingray City.

It really depends WHERE you're cruising, as to what "wildlife" there will be!  In open sea, it's nearly impossible to pick out anything that isn't close to the ship...and flying fish tend to hug the hull, so they can be quite visible.  Dolphins seem to enjoy being closer to the shore for their shenanigans!

Only saw dolphins zooming when we were a few hours East of Costa Maya.  Other than that, just some flying fish.  We were spoiled by the lush wildlife viewing in Alaska, but still love sitting on our balcony sailing the Caribbean, scanning the horizon hoping to get lucky with critters.  Great sunsets so there is that... 😎

As someone who occasionally looks for birds while out walking or cycling, I can tell you that the more you look, the more you see. In the Caribbean you can expect to see quite a few species of birds both up in the sky, scooting around at wave level and following the ship as she leaves port. If you're interested in getting up close to local wildlife, there are many parks, reserves and refuges to visit.

Whatever you do, bring good binoculars. They make a huge difference in what you can see.

• Like 1

Pods of dolphin sailing out of Port Canaveral and Tampa.

Sea turtles in Roatan.

Tons of flying fish, birds, and jellyfish all over the Caribbean. 

Sitting on the balcony watching the ocean and looking for wildlife is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise. I can pass on trivia, bingo, Lido games...just give me a balcony and I am happy for hours.