Diamond Plus Perk now Taken Away on Anthem!

yogimax

9 minutes ago, rimmit said:

If it’s not about free stuff, take away the happy hour and drink vouchers and lets see how that goes.

I would respectfully argue the current marketing campaigns and ship design are to attract new cruisers.   The vast majority of pinnacles are retired.  Yes there are exceptions (super Mario, etc.) but without doing market research or calling RCI for exact demographics, I think we can all agree most pinnacles and D+ are retired.  Not all,  but the majority.  

Now, again, I am making assumptions.  The vast majority of new features thrown into these boats tend to be for a younger market.  I do not see a whole ton of the pinnacle crowd ziplining, flow riding, using the water park, rock climbing, ice skating, and riding the carousel.  Again....  this is anecdotal evidence.  There are always some that do but I would say from my observation these features are primarily used by young families and not the pinnacle crowd.  However, if RCI believes their highest paying demographic is truly the D and above their marketing should reflect that based on their advertisements... I don’t see that, unless I am not aware of some new adventure activity trend in the Pinnacle population.

Good points and well stated. However, remember the topic of this entire thread is about  D+ benefits being  taken away. I agree with your assessment of Pinnacles but this thread is about  D+ .  I would almost guarantee the vast majority of Diamond, + ,++, folks are not retired. 

I fully agree the loyalty program in its infancy was a huge success for Royal. The problem is they are currently financially doing well and seem to be forgetting about those of us (D+ +) who carried them through tough times. They have lumped the D+ with the Diamonds. Anyone can make Diamond easily. Do 3 Atlantic crossings in a JS and boom you are there. I think it is a bad strategy.

The second part I was answering to Beachchick was about the reply about her  feeling sad for people who cruise for trinkets. My response was meant to get across the point it is much more than trinkets. It is about recognition. For instance you do not strive to win employee of the month award for the plaque. It is about the recognition. Letting you know you are valued. By being valued you are an ambassador for the company and you continue to book cruises.  Right now I don't feel those of us D+ are valued at the level we once were. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Good points and well stated. However, remember the topic of this entire thread is about  D+ benefits being  taken away. I agree with your assessment of Pinnacles but this thread is about  D+ .  I would almost guarantee the vast majority of Diamond, + ,++, folks are not retired. 

I fully agree the loyalty program in its infancy was a huge success for Royal. The problem is they are currently financially doing well and seem to be forgetting about those of us (D+ +) who carried them through tough times. They have lumped the D+ with the Diamonds. Anyone can make Diamond easily. Do 3 Atlantic crossings in a JS and boom you are there. I think it is a bad strategy.

The second part I was answering to Beachchick was about the reply about her  feeling sad for people who cruise for trinkets. My response was meant to get across the point it is much more than trinkets. It is about recognition. For instance you do not strive to win employee of the month award for the plaque. It is about the recognition. Letting you know you are valued. By being valued you are an ambassador for the company and you continue to book cruises.  Right now I don't feel those of us D+ are valued at the level we once were. 

Sure hope RCL is reading these comments  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Right now I don't feel those of us D+ are valued at the level we once were. 

You’re right, there are certainly many that are upset with this recent change and don’t feel appreciated or valued however there are also many that simply do not care or shrug it off as they never went to the lounge anyway.  How many fall within each category we can only guess at but I’m guessing there are far more that don’t care than there are those that do.

What we can look at to predict whether this will make an impact in the future is the many other ships that do not have a CL lounge.  Take the Oasis class.  There hasn’t been a CL on any of those ships in years yet every time i’m On one of those ships there are huge numbers of D and D+ sailing them.  The one lounge holds just over 50 people yet those upper level C&A members keep coming back in record numbers, just look at the numbers from the TA.  Even the PINS are there in record numbers knowing that they won’t have full access to the suite lounge or Coastal Kitchen.

Why?  It’s because of the ship and the product that Royal is offering and not because of a lounge.  In the short term Royal still has a few of the older ships left where maybe the lounge is a draw for some however in the not so distant future those will no longer exist, this discussion about access to concierge lounges will be a distant memory and Royal will continue to sail with her ships at capacity.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I am sure you remember but it used to be even easier prior to the changes.   All you had to do was 5 3-4 nighters in a suite and you could be Diamond.  Cruise 17 nights in a suite and diamond run complete.  

RCI is definitely forgetting about the D+ in the mix with current changes.  

Your point regarding the C&A being ambassadors is spot on.  I can think of no less than 6 young families we have directly influenced into cruising RCi and working toward diamond after they go on a cruise with us and see our D+ perks.  Ironically,  we have now started cruising other lines more because of some RCI changes.  

I think creating a D++ level would help with retention some.  People need to feel like they have realistic goals.  For someone non retired as myself the idea of hitting pinnacle is so far off.  We cruise about 28-40 days a year and that milestone just feels so far for someone non retired.   So ironically the moment we hit D+ due to likelihood of not hitting pinnacle for a long time combined with some unfavorable changes our cruising and vacation habits have changed.  Although, I still question if they are trying to have some attrition of the D+ crowd in favor of new cruisers.

In regards to free stuff, yes that makes more sense.  

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

This is for.all the diamond plus cruisers complaining.....wouldn't you rather be able to go to the Music Hall to get a drink rather than being in a wall to wall group of people in the Concierge lounge, waiting in a long line?   In addition, the concierge lounge is at the back of the ship and deck 12.  The Music Hall and diamond lounge are on deck 4 (I believe), near a lot of other venues and activity.  I’m Diamond plus and love this change on my Feb 7th Anthem cruise.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

This is for.all the diamond plus cruisers complaining.....wouldn't you rather be able to go to the Music Hall to get a drink rather than being in a wall to wall group of people in the Concierge lounge, waiting in a long line?   In addition, the concierge lounge is at the back of the ship and deck 12.  The Music Hall and diamond lounge are on deck 4 (I believe), near a lot of other venues and activity.  I’m Diamond plus and love this change on my Feb 7th Anthem cruise.

The back of ship deck 12 is where I booked because of the CL. Then 2 weeks before sailing told no access. 

• Thanks 1

On the Jan. 5, 2020 sailing there were 35 D moving to D+ on their next cruise.   

Over the past few years the newer graduates of D+ have never know the CL.  They exist only on Vision, Radiance and select Quantum class ships now and let's face it the CL on Freedom and Voyager class wasn't very pleasant.

Five times on Quantum class experiencing the "enhanced" Diamond Lounge and it's worked out great for me.  

• What did I lose?  An aft view that I can get from the WJ seating area or the deck above it.
  • What did I gain?  A much better happy hour experience.  

This isn't an issue for many D+.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

The back of ship deck 12 is where I booked because of the CL. Then 2 weeks before sailing told no access. 

Saw that coming on my last four Quantum class sailings and didn't book deck 12.  It's been occurring for sometime now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

The reports on here from people doing b2b2b where 1 week they have CL access then the next 2 no access shows the lack of value RC put on D+.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Sure hope RCL is reading these comments  

Me too.

I would happily as D+ not have CL access if they gave us 4 free drinks vouchers instead as John said 4 vouchers would get  2 Pina colada(2frozen+2 alcohol).

We would get these in a bar then 4 glasses of wine in a speciality restaurant with dinner and avoid the DL except for coffee during the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I agree and love the flexibility to use various bars and lounges around the ship.  

Three drinks is more than enough, we can enjoy a cocktail must anywhere we want. We’ve met terrific folks, some new cruisers and some seasoned cruisers. And -the newer cruisers never complain about anything. 

m

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

On the Jan. 5, 2020 sailing there were 35 D moving to D+ on their next cruise.   

Over the past few years the newer graduates of D+ have never know the CL.  They exist only on Vision, Radiance and select Quantum class ships now and let's face it the CL on Freedom and Voyager class wasn't very pleasant.

Five times on Quantum class experiencing the "enhanced" Diamond Lounge and it's worked out great for me.  

• What did I lose?  An aft view that I can get from the WJ seating area or the deck above it.
  • What did I gain?  A much better happy hour experience.  

This isn't an issue for many D+.   

I agree.

I also think it's a status thing. Only I need to know my status.

D Lounge is fine with me and it's nice during the day for a cup of coffee and a bit peace and quiet. 

Surprised there isn't a complaint about the smaller font on the cards as that can't be flaunted as easy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

I am glad I was able to entertain you. Your post is equally hilarious. I

Thanks! I'm here to please.

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

If my post insinuates Royal needs me, your post insinuates Royal does not need a loyalty program at all. Sooner or later, the market will become saturated. I believe there are 30 new builds in the industry launched this year?  Repeat customers will continue to be the lifeline of each cruise line.

Perhaps in my heavy-handed approach to being witty, I inferred that the loyal crowd was not needed. That's not what I meant. Royal wants to appeal to ALL demographics - repeat cruisers, new cruisers, young, old, active, sedate,  etc. The loyal following of repeat cruisers is attractive demographic in that Royal doesn't really have to work to hard to get. They already know the product, are more likely to be financially secure with oddles of disposable income and free time from work (if not retired or have the ability to work remotely) than someone just starting out. It's a nice source of steady income that won't cost Royal much to attract, other than the expense of the dedicated lounges and whatever discounts/freebies provided.

But that same crowd also skews older and age and health will eventually limit future cruises as opposed to the younger/newer generations that have many decades of cruising ahead. That is where the life-blood is.The bread-and-butter is in the 7 day or less Caribbean cruise. That pays the bills.  If Royal is looking long-term, it needs to decide what is best for ALL cruisers.  Otherwise, Royal will morph into Holland American.

Maybe an intense e-mail writing campaign can get Royal to change it's mind and give a temporary reprieve regarding CL access. Then again maybe not as others have been more eloquent than I in proving that changes must be made. Some people may jump ship if the changes to the C&A are too severe, mostly out of spite. But they will be replaced by the next generation of D+ cruisers who never had CL access. And most love cruising and love Royals product and will continue to sail Royal if there is only 1 lounge vs 2 lounges (or no lounges).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

I am glad I was able to entertain you. Your post is equally hilarious. If my post insinuates Royal needs me, your post insinuates Royal does not need a loyalty program at all. Sooner or later, the market will become saturated. I believe there are 30 new builds in the industry launched this year?  Repeat customers will continue to be the lifeline of each cruise line.

Using your corporation analogy, fact is, if a company does not maintain top talent, it soon becomes toxic and quality issues arise. They need to take care of their employees in a way to attract more talent.  Regardless,  Royal will always need to retain its repeat (base) customers.  Sorry to burst your bubble. 

Can you point out a loyalty program that has never changed?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thanks! I'm here to please.

Perhaps in my heavy-handed approach to being witty, I inferred that the loyal crowd was not needed. That's not what I meant. Royal wants to appeal to ALL demographics - repeat cruisers, new cruisers, young, old, active, sedate,  etc. The loyal following of repeat cruisers is attractive demographic in that Royal doesn't really have to work to hard to get. They already know the product, are more likely to be financially secure with oddles of disposable income and free time from work (if not retired or have the ability to work remotely) than someone just starting out. It's a nice source of steady income that won't cost Royal much to attract, other than the expense of the dedicated lounges and whatever discounts/freebies provided.

But that same crowd also skews older and age and health will eventually limit future cruises as opposed to the younger/newer generations that have many decades of cruising ahead. That is where the life-blood is.The bread-and-butter is in the 7 day or less Caribbean cruise. That pays the bills.  If Royal is looking long-term, it needs to decide what is best for ALL cruisers.  Otherwise, Royal will morph into Holland American.

Maybe an intense e-mail writing campaign can get Royal to change it's mind and give a temporary reprieve regarding CL access. Then again maybe not as others have been more eloquent than I in proving that changes must be made. Some people may jump ship if the changes to the C&A are too severe, mostly out of spite. But they will be replaced by the next generation of D+ cruisers who never had CL access. And most love cruising and love Royals product and will continue to sail Royal if there is only 1 lounge vs 2 lounges (or no lounges).

The current RCCL  UK. TV campaign is directly aimed at family friendly cruising.

This is obviously their target market for new business.

Up to now the C&A loyalty scheme has looked after a chunk of repeat business.

Edited by grapau27

27 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

How do you flaunt your card unless you place it right in front of someone’s face??  I understand suite cards are different because if color but regular cards look pretty much the same to me.

You could hardly see the status now

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The current RCCL  UK. TV campaign is directly aimed at family friendly cruising.

This is obviously their target market for new business.

Up to now the C&A loyalty scheme has looked after a chunk of repeat business.

It's a good advert

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I agree and love the flexibility to use various bars and lounges around the ship.  

Three drinks is more than enough, we can enjoy a cocktail must anywhere we want. We’ve met terrific folks, some new cruisers and some seasoned cruisers. And -the newer cruisers never complain about anything. 

m

I've ran into cool people in Casino Bar

• Like 1

Just now, Beachin2 said:

How did GM lose their once dominant market share?  One customer at a time.

I thought it was refusing to change, producing crap no one wanted, misjudging changes in the market, and an unyielding work force.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1