Thanksgiving

Nanasue1950

We will be on the Star Princess this November cruising to Hawaii. We will dock in Hilo on Thanksgiving. I am wondering if they will have Christmas decorations on the ship, up then, and have any special happenings for the holiday? Also Black Friday comes next and we will be in Oahu. Any chance of getting a two for one cruise sail?! Lol!

Agree with CruiserBruce, and based on our Thanksgiving and Christmas cruising experience, there will not likely be any decorations up at all during Thanksgiving, but will be starting to show early December for the Holiday week.  (And based on our NYE experience, they come down right after NYE).

Other than a Thanksgiving dinner menu there will also not likely be any special Holiday celebrations on board during your cruise.  And noting that you add LOL to the Black Friday sale comment, I would concur that there will probably not be any genuine 2 for 1 sales then.  But there are always BF "sales" going on - the question is at what real value v any other sales during the year.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, Nanasue1950 said:

We will be on the Star Princess this November cruising to Hawaii. We will dock in Hilo on Thanksgiving. I am wondering if they will have Christmas decorations on the ship, up then, and have any special happenings for the holiday? Also Black Friday comes next and we will be in Oahu. Any chance of getting a two for one cruise sail?! Lol!

@Nanasue1950

Howdy! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍 

Since your topic concerns a specific ship, I have moved your thread to the  Princess Cruises forum where it will be on-topic. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.  

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

10 hours ago, Nanasue1950 said:

We are on the same cruise. Usually the ship gets decorated on turn around day after the Thanksgiving holiday, but with this cruise, there is still another week to go before it arrives back in San Pedro, so I’m not expecting a full transformation from Turkey Day decorations over to Christmas. It’s possible that there might be a token effort to dress the ship a little to kick off the festive season. 

We've been to Hawaii three times in the same time frame and no Christmas decorations.  Each time the decorations began going up as we disembarked.  FWIW, they did put out Thanksgiving decorations for Thanksgiving day.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, Nanasue1950 said:

They had a gift card promo last Black Friday / Cyber Monday.  Pay for $500 card & get a $25 one added on. 

2 hours ago, Nanasue1950 said:

We are on the Hawaiian cruise until Dec. 6. Do you still think there will be no decorations then? I appreciate your info.

More than likely the Christmas decorations will be brought on board and be put up as you are disembarking.  The same as we experienced, BTW.

Edited by ar1950

On 2/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, Nanasue1950 said:

We are on the Hawaiian cruise until Dec. 6. Do you still think there will be no decorations then? I appreciate your info.

I would expect them to go up the days after thanksgiving, so I would think yes, they will be up by December 6th, assuming they are brought on the week before.