Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

I agree with the above comment that it is unlikely the crew bar is open because the crew have been told to remain in their cabins when they are not required to be elsewhere.

In normal circumstances, the crew bar operates for a limited number of hours every evening with prices much, much lower than for passengers. BTW, there are strict rules about over-indulging in alcohol (as there should be).

7 minutes ago, erber said:

For those of us that don't use Facebook, can someone summarize what he says?

he lost internet again...he got his cornflakes this morning and they seem fine...honestly nothing more than that. he says he will be some sort of passenger ambassador in the future for princess.

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

he lost internet again...he got his cornflakes this morning and they seem fine...honestly nothing more than that. he says he will be some sort of passenger ambassador in the future for princess.

What were his 2 announcements?

Thanks for the update. I am glad they are okay. We have five cruises booked throughout this year, two with Princess. We are supposed to go to Bahamas on MSC next week on a three day cruise with family. Still planning to go.

1 hour ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Practically any food services provider to a large school district.   Or any airport catering company.

Geez, the arguments that people get into here...

Sorry, but no. Let's say the moment Princess found out they were being quarantined, the food service head calls the largest school district in Japan and says, "Hey, I need to feed 3,700 people three meals a day, starting in two hours."

You think the school district says, "Yeah, sure, see you in two hours?"

LOL

Again, at the risk of repeating myself, I never once said it wasn't possible. I said it was impossible on day 1. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Sorry, but no. Let's say the moment Princess found out they were being quarantined, the food service head calls the largest school district in Japan and says, "Hey, I need to feed 3,700 people three meals a day, starting in two hours."

LOL

Again, at the risk of repeating myself, I never once said it wasn't possible. I said it was impossible on day 1. 

Yeah, so, if the GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN calls the largest school district and says WE HAVE A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY WHERE PEOPLE CAN DIE CAN YOU HELP US?  Then yes, they’re getting their meals.  I mean seriously, this isn’t that hard.  The dining services at any university could also have done this.  Like, any large catering company would love the free press that came along with doing something like this.  

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

Great news for the crew, well done Princess.

This could also signal a possible time out for the Diamond from sailing in the next 2 months as a totally new crew would be required.

I was just wondering about that!  I am due to sail March 15th (first day back for the Diamond) and am now wondering if this means that the entire existing crew will be turned over for new crew? Where do they pluck 1000+ experienced crew from?  Brilliant move by Princess though ... 

4 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

LOL

Of course it is impossible, that is why I always carry a large supply of boxed lunches when we go onboard a cruise!    

One thing that we do very efficiently in this world is feed people.   I find it astounding how little contact some people here have with the working world, but I guess as cruisers we have led rather privileged lives.   Even when not cruising we eat a lot better than most people, and I doubt very may people here have had the sort of job that most people have -- such as taking the steamed veggies out of the industrial sized vat, chopping them up and doling them out onto trays that are then sent through the sealing machine.   We never even notice that food unless we are complaining about it on the (400 passenger) airplane that we are taking to our cruise.   We somehow think that the flight attendants have a full kitchen somewhere where they prepare this stuff!   Unless we sit in the front row of first class, most of us don't notice that  van marked Aramark  loading hot plates into the warming ovens by the entrance.  

We probably don't even notice how many planes are taking off from SFO, and how many Aramark vans are running around on the tarmac, and if we do we think that somehow they loaded themselves with food rather than that there is a mob of people in a windowless warehouse, slicing and placing.   Hour after hour, day after day.   The caterers like Aramark have moved into supplying school lunches (a sad thing in my opinion, when I went to school we had a school kitchen).   They would have no problem supplying an extra 10,000 'units' a day, or the equivalent of 25 international flights.   These places tend to be severely underutilized, they could produce a lot more food than they do since they need to be sized for surge capacity for holidays.

I think we tend to imagine that robots do everything, but when I visited a modern IQF processing plant on a tour (sending our best blueberries to Japan) there was a long line of people in those stylish caps picking through the berries and guiding stuff into the bagging machine.   When we talk blithely of decontaminating the cruise ship we forget that you are talking about putting an army of people cutting out rugs, replacing toilets, pulling down false ceilings and hauling contaminated beds out of cabins.   When I worked on computers all day I thought that everybody else's job was easy, when I retired to the country and started remodeling projects and messing about with yachts I quickly realized that there was a lot that goes on between imagining the job done and actually doing it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sawtooth said:

China just reported over 14,000 new cases of the virus.  Apparently changed how they are reporting.😳

They are now using clinical diagnosis, in addition to confirmed tests.  The paper that came out a few days ago that everyone speculated about it showing 1 case with 24 incubation time, real purpose was to take a look at clinical symptoms in 1000 patients.  One of the things that the paper talked about was using lung cat scans.  It now appears that China is now including patients that show the disease on lung cat scans, but have not been tested.  That is where the big jump came from. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Of course it is impossible, that is why I always carry a large supply of boxed lunches when we go onboard a cruise!    

One thing that we do very efficiently in this world is feed people.   I find it astounding how little contact some people here have with the working world, but I guess as cruisers we have led rather privileged lives.   Even when not cruising we eat a lot better than most people, and I doubt very may people here have had the sort of job that most people have -- such as taking the steamed veggies out of the industrial sized vat, chopping them up and doling them out onto trays that are then sent through the sealing machine.   We never even notice that food unless we are complaining about it on the (400 passenger) airplane that we are taking to our cruise.   We somehow think that the flight attendants have a full kitchen somewhere where they prepare this stuff!   Unless we sit in the front row of first class, most of us don't notice that  van marked Aramark  loading hot plates into the warming ovens by the entrance.  

We probably don't even notice how many planes are taking off from SFO, and how many Aramark vans are running around on the tarmac, and if we do we think that somehow they loaded themselves with food rather than that there is a mob of people in a windowless warehouse, slicing and placing.   Hour after hour, day after day.   The caterers like Aramark have moved into supplying school lunches (a sad thing in my opinion, when I went to school we had a school kitchen).   They would have no problem supplying an extra 10,000 'units' a day, or the equivalent of 25 international flights.   These places tend to be severely underutilized, they could produce a lot more food than they do since they need to be sized for surge capacity for holidays.

I think we tend to imagine that robots do everything, but when I visited a modern IQF processing plant on a tour (sending our best blueberries to Japan) there was a long line of people in those stylish caps picking through the berries and guiding stuff into the bagging machine.   When we talk blithely of decontaminating the cruise ship we forget that you are talking about putting an army of people cutting out rugs, replacing toilets, pulling down false ceilings and hauling contaminated beds out of cabins.   When I worked on computers all day I thought that everybody else's job was easy, when I retired to the country and started remodeling projects and messing about with yachts I quickly realized that there was a lot that goes on between imagining the job done and actually doing it.

Really want the passengers to get upset, start giving them airline meals, in addition to keeping them isolated in their rooms.😉

Edited by npcl
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

Really want the passengers to get upset, start giving them airline meals, in addition to keeping them isolated in their rooms.😉

Airline food prepared by someone who is healthy vs. cruise line food prepare by someone who might have the virus. Easy choice,

1 hour ago, Alcairns said:

Which cruise are you referring to? There is no sailing on the 13th for either of the two affected vessels Diamond and Sapphire. Diamond cruises for February were cancelled a week ago! I am sure those people will be very happy they are not joining a contaminated ship with the danger of being infected! 

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html

iwas relying on this post: Princess has cancelled the Feb 13 and Feb 23rd Sapphire Princess sailings out of Singapore.  Booked passengers woke up to find notices from Princess today on the cancellations

On 2/2/2020 at 10:40 PM, caribill said:

As the letter from RCL says, those transiting Hong Kong will be denied boarding. Princess, so far, is excluding Hong Kong transits as a reason to deny boarding.

As I write this Hong Kong and Singapore both report 50 confirmed cases.  The list of cities could grow.

There is no way I would go on any cruise right now.  You only need one person in 3700 passengers and crew to get you quarantined.  OR 0.027 percent of people on board gets you quarantined. 

Exactly how perfect of occupants health do you expect as the contagion grows in weeks to come?????

At the current time the Red Cross in the US is working with Health and Human Services to support the evacuates from china at the various military bases in the US.  I find it hard to believe that the Japanese Red Cross could not support the feeding on this ship..

HHS has done a wonderful job of preparing all of our POE for this emergency and hopefully they will never have this sort of problem. 

Why Japan can not take all of the passengers to one of the US or Japanese bases in Japan and quarantine them there is beyond me.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Airline food prepared by someone who is healthy vs. cruise line food prepare by someone who might have the virus. Easy choice,

This times a million.  As I said, years and years ago before my professional life I worked in catering for Sodexho-Marriot.  10,000 meals is not that much for a large catering company, and especially not given the emergency circumstances attendant here.  Yeah they might have been cold meals at first, but holy moly is that better than being served by crew members who might be ill.

• Like 1