Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

Interesting video from a couple on board (in contrast to others this one is concise and factual). One troubling thought is that this couple is getting mail asking them to "stay away" and "not come home". Also their next door neighbor, who they share an open balcony door, has had two kidney transplants, a very risky situation, seems they would get them off.

https://www.facebook.com/khtsradio/videos/198935524585487

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

A few days ago I read the numbers of each age group. There were quite a few over 80 and even some in their 90s.

"As of last Wednesday, about 80 percent of the 2,666 passengers were age 60 or older, with 215 in their 80s and 11 in their 90s."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/#.XkV7KUp7lEY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Interesting video from a couple on board (in contrast to others this one is concise and factual). One troubling thought is that this couple is getting mail asking them to "stay away" and "not come home". Also their next door neighbor, who they share an open balcony door, has had two kidney transplants, a very risky situation, seems they would get them off.

https://www.facebook.com/khtsradio/videos/198935524585487

she keeps saying incubation is 10 days...not sure where she got that....she seems to find masks amusing and the neighbor is at very high risk...no masks over there either....I hope it all works out for them.

• Like 2

Masks may not be sufficient now:

“Health authorities in China have raised alarm over risks that the novel coronavirus can be transmitted through the eyes,” stressed Masaya Yamato, director of the Infectious Diseases Center at Osaka-based Rinku General Medical Center. “Even if the officer was just collecting survey responses, he should have worn goggles.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/13/national/science-health/concern-medical-staff-japan-covid-19/#.XkV-RhNKjPA

3 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

The way it's phrased, the up-front mention that food to suit preference will not be available, seems almost meant to be off-putting to Westerners.

Personally, I've seen Western food available even in convenience stores in Japan. 

I think it is ludicrous to think that the people who are organizing the food distribution in this operation are trying to annoy anyone.  If you really think that the Japanese govenment/CDC/WHO/Princess is actually alienating "Westerners" by serving what they can serve, I kindly suggest that you re-evaluate exactly what prompted to think that way.  The memo is to let the passengers know that you will receive what they give you, in a bento box container.   Also, these meals are not part of their vacation package from Princess Cruises.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The total number of infections is 218, of which (if I remember correctly) only 5 are crew.

Of the those infected onboard the Diamond Princess, at least 20 are crew members. These include restaurant and bar staff, those responsible for cleaning guests’ rooms, and some were sharing rooms with other crew members. Because quarantine inspectors and crew are in constant contact with passengers, there’s a possibility this frequent contact has become one of the infection routes.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/13/national/science-health/concern-medical-staff-japan-covid-19/#.XkV-RhNKjPA

6 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

The quarters might be inferior to say, a standard balcony cabin. The internet would probably be better though!

I would expect no free Internet at all, so those without foreign plans would not have Internet access if this was true.

Certainly no free phone calls to home and family.

And if you need to recharge your digital devices, you better have plugs that fit Japanese outlets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

It doesn't address whether one's luggage would accompany.

I would assume that all of the passenger's belongings would go with them if they left the ship to complete the quarantine elsewhere.

But that does raise another question in my mind.

There have been posts questioning what Princess must do to clense the cabins to be sure all traces of the virus are removed before it is put into cruise service again.

But what about the personal belongings of the passengers? I assume they will not be treated in any way to be sure that traces of the virus (if still alive) would not travel home with them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

There have been posts questioning what Princess must do to clense the cabins to be sure all traces of the virus are removed before it is put into cruise service again.

But what about the personal belongings of the passengers? I assume they will not be treated in any way to be sure that traces of the virus (if still alive) would not travel home with them.

Did you mean "will be treated" instead of "not"?  It is a good question with no answers yet.

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

Did you mean "will be treated" instead of "not"?  It is a good question with no answers yet.

No. There have been no posts from those on the ship indicating there are any plans to be sure their personal belongings will not have traces of the virus on them when they go home.

According to these maps the Diamond Princess has the largest number of infections outside of China.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-wuhan-coronavirus-maps.html

Sad to say but the ship has become a "recipe" for infection. By tomorrow there may be more infected on the ship than the rest of world combined (not counting China), a grim statistic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

No. There have been no posts from those on the ship indicating there are any plans to be sure their personal belongings will not have traces of the virus on them when they go home.

You are right which begs the question you posed. Will their belongings contain traces of the virus?

6 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

According to these maps the Diamond Princess has the largest number of infections outside of China.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-wuhan-coronavirus-maps.html

Sad to say but the ship has become a "recipe" for infection. By tomorrow there may be more infected on the ship than the rest of world combined (not counting China), a grim statistic.

I read that 20 sick passengers on the Westerdam have been tested, and the authorities are waiting for results before letting passengers disembark in Cambodia.  Hopefully no one on that ship has the Coronavirus. 

Edited by cruiserchuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Of the those infected onboard the Diamond Princess, at least 20 are crew members. These include restaurant and bar staff, those responsible for cleaning guests’ rooms, and some were sharing rooms with other crew members. Because quarantine inspectors and crew are in constant contact with passengers, there’s a possibility this frequent contact has become one of the infection routes.

no crew should be cleaning any passenger rooms at all...leave the cleaning projects at the door.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think it may be targetted more at getting the Japanese passengers off the ship, based on the comment about the meals that would be provided at the quarantine housing facility:

"The meals provided will be Japanese bento-style boxes. No Western meals will be available"

I could happily handle Japanese food for lunch and dinner but not for breakfast! And, yes, I have tried it!

Not that it really matters though. Reducing the number of people in quarantine on the ship itself will reduce the pressure on the crew. It's a good move, I think.

Considering that they are in Japan that they would serve Japanese food.  I also expect, though the letter does not mention it, that entertainment on TV will be much more limited then on the ship.  Probably mostly Japanese channels and maybe CNN international.  I also would not expect the rooms to be any larger than the ship rooms.  Unless you are in a high end hotel the rooms tend to be pretty small by western standards.  If I was on the ship I would ask if they have pictures of the rooms and other information before deciding to get off.

12 minutes ago, npcl said:

Considering that they are in Japan that they would serve Japanese food.  I also expect, though the letter does not mention it, that entertainment on TV will be much more limited then on the ship.  Probably mostly Japanese channels and maybe CNN international.  I also would not expect the rooms to be any larger than the ship rooms.  Unless you are in a high end hotel the rooms tend to be pretty small by western standards.  If I was on the ship I would ask if they have pictures of the rooms and other information before deciding to get off.

rooms are small by "western" standards or "American" standards? European hotel rooms are vastly different from the American ones.

If i were on the ship and wanted to get off because of the way new infections are reported almost every day or so, the size of the room will be the least of my concern (sustainable food and access to medical facility might be)

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 2

Just now, hal2008 said:

rooms are small by "western" standards or "American" standards. European hotel rooms are vastly different from the American ones.

If i were in the ship and wanted to get off because of the way new infections are reported almost every day or so, the size of the room wil lbe least of my concern (sustainable food and access to medical facility might be)

The main reason they are allowing people off is due to the stress.  Just pointing out that being on land in a small hotel room in Japan might not provide much relief.

Considering the the median time to develop symptoms is from 3 to 6.5 days.  That they are 8 days into quarantine, new cases among the passengers are still likely to be those infected prior to the quarantine period.  Would be interesting if they would break down how many of the new cases are passengers, passengers in a room with a previously diagnosed case, crew.

Considering the delay due to testing and the limited testing, the number of newly identified cases among passengers should be decreasing fairly quickly now.  Considering that only a third of the passengers have been tested there are probably some out there that have not shown symptoms, or that have very minor symptoms that will be identified during wide scale testing.

Crew with there lower of degree of isolation not so much.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

rooms are small by "western" standards or "American" standards? European hotel rooms are vastly different from the American ones.

If i were on the ship and wanted to get off because of the way new infections are reported almost every day or so, the size of the room will be the least of my concern (sustainable food and access to medical facility might be)

Older European hotels yes, newer ones not so much.  Japanese hotel rooms tend to be smaller yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, brisalta said:

They definitely are much smaller in Japan as is housing in general.

As I put it on one trip to Japan in a new Japanese hotel, as opposed to a western hotel chain, there was room for myself or my suitcase in the room, but not both at the same time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, npcl said:

Would be interesting if they would break down how many of the new cases are passengers, passengers in a room with a previously diagnosed case, crew.

The Japan Times reports 20 crew members are infected and this is before the new 44 added today.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/13/national/science-health/concern-medical-staff-japan-covid-19/#.XkWckhNKjPA