Diffuser?

mommy5

46 minutes ago, mommy5 said:

What a shame...bergamot would be a great addition with all the sickness!

There is absolutely no proven medicinal value associated with bergamot, which essentially is used as a fragrance or a flavor additive.  (I realize it may be used in aromatherapy, but as a pseudoscience, that falls under "no proven medicinal value" IMO). How would this have any verifiable positive benefit with any sickness as you refer? 

There is in fact the potential for it causing skin irritation with some people, which could make it potentially harmful to others later using that stateroom that may come in contact with any residual oil that may be on different surfaces in the stateroom from your use.  I would think this is why it may be considered a prohibited item as a suggested by Shmoo here suggests.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, mommy5 said:

No need to freak out. Just asking a question....I have no plans to bring a diffuser...

Not freaking out - sorry if it you took it that way.  In my post, I was just stating the facts in response to your comment regarding it being being a "great addition with all the sickness".

And why would you ask the question about bringing a diffuser if you weren't perhaps considering bringing one - especially with your response of it being a shame that it might be prohibited? I'm not being critical - genuinely just curious....

• Like 4

I'd be more worried about spilling even a little of that oil on a cabin surface.  I'm very allergic to some of those oils, including lavender, so any residual of that that couldn't be steamed cleaned out of the cabin surfaces and air would send me into burning cheeks and bumps...   

Instead of an oil, try a balm.  You can put some on your temples...  Badger Balm has one with bergamot and lavender in it.

• Like 4

the last thing I want to do is bring yet another thing that needs plugging in or takes up valuable luggage weight

aside from the fact that aromatherapy is a load of bunk with exactly zero credible research behind it,  if you want smell pretties to offset the cabin odor or the dead fish/seaweed smell in port, bring solid air fresheners or potpourri. 

• Like 5

You could always bring some cotton balls and add a few drops to one or two and place them on either side of the bed (in a dish or on plastic so the oils don't come into contact with the top of the nightstands).

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

18 hours ago, mommy5 said:

What a shame...bergamot would be a great addition with all the sickness!

They are great to bring along because they humidify the cabin counteracting the air-conditioner. There are plenty to choose from online.

Edited by andlep

2 hours ago, andlep said:

They are great to bring along because they humidify the cabin counteracting the air-conditioner. There are plenty to choose from online.

I guess you haven't read all the posts indicating why it would probably not be a good idea to bring on board - including the possibility that they may be a prohibited item.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I guess you haven't read all the posts indicating why it would probably not be a good idea to bring on board - including the possibility that they may be a prohibited item.

I answered the op's original question :

21 hours ago, mommy5 said:

Does anyone take a diffuser on board and do an essential oil in their cabin?

I have taken a humidifier on all my cruises no problems. They are a good idea especially for interior cabins. As far as aromatic oils are concerned, I have no experience and are no concern of mine. 

Edited by andlep

44 minutes ago, andlep said:

I answered the op's original question :

I have taken a humidifier on all my cruises no problems. They are a good idea especially for interior cabins. As far as aromatic oils are concerned, I have no experience and are no concern of mine. 

Sorry - I guess I'm confused by your answer as the OP's question was regarding a diffuser for use with essential oils - specifically  bergamot.  Your response was with regards to humidifiers - which are two different things, or at least two different uses.  You also say humidifiers can be used with essential oils - but then say you have no experience with oils.  

To be clear a humidifier that generates only water vapor moisture into the air probably (based on your experience) is OK to bring.  A diffuser - and in particular specific to use with bergamont - would not be for all the reasons mentioned.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Sorry - I guess I'm confused by your answer as the OP's question was regarding a diffuser for use with essential oils - specifically  bergamot.  Your response was with regards to humidifiers - which are two different things, or at least two different uses.  You also say humidifiers can be used with essential oils - but then say you have no experience with oils.  

To be clear a humidifier that generates only water vapor moisture into the air probably (based on your experience) is OK to bring.  A diffuser - and in particular specific to use with bergamont - would not be for all the reasons mentioned.

Ok I understand the confusion. What I use is a cold mist ultrasonic  humidifier that certain models can also be used as an essential oil diffuser. I don't use it for oils, just for the humidifying function, hence my comment. Sorry about the confusion, here is a site that explains it better 😊

Edited by andlep

It seems as though many people don't understand what a diffuser does, and that it is not the same as a humidifier.

I think the OP only wondered hether one would be allowed on board. Those that operate with a heating element would fall in the banned category. The ultrasonic ones theoretically would be allowed since there is nothing that generates heat.. 

As for the arguments that essential oils leave residues that could damage the cabin fittings or could cause irritation or allergic reactions to subsequent occupants- essential oils are volatile, not lipid based. So they evaporate in the air- they shouldn't last long enough to actually fall onto the furniture or soft furnishings; and if they did, they should evaporate quickly.

As for the pros and cons of essential oils- feel free to debate their usefulness. I really have no opinion one way or the other. I don't see how their scent could be any worse than the air fresheners that so many people seem to favor.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, andlep said:

Ok I understand the confusion. What I use is a cold mist ultrasonic  humidifier that certain models can also be used as an essential oil diffuser. I don't use it for oils, just for the humidifying function, hence my comment. Sorry about the confusion, here is a site that explains it better 😊

Got it!  Thanks for clarifying.  Wasn't trying to be critical but wasn't sure I understood the message.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

It seems as though many people don't understand what a diffuser does, and that it is not the same as a humidifier.

I think the OP only wondered hether one would be allowed on board. Those that operate with a heating element would fall in the banned category. The ultrasonic ones theoretically would be allowed since there is nothing that generates heat.. 

As for the arguments that essential oils leave residues that could damage the cabin fittings or could cause irritation or allergic reactions to subsequent occupants- essential oils are volatile, not lipid based. So they evaporate in the air- they shouldn't last long enough to actually fall onto the furniture or soft furnishings; and if they did, they should evaporate quickly.

As for the pros and cons of essential oils- feel free to debate their usefulness. I really have no opinion one way or the other. I don't see how their scent could be any worse than the air fresheners that so many people seem to favor.

I know my allergists ask no one wear any essential oils or perfumes into their offices

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I know my allergists ask no one wear any essential oils or perfumes into their offices

I can't remember the last time I saw a medical facility that didn't ask patients and visitors to refrain from the use of scented products. How are you going to enforce a scent free environment though; especially on a ship.

I get it - I'm asthmatic, and have had to change seats in the theatre or restaurant on more than one occasion because someone in close proximity had doused themselves with perfume or after shave. But I would have been fine if I had sat down in that same seat 10 minutes after the stinky ones had left.

Edited by mom says

On 2/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, mom says said:

Have you ever accidentally spilled some of that oil?  I doesn't evaporate all that fast.    I wouldn't trust anyone to not spill.  And I HATE those air fresheners!!!  I get a headache every time I'm in a room that uses one.  I have one owner who uses them - it's the condo that I will not go to, so I have to get someone else to go there.  I also had a guest (an A-list celebrity) burn sage in every room of the condo when she got there - I couldn't go in there, either, for several days.   

If someone MUST take oils, try finding little wool balls - probably sold around the same places that sell the oils.  Keeps the scent in a close level, not smelling up the entire room.