Pre Paid Gratuities

Kittygal23

I have prepaid gratuities when the exchange rate is favourable.  Last year, 

i saved nearly $30 by paying the gratuities for my Baltic cruise in AU before the cruise, rather than leaving it and having the USD converted at then-current exchange rates.  But for my April cruise, the prepay rate is pretty close to current rates, so I am leaving it til onboard.  

We have always paid our gratuities at the end of the cruise in cash but this cruise is different.  Prepaid gratuities was one of our perks.  So, I just don’t hand them a tip envelope at the end of the cruise???  Unless we want to give extra?

15 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

We have always paid our gratuities at the end of the cruise in cash but this cruise is different.  Prepaid gratuities was one of our perks.  So, I just don’t hand them a tip envelope at the end of the cruise???  Unless we want to give extra?

Up to you if you want to tip extra or not.

There is no rule about that, Since you have free grats that means the tips are included for you and you can decide whether or not to tip extra.

We rarely wait until the last day to give an extra tip.

We like to show our appreciation earlier in the cruise.

Edited by riffatsea

It was announced that the price was going up. I prepaid at the lower price and it was easier to keep track of my account balance without planning for each day's tips. Since there were no tips I had a higher balance at the end and got it all back in about 3 weeks.

17 hours ago, Kittygal23 said:

Hi! Question for you all...

I am not sure if I am missing something, but what is the benefit(s) to paying the gratuities before the cruise?

NEVER PRE PAY THEM. You no longer have the opportunity of changing it. Jut let it go on your room charge and they if you want you can always change it to suit your cruise experience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Always prepay if not included as a perk or your have no OBC - - budgeting

time value of money for that amount - penny candy, maybe

Why? Once you do, your are no longer allowed to change it. No perks for doing so either. I want control of my gratuities that I give.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, twodaywonder said:

NEVER PRE PAY THEM. You no longer have the opportunity of changing it. Jut let it go on your room charge and they if you want you can always change it to suit your cruise experience.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Why? Once you do, your are no longer allowed to change it. No perks for doing so either. I want control of my gratuities that I give.

Based on the cruise experience?

So you are saying adjust or remove the tips and punish all the crew?

🙁🙁🙁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Based on the cruise experience?

So you are saying adjust or remove the tips and punish all the crew?

🙁🙁🙁

I am not going to get into a problem with you. You do what you want and I will do what I want. I am not on here to yell at you (Large print) and get into any argument. You have no right whatsoever to tell me I am punishing anyone. Who are you????? Based on the service. Not experience. A simple question was asked and you are turning it into a major problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I always leave gratuities in place. If I have a problem with someone, I address that problem on the ship. If I have spectacular service, I go out of my way to fill out the form on board and to commend the service on the post cruise survey, and provide an extra tip if warranted. If service is mediocre, I leave it alone. 

We prepay for budgeting purposes. There have been cruises where we had so much OBC that we didn't prepay, but that is not always the case.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

It’s your preference. Other people have their preference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Really. Just a fact. Sorry to upset you so very much! 

FACT - link ?

what EXACTLY are you trying to say ?

1) if I prepay thru the cruise website, then change my mind, I can't go back into the website and cancel and get a refund to my form of payment ?

or 

2) if I  prepay , then decide to reduce or cancel, that the amount wouldn't be credited back to my account ?

Edited by voljeep