Diamond Princess - how long until you would sail?

az_tchr

How long until you would cruise on her? I know after a significant Boro outbreak that bookings fall for a few weeks, but this has been portrayed as much worse. Multiple cruises cancelled and ports closed. We are in New territory. Cannot recall anything similar.

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

How long until you would cruise on her? I know after a significant Boro outbreak that bookings fall for a few weeks, but this has been portrayed as much worse. Multiple cruises cancelled and ports closed. We are in New territory. Cannot recall anything similar.

2 months

would depend on if they gutted the ship , and replaced all bedding, soft goods, carpets, or just 'cleaned' them, even to hospital operating room standards as has been mentioned

and the itinerary, of course - wouldn't go to Asia on ANY ship now or in the future , sorry

but then again, we had no desire to go there before this

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I don't think anyone knows. I would be curious how the Tokyo Olympics work out this summer. I wouldn't plan on an Asian vacation before then.

I too am very curious as to how this will affect the Olympics, for both athletes and spectators. 

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Same for us.  Before this outbreak, I had no idea how many people cruise in this part of the world.  Americans, that is.  Though I'm sure there's lots of great things to see and visit, it's not a region we've ever considered.  Flight are too long and just too far from home.  Having said all that, I do hope things bounce back. 

From the info. coming out of news sources regarding the longevity of the virus without a animal host, it is not likely to live long on/in nonliving objects...ie. bed linens, carpeting, etc.  So gutting the ship isn't really necessary.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

would depend on if they gutted the ship , and replaced all bedding, soft goods, carpets, or just 'cleaned' them, even to hospital operating room standards as has been mentioned

and the itinerary, of course - wouldn't go to Asia on ANY ship now or in the future , sorry

Soft furnishings should be fine. Viruses do not last too long on them. I would say that I would go immediately after a good cleaning, but not to Asia until this passes.

I am young and healthy, and as a result this virus does not worry me very much. I am not sure I would be quite so blasé if my parents or grandparents were considering a trip on this ship. 

The ship after cleaning would probably be safer from disease than any of the other ships that had been in continual use.

Edited by RMMariner
add
  • Like 3

DW and I have a trip planned next year.  Cruise to Asia from Vancouver. Then 4 weeks touring - Honk Kong, Beijing with the usual stops followed by the train to Tibet. Home via Nepal and China. Tour operator reduced price by over half, but as of this week is not accepting firm bookings. Only inquiries.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Diamond may be out of commission for a while, but should be sailing again soon.  I'm guessing they will reposition the ships in Asia, but I have no idea where.   My sister in law actually had booked her in June for a Japan cruise two weeks before the Olympics, but has now cancelled.  

I wouldn't plan on traveling to Asia on any ship or flight and I wouldn't plan on traveling on the Diamond Princess this entire year. In today's NYTIMES they are reporting that they would not expect this coronavirus issue to be resolved anytime soon as it is actually just getting started.

So far everything I have read is that the summer Olympics will go forward as planned but stay tuned for further news.

We are booked to do the Kyushu and Grand Asia Collection starting on Dec 7th on the Diamond and are looking forward to it.   Positive thinking!!   If they cancel they cancel so not making any arrangements for flights or hotels nor booking shorex till very close to final payment time.

It's been reported that ultraviolet lights (industrial size) may be used between flights on airlines ... it would be a great idea and still in its infancy and then there are those nooks and crannies on seating and overhead bins that would still need to be addressed.  Maybe it could be done .... ????  

"Boeing has designed a self-cleaning bathroom that does precisely that in between uses. The airplane manufacturer claims that the UV lamps kill 99.99% of microbes within three seconds."

It's promising ... ???  

Our Sapphire Princess cruise due to depart Singapore 16 April was cancelled yesterday, however in the list of fleet cancellations Princess advised that they were hoping to have Diamond Princess ready to recommence cruising at the start of the Japan Golden Week celebrations from 29 April.

@leck57

Princess advised that they were hoping to have Diamond Princess ready to recommence cruising at the start of the Japan Golden Week celebrations from 29 April.

That sounds quite feasible especially if most passengers are either in hospital in Tokyo or being repatriated by their own country.  Princess should then have 2 months to see that the Diamond is 100% healthy.

I wouldn't have any issue with the ship cruising on the first scheduled cruise. I'm willing to bet that ship will be squeaky clean that one could eat off the floor. 

Now, that is just the ship. Not going to take into account what fellow cruisers come on board with....

• Like 5

@1025cruise

Now, that is just the ship. Not going to take into account what fellow cruisers come on board with....

Is that not the case every time you get in a car, on a bus, in a plane or on a ship?   We were caught in a Noro event late last year.  The timing told everyone that it had been taken on by a passenger who embarked in Barcelona.

5 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@1025cruise

Is that not the case every time you get in a car, on a bus, in a plane or on a ship?  

100%!!!  You are counting on others being honest about their health status when they board ... not to mention all those that aren't exhibiting symptoms but are infected or colonized with a virus or bacteria.  

We were right next door to this couple on a cruise once and we saw them around day 3 ... we asked if they'd just been moved to that room because that was the very first moment we even knew someone was next door to us.  They  said, no, they were both diagnosed with pneumonia but didn't want to miss their  trip.  Well, we share a room steward that touches all their stuff and then touches all our stuff, including our pillow cases where our face sits upon every night.  It's just enough to  make one want to scream!!  I tell you ... if you are sick ... STAY HOME!!!  

If I am seated next to someone at dinner that is coughing and sneezing, I just get up and asked to be re-seated at another table....preferably, one for two.  I seriously question if cruiselines will now change their practice of always pushing people to share a table with others in the MDR.    

I'm booked on the Diamond for a cruisetour July 5-19 just before the Olympics. I won't cancel unless things haven't improved by then. That will be after final payment so I need to do some reassessment then. I self insure so I would stand to loose a very large amount of money. I hope Princess blinks first if things are still as ominous as they are today.

Edited by cruzsnooze

35 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm booked on the Diamond for a cruisetour July 5-19 just before the Olympics. I won't cancel unless things haven't improved by then. That will be after final payment so I need to do some reassessment then. I self insure so I would stand to loose a very large amount of money. I hope Princess blinks first if things are still as ominous as they are today.

Is self insuring code for not buying insurance? We don't usually buy insurance but I may add it for our Japan trip next year once we are positive we are going.

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

Carnival will do a refurb and give her a new name.  (Triumph/Sunrise)

Are you saying that was suggested on Sunrise?  

I think Asians may not want to go on her again as they are very superstitious but love a bargain, westerners would just love a bargain cruise.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rassa said:

Are you saying that was suggested on Sunrise?  

I think Asians may not want to go on her again as they are very superstitious but love a bargain, westerners would just love a bargain cruise.

Is there any nationality that doesn't love a bargain?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1