Dumbest luggage question ever

Kclovesken

You can take a crate if you wish (within its handling weight limit).

In fact, some people take advantage of cruises because of the liberal baggage rules.
Example: Europeans who have been wintering in the southern USA head home on Springtime transatlantic repositioning cruises, back to Europe. Why? Well, apart from being a lot nicer than a flight, they can take as much baggage with them as they can reasonably fit in their cabin. And at an extra baggage fee of zero.
Nice work if you can get it.
Rolling duffel? Take as many as you like on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took a NON-rolling duffel on my second cruise -- cuz I thought it would fit under the bed better. Well, it did fit fine. (We weren't flying to the port.)

ETA: no question is 'dumb'! if you want to know the answer, you have to ask!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not that dumb question as you think. I always nervous if my luggage is okay. But yes, you may take a rolling duffel instead of a suitcase with you. Also, usually cruise companies have special info about luggage on their site

Edited by sara08
Adding more info
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing observing what luggage some passengers use - including old school hard-sided suitcases with just the one handle (the kind of suitcase you would get for a graduation gift in the 1970's).  Once I saw an old steamer trunk being used.  One little kid (part of an Asian tour group) had a completely clear carry-on sized suitcase.  Folks use all kinds of luggage!

• Like 1

A friend moved to Italy from Florida. He and his wife had some 50 boxes and suitcases. They piled them up by the bulkhead. Except for a 50lb limit per box and a good tip or two there is no limit except your ability to get it in your cabin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If driving to the port.... you can take all things which make you comfortable plus clothes for every occasion....

Particularly on a longer cruises.... short cruises take less... as not worth all the unpacking and re packing...

Also just do not take more than the capacity of the wardrobe and draws...

Cheers DOn  

That is the only luggage I have. I bought several of them over several years as disposable luggage. At $10 each, I don't care when the gorillas man handle them for travel. It will fit our fins and masks easier for snorkeling. I have a separate garment bag to take our formal night clothes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a rolling duffel that is a little longer than most.  Too long to carry on a airplane but it will fit thru the port x-ray due to its small HxD so I can carry it on.  They might have to x-ray it in two parts but that is ok.  I can pack the same amount in it as a 24" spinner which has to be checked at most ports.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was originally going to use a rolling duffle when we were driving. Now that we will be flying, our cheap duffles would not survive the manhandling at airport. They are excellent for me tossing in the back of my truck. We purchased hard sided swivel rolling suitcases. They were super cheap with the Black Friday and Amazon deals. I got 3 sets for under $200.

My issue is weight becomes an issue and airline baggage fees if we don't use Southwest. Because we plan on snorkeling while cruising, we will take our own fins and masks to use. It took a long while to find fins and mask that work properly for each of us. It adds weight to the bags. I weighed my suitcase out to be ~12lbs. With the fins and mask, it is just under 20Lbs. That leave ~25Lbs for everything else. Worse case scenario is we do take a rolling duffle. That bag would just have 3 sets of fins, masks, and snorkels in it along with shoes.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:34 AM, bigrednole said:

My issue is weight becomes an issue and airline baggage fees if we don't use Southwest. Because we plan on snorkeling while cruising, we will take our own fins and masks to use. It took a long while to find fins and mask that work properly for each of us. It adds weight to the bags. I weighed my suitcase out to be ~12lbs. With the fins and mask, it is just under 20Lbs. That leave ~25Lbs for everything else. Worse case scenario is we do take a rolling duffle. That bag would just have 3 sets of fins, masks, and snorkels in it along with shoes.

Check out the backpacks designed for swimmers.  We always take our own snorkel, fins, and mask when we bareboat in the Caribbean.  We each carry a TYR 45L Alliance backpack as our carry on.  It holds our snorkel gear and necessities for an overnight stop very easily and freed up a lot of space and weight in our (paid) checked luggage.