When is it safe to fly in the day of the cruise?

Missus_Aitch

I know the general sentiment about flying is that it's safer to arrive the day before the cruise in case of mishap, but if the cruise departs at 7:00 pm (onboard time limit of 5:00 pm) would you consider it safe to fly in that day?  The flight would be NYC-Miami, so many options if the first plane in the morning gets a flat tire.  What does Cruise Critic think?  It would help with this particular trip to minimize costs with hotel and an extra day of pet sitting.

• Haha 1

As you have read, I presume, each of us have our specific 'will not do's' when it comes to this topic.

It sounds like same day arrival might be good in your case...

If you believe it is safe, go for it and please read your travel insurance policy for any potential issues which may cause you to miss the boat...

Again, it sounds like you have a case for leaving day of... do not be swayed from your beliefs...

bon voyage

57 minutes ago, Missus_Aitch said:

I know the general sentiment about flying is that it's safer to arrive the day before the cruise in case of mishap, but if the cruise departs at 7:00 pm (onboard time limit of 5:00 pm) would you consider it safe to fly in that day?  The flight would be NYC-Miami, so many options if the first plane in the morning gets a flat tire.  What does Cruise Critic think?  It would help with this particular trip to minimize costs with hotel and an extra day of pet sitting.

Unless it's during the winter it sounds okay to fly NYC-Miami early the day of embarkation if you are prepared to pay for expensive planetickets if your plane can't leave.

There are not many times when its "ok" and personally I would still never do it. But if there was one situation that it was ok, this would be it. I would still never do it, but you are right that the options to get on another plane from New York to Miami is endless. Endless as in you are ready to buy another last minute ticket or you are flying on an airline that has a lot of its own flights (Delta, JetBlue, American) or will put you on another airline to get you there (not Spirit or Frontier). 

If it is winter I would be much more hesitant though. And if its summer you want to make sure your flight is scheduled to arrive in Miami before 12:00 p.m. 

We are the people that always fly in day-of for domestic cruises.  Yes, I know we've been lucky.  Anyway, as long as you've checked out other flight options in case your original flight is cancelled/delayed, I (obviously) think you'd be fine.

• Like 1

You are assuming that weather will never be a factor.  We cruised with folks from Toronto who always flew in day of.  Then there was the Xmas Eve when a major snow storm blew through......  I have also been stuck in Chicago in summer (not heading for a cruise) when wave after wave of thunderstorms swept through the airport.  American and United each cancelled 500 flights.  So it's like gambling.  Nine times out of ten you will make it.  And on the tenth what will you be thinking?

5 hours ago, Missus_Aitch said:

Depends on time of year. As we all know, summer flights will get cancelled all up and down the eastern seaboard if there's thunderstorms ANYWHERE it seems.

And, have seen the "stragglers" who might have flown in same day as departure at last minute crying on the pier just as the ship departs. It's heartbreaking to see that.

Us? We would never fly on same day as departure, but again, we all have differing opinions on this. I hope your trip is amazing and wish you all the best!

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1

The other thing to keep in mind is even though there may be a lot of flights from NYC (1 airport) how many of those flights will have available seats in them? A lot of flights also means it is a popular location which mean a lot of people going there. Also if your flight get canceled it isn't only you looking for those few seats it is over 200 people trying to get them as well. So unless you have status with the airline you are in the same boat(excuse the pun) as the rest.

What's your personal definition of 'safe' OP?

Flying day before and getting a hotel near the port can be thought of as insurance. So can having available funds or credit card balance to buy a walk-up fare at probably very inflated prices if your 'same day' flight does have a flat tire or other 'just that plane' issue. Even an airline with many flights going where you want may not have enough seats on others if a flight is cancelled, or delayed long enough you'd miss your cruise - unless you are among the highest-status folks getting a seat becomes a crapshoot so that's where you'd have to go and pay up-front for another flight then look to claim back expenses from insurance, or self-insure and eat the cost (we have excellent medical, but have chosen to self-insure on the delayed-travel side of things for years now, but we always pad schedules to minimise risk).

FWIW, if your flight is early in the morning and has a high on-time % at the time of year you're flying, it's a low risk - but you should be prepared with sensible and easy-to-do prep for things that could go wrong by checking other flights that will get you there on-time and plugging the contact number for your airline into your cellphone. This last step is really useful when traveling - any delays/cancellations can mean a planeload of folk all run for the airline desk to try and sort something out, and while you might get to the front of the queue quicker than you get through to someone who can help on the phone, being on your phone will heading toward that desk doubles-down on methods for you being among the early-enough-requesters-to-actually-get-a-seat!

• Like 1

The other issue about buying another ticket, which I assume would mean on another airline would mean getting your luggage off one carrier and rechecking it with another carrier. That could take hours because their first priority I would think is getting the luggage moved to other flights within the same airline.

Remember you  probably won't be the only people trying to get to a cruise so they will be trying as hard as you are. 

If you plan to take the first flight out you would improve your chances if the plane sat there over night because you don't have to worry about it being late or canceled because of weather elsewhere. Of course I have had flight canceled for mechanical issues even when the plane sat there overnight.

As a former airline employee, I would say if the ship is sailing out late (example some San Juan cruises and Bridgetown that have late sailings) or an redeye who come in early like between 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. which leaves some room for a slight delay, I can't stress enough the horrid stories and seeing people crying and upset on flying the cruising day.

I would come in advance. Its a vacation for god's sake. Why would you be in a hurry? Just come a day or two earlier. Get into some nice hotel, spend some time sightseeing. Maybe get drunk or smth. Then wake up the next morning and go for your cruise. Trust me you will enjoy it much better this way. Dont concentrate only on the cruise, make the journey memorable in betweens

Edited by Roger88

"When is it safe to fly in the day of the cruise?"  When you can easily catch-up to your ship the following day :).  And I am serious with this answer.  In fact, we have done just that on a couple of cruises.  Another issue with same day flights is that you may well make your cruise but your checked luggage may not!  Having an extra day, or more, will improve your odds of having mis routed luggage catch up prior to embarkation.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

"When is it safe to fly in the day of the cruise?"  When you can easily catch-up to your ship the following day :). 

And when it is legal for you to do so.  Many itineraries run afoul of PVSA if you aren't onboard for all days.

16 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And when it is legal for you to do so.  Many itineraries run afoul of PVSA if you aren't onboard for all days.

and/or some itineraries are such that you would need a passport to fly to the first port of call if you miss embarkation.  You might not need one for the cruise if you sail the whole thing, but might need one to catch up to the ship later.

As an airline employee who has seen passengers miss their cruise I would advise against it.  NYC is known for air traffic delays/weather cancellations.  You may think you have a lot of options for air travel however, those that are cancelled/delayed are also rebooking on later flights.  Go the morning before your cruise to give yourself extra options. 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:17 AM, Missus_Aitch said:

In this case, never.

The only time I'd consider it would be if I were taking a flight from Orlando that left by 8:00 am so that if by 10:00 am I still wasn't on a flight I could get in the car and drive and be there before "All Aboard" with a generous cushion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean you would fly into Miami, pick up your luggage, get a taxi (not always a sure thing) and go to the port? I also assume that you are seated near the front of the plane for a quick exit and the plane does not arrive at a far gate. .It also assumes you don't drop an anything you are carrying, trip over the unexpected construction etc. Yes. it's possible but there is too much on the line to expect everything to go right.

You have to weigh the risks of losing a little money from staying in a hotel one night and one day of dog sitting compared to loosing a lot of money missing your cruise. The answer from  all of the responding  posters  appears obvious.