Butler a no show in Haven

vent1020

The first two times we had butler service was on a Celebrity ship and then an NCL ship. Looking back

they were pretty terrible. Not bringing the daily snacks and basically not around at all.

Plus if we tried to contact them they were unresponsive. We didn't know

any better so my husband really resisted the next time we had a cabin with a butler. Well from then on

our butlers have been great and only looking back we saw what could have been.

That's OK I am not going to stew about it. But if it happens again I will call the concierge.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:22 PM, BirdTravels said:

So,,, this is an issue to address with the Concierge on Day 2 of the cruise. All of the Butlers work for the Concierge. After the cruise, folks on cruise critic can’t help you. 

i don't think the OP is asking for folks on cruise critic to help them they are just stating their experience and asking if others have gone through that. 🙄

• Like 2

I've stayed in the Haven a couple times with my X on the Breakaway and Escape. The butler service was always great. They both went out of there way to meet us on the 1st day. I gave them a list of the snacks to bring to the room. Every afternoon we had so many snacks no way we could eat them all. I would have said something on the 2nd day. 

11 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

i don't think the OP is asking for folks on cruise critic to help them they are just stating their experience and asking if others have gone through that. 🙄

But I think the first two sentences of Bird Travel's feedback is valid and helpful...if future cruisers want advice on how to handle the situation.  

On 2/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, vent1020 said:

This post is probably long over due since it was last year this happened, but still kind of mad about it.

We stayed in the Haven for the first time.  We've stayed in suites before, but first time in the Haven, on the Breakaway.  7 day cruise in the Caribbean and never saw our butler.  We've always met our butler the first day and then see them regularly during the cruise.  Seriously I don't even know what our butler looked like.  The concierge was GREAT.  The bartenders in the Haven, GREAT.  The staff at the restaurant, GREAT.   Butler a total NO SHOW.   Anyone else ever experience anything like this?  For the amount of money we paid for the Haven, you would think the butler service would be better than a suite.  Nope not for us.  We did always get afternoon treats, so I know he or she was showing up but still.

Sounds like the butler wasn’t a no-show, you just never actually saw them. This can happen, but is rare. They usually go way out of their way to find you. But I’ve gone 2 or 3 days before seeing mine because I’m rarely in the room. I don’t ask for much, if anything, so it’s not a big deal to me.  Next time, if you want to see your butler, their card is in your room by the phone. Call them and ask them to come to the room for introductions.

We just got off the Epic on Sunday March 8, 2020. Did not meet our butler until I called for an afternoon room service order on day 4. And one other day we had breakfast delivered. We were in a Haven Aft cabin, so this maybe was the case. He delivered random snacks only a couple of times. Our room steward was good, so we were not unhappy!

We saw our butler several times each day on our recent Bliss cruise. He was in the halls doing his butler thing and always happy to see us. Sometimes I left a post-it on the door requesting something if i didn't see him then off we would go somewhere. Every time we go back, 30 minutes or hours later it had been done. So he was around, clearly. But yes, I agree--Day 2 you should ask the Concierge for sure if you have not met him or her.

1 hour ago, Askmelanie said:

We just got off the Epic on Sunday March 8, 2020. Did not meet our butler until I called for an afternoon room service order on day 4. And one other day we had breakfast delivered. We were in a Haven Aft cabin, so this maybe was the case. He delivered random snacks only a couple of times. Our room steward was good, so we were not unhappy!

We were on the same cruise in a Haven Aft Suite. We met our Butler Richard on day 2 and told him our snack preferences which he totally ignored. We did get a snack every day but left 99% of it because it was things we didn’t like. I asked him for mixed nuts and he left something similar to the mix available at bars throughout the ship. I picked through the mix for the nuts and left the rest. The half empty bowl sat there for the entire week and was not replenished. We also reported to him that we didn’t think our air conditioner was working properly. Don’t know if it was looked at or not but it wasn’t very cool in our room all week. This was our fifth Haven experience and frankly none of our butlers have been very good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

We were on the same cruise in a Haven Aft Suite. We met our Butler Richard on day 2 and told him our snack preferences which he totally ignored. We did get a snack every day but left 99% of it because it was things we didn’t like. I asked him for mixed nuts and he left something similar to the mix available at bars throughout the ship. I picked through the mix for the nuts and left the rest. The half empty bowl sat there for the entire week and was not replenished. We also reported to him that we didn’t think our air conditioner was working properly. Don’t know if it was looked at or not but it wasn’t very cool in our room all week. This was our fifth Haven experience and frankly none of our butlers have been very good.

Too late now but a chat with the Concierge may have remedied the situation - that failing contact the Hotel Manager

about both being deficient in handling requests/complaints !

Reporting this to Customer Relations in Miami maybe be overlooked with all this virus stuff going on but you took the

time to post here at CC perhaps writing a short note to NCL that the service was not up to snuff as expected !

If sincere attention is paid - your Latitudes account maybe flagged VIP for your next cruise or a token OBC applied.

Imo, too few butlers and has only gotten worse.

We too have had requests ignored, steward do most of butler job.  

No one should have to do performance reviews if advertised product not delivered.

One's experience can also vary on same trip or different trip with same butlers and concierges.  Our last trip butler was ok but weeks later someone on same ship had same butler.  At the disembark talk he asked them why they were there and they said because you are our butler, he said no, they said yes, he checked list with room number, oops.

This is an interesting thread.  Maybe there is a logical explanation.  First I've had some experiences of not meeting the butler by the 3rd day.  But remember, you can be out and about when they may come and try to visit you. They are not just assigned to your suite.  So its fairly common to miss your butler the first day or so unless you hang around the cabin all day and night.

The butler makes money by tips.  It is not logical to work your butt off on a cruise ship yet not want to get paid.

The OP states treat were left EVERY DAY.  Well that shows the butler came to your suite EVERY DAY without you asking for a thing.  Was it his/her fault you were out enjoying the ship?

Some people do not like to be bothered unless asking for service.  Butlers must read each customer different.

I just got off the Encore and had a great butler.  One evening I saw our butler in the hall and he literally almost came running after me.  He told me that he had been trying to deliver treats to the room all day but the "Do not disturb" sign was on.  We must have turned it on accidently or maybe turned it on for a few hours nap. But we forgot it was on and the butler honored that sign.  We never noticed or cared that treats were missing.  But when he saw us in the hall he wanted to know if we did not want to be disturbed.

What is odd is if you never requested anything from the butler or missed out on anything, why would you be upset.  Clearly you could have told the concierge please have the butler stop by and say hello or something.  I actually did that once on Epic where after day 2 I had not seen them.  Sure enough he did stop to say hello.

Edited by david_sobe

9 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Richard was ours as well!! I guess he wasn't busy working on others! One day he brought a cheese plate that looked like it came from someone else's room with pieces eaten!

On 2/29/2020 at 3:08 AM, sverigecruiser said:

A good butler is invisible  until you need him/her.

I agree that the butler should have talked to you the first day but except for that if you don't ask for anything there is no reason to see your butler, I think.

Good point!  I know I don’t use my Butler all that much.  If I order room service, I see him.  If I order a dinner to be served in my cabin, I obviously see him.  Every once in a while, if I stop by my cabin during the day, I see him delivering snacks.

Aside from that, I don’t request much, or expect that much from him.  He’s always been there when I’ve needed him, though.

If you didn’t ask much from him, you probably won’t see him much.

As others mentioned, if you’re dissatisfied with him in any way, talk to the head concierge, as the Butler works for him/her.

Edited by graphicguy

• 2 months later...

Is there a procedure for asking for the daily snacks or treats?  Do you generally create a list while onboard?  Can you assign items prior to the trip?  Staying in the Haven Aft Facing with Master and Balcony.  First timer.  Any information is helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UDKO said:

Is there a procedure for asking for the daily snacks or treats?  Do you generally create a list while onboard?  Can you assign items prior to the trip?  Staying in the Haven Aft Facing with Master and Balcony.  First timer.  Any information is helpful.

There is a standard list that (usually) changes daily. If you want more or less of something or want something not on the list, let your butler know.

Generally speaking, if you request something within reason, the Butler will provide it as far as snacks are concerned.  We loved the little canapés, but really weren't fans of the chocolate covered strawberries (weird, I know).  Our Butler brought different canapés and petit fours every day.

Have stayed in Haven many times. Depending upon where your room is located, Butler service can be good or scarce. Courtyard butlers have many rooms to service and guess what - the Owners Suite rooms do get priority treatment and extra attention. Some butlers came regularly. On some ships they are over-worked and can't give every cabin the same attention.

43 minutes ago, UDKO said:

Thank you.  Slightly concerned about aft Haven but will make the best of it.

Butlers rotate their assigned area. You might get a great butler or a not so great butler.

Your aft-suite neighbors might be very needy or not very needy at all. It's impossible to know what your butler service will be like until you get there. If things aren't right, speak up at the time. Don't wait until the cruise is over and complain on CC.   

Thank you for the response.  I roll with things.  If I'm not happy I say something.  I'm not one to complain after the fact when I could have done something to remedy a wrong.  Looking forward to the AFT!

On 5/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, UDKO said:

Each day there is a "standard" treat delivered to all suite guests. To make it easy on the butler, you can order additional treats any day (i.e., rather than asking them to remember that if there is fresh fruit, you would prefer a cheese tray,,, just order a cheese tray). Just talk to your butler about what you want and when you want it. 

For us big kids we will sometimes order a PB&J sandwich with chips in addition to whatever the standard treat is. Canapes, shrimp, cheese, fresh fruit are other things. 

We always ask for bowls of peanut M&Ms, gummy bears, and bar mix along with pitchers of water and ice tea in our mini fridge. 

B2AFAF29-504C-4720-92FB-208D38A970EA.jpeg

83E12DB3-0502-4EAC-BEDF-CAA178451DC1.jpeg

CD248865-E0ED-4B2F-B4FF-78CF6C224D43.jpeg

D84B37A3-ADFA-442A-8B0A-66A7431A8C8A.jpeg

4A5BD336-9CD0-4BA3-B556-0500481A3E54.jpeg

8F032AD2-1524-46A8-B903-4BE7FD4F2CD2.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

On 5/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, UDKO said:

We have stayed in forward suites, aft suites, midship suites outside the Haven complex and have never had problems with butler service. 

Other Hints: There is a breakfast card in your room with check boxes. IGNORE THE CHECK BOXES and write whatever you want for breakfast on the card (preferably from the Suites restaurant). Order eggs over easy, omelets, egg white omelets, filet steak, bacon, ham, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage, pork sausage, fresh breads, fresh fruits, juices and a Diet Pepsi.

You specify the time you want it delivered. Give it to your butler or leave it out on the bed during evening turn down. 

Your butler will deliver it at the time specified and serve it on a white tablecloth. 

We typically do this for early port days. Have a nice served meal without the delays of going to the restaurant. 

55EC7F91-941C-477D-8F3C-EC1039B69581.jpeg

DC3568E5-2695-4B64-AD89-06EC217B2880.jpeg

F8129C76-3C3D-457C-8C50-5E84E275EE8D.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels