Cruising or Cancelling?

NMTraveller

Cruising, Cancelling, or Undecided  

365 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you that are heathy, are you cruising, cancelling, or undecided?

• Cruising
    • Cancelling
    • Undecided
    • Cruising some and cancelling some

9 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

We just received an email back from the TA that she cancelled cruise. No mention of what cost to us, or what credit or FCC we are getting. Their phone system has not worked for 2 days and they are swamped with emails. Most people want an explanation what cost is to them when they cancel so that they can make a decision what's best for them. Our next cruise we did not use a TA and will be interesting the difference. We used X for the booking. 

Princess cruise line just cancelled all cruises for the next 60 day.  Smart move

I think that was the right decision for Princess. 

If I was on the Board with RCCL it will be a tough decision but I would do for the next 8 weeks then see. It will a cash flow decision. If you do not do, this thing might linger on for many months and hurt bottom line worse. I believe most of the decisions made are to flatten the curve on the spreading of the virus. Good luck X with your decision. 

I just cancelled our b2b Italy sailings for June. My CVP was grateful that I had already cancelled the items I had purchased in the Cruise Planner, so the transactions for her will be simpler. She said that we would receive our FCC by email in 3-4 weeks. She was not sure about the FCC we had used for that trip, but she said it would likely be reissued.

Is it inevitable that our cruises would be canceled anyways? Probably. But at least I don’t have thousands more wrapped up in this booking had I made final payment.

Edited by CruiserMickey

When we cancelled, CO also grateful we cancelled all the extraneous charges before calling in.   Following the same procedure for next one we  will cancel..That's not near final payment so once we  get through, it should be OK,,,

Our credit card will have a huge credit applied from these cancellations,,,.thinking of buying some new furniture

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

we cancelled all the extraneous charges before calling in. 

How does one go about cancelling extra charges made in the cruise planner?  I upgraded the the Drinks and More package a while back but not sure how to cancel it should we decide to cancel altogether.  I was expecting X to cancel our 4/11 cruise and was holding out so I could get the refund instead of the FCC.  Not sure if that's how they are doing it these days.

We are leaving Sunday for 7 days Western Caribbean on the EDGE. We have until midnight tonight for the Cruise with Confidence FCC. I keep packing yet I am still "on-the-fence" UGH! I want to go, and I am not so much afraid of catching the virus as I am Trump and/or his administration getting more unhinged and not allowing back into the country. Well I have 12 hours, unless RCI/Celebrity decides for me.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserMickey said:

I just cancelled our b2b Italy sailings for June. My CVP was grateful that I had already cancelled the items I had purchased in the Cruise Planner, so the transactions for her will be simpler. She said that we would receive our FCC by email in 3-4 weeks. She was not sure about the FCC we had used for that trip, but she said it would likely be reissued.

Is it inevitable that our cruises would be canceled anyways? Probably. But at least I don’t have thousands more wrapped up in this booking had I made final payment.

Sorry you have cancelled but I understand your reasons, I’m still waiting and hoping to do our b2b but we really don’t know how this is gonna end. Will hopefully have to have our glass of fiz🥂together on another cruise! Dianne

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, di T said:

Sorry you have cancelled but I understand your reasons, I’m still waiting and hoping to do our b2b but we really don’t know how this is gonna end. Will hopefully have to have our glass of fiz🥂together on another cruise! Dianne

Dianne, I really do hope that we can meet one day to toast a wonderful cruise. We just couldn’t afford to take the risk of losing thousands of $ if Celebrity goes under. Believe me, more than a few tears were shed while struggling with this decision (first world problem, I know)!

If the cruise does go ahead, I will raise my glass and toast you from afar. To safe and healthy travels!

🥂 Michelle

1 hour ago, pauly said:

We are leaving Sunday for 7 days Western Caribbean on the EDGE. We have until midnight tonight for the Cruise with Confidence FCC. I keep packing yet I am still "on-the-fence" UGH! I want to go, and I am not so much afraid of catching the virus as I am Trump and/or his administration getting more unhinged and not allowing back into the country. Well I have 12 hours, unless RCI/Celebrity decides for me.

Paul

We are on the same cruise and struggling with the decision as well. I want to go, but now my gf wants to cancel. Most likely will cancel now, unfortunately.

Chris

21 minutes ago, Chris32174 said:

We are on the same cruise and struggling with the decision as well. I want to go, but now my gf wants to cancel. Most likely will cancel now, unfortunately.

Chris

Do you guys fit in one of those categories of people NOT advised to cruise? Or are you doing it out of precaution?

3 minutes ago, pauly said:

Do you guys fit in one of those categories of people NOT advised to cruise? Or are you doing it out of precaution?

No we don't fall in any of the categories. We are both mid 40's and healthy. My gf works as a teacher though and I think the other teachers talking to her about it plus the news media has caused her to want to cancel. I still want to go, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

Chris

1 hour ago, pauly said:

Paul

If you have no health issues- go and enjoy yourself!  I am so sad that we cancelled, and look how many thousands of passengers on multiple cruise ships and come and gone, with virtually no new cases.  I think the cruise lines are keeping the ships super clean- probably never been a safer time to cruise.  If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have cancelled.

• Like 2

Just now, JLBellaCC said:

If you have no health issues- go and enjoy yourself!  I am so sad that we cancelled, and look how many thousands of passengers on multiple cruise ships and come and gone, with virtually no new cases.  I think the cruise lines are keeping the ships super clean- probably never been a safer time to cruise.  If I knew then, what I know now, I would not have cancelled.

My wife and I are both teachers in our 30's and still planning on going this Saturday unless the cruise line cancels. 

4 minutes ago, Chris32174 said:

No we don't fall in any of the categories. We are both mid 40's and healthy. My gf works as a teacher though and I think the other teachers talking to her about it plus the news media has caused her to want to cancel. I still want to go, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

Chris

I still don't know what to do. I understand everything they have said about the virus, but I think we are bordering on media frenzy panic. UGH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

How does one go about cancelling extra charges made in the cruise planner?  I upgraded the the Drinks and More package a while back but not sure how to cancel it should we decide to cancel altogether.  I was expecting X to cancel our 4/11 cruise and was holding out so I could get the refund instead of the FCC.  Not sure if that's how they are doing it these days.

We cancelled our cruise through our TA without cancelling a shore excursion and a specialty dining. We received an email from Celebrity the next day informing us that upon cancellation, all extra charges such as these are automatically refunded, listed the refunded amount, and said it would go to our cc within two billing cycles.

• Thanks 1

We have an ABC Caribbean cruise scheduled for May. If our airline can get us to FLL and Equinox sails, we will go. I have had my moments of doubt and was relieved when Celebrity gave us the cancel up to 48 hours before sailing option.

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JLBellaCC said:

That is the truth. My main concern is letting us back in the US and disembarkation. 

Lol, Celebrity just accepted my move up bid $205 each to move up from inside to concierge class veranda, not surprised considering all the cancellations. At this point I have convinced my gf to go and unless Celebrity cancels we will be on board!

I told our TA to cancel our up coming cruise on Reflection May 18 out of Dublin and give us the FCC. I'm 61 and in good shape. My husband is 57 and has diabetes. My concerns are will we be able to get back into the US. I also take care of my parents both over 80. So a 3 week vacation, then 2 weeks of quarantine. We just cant do that. We still have our British Airways flights to deal with. Our flights are Seattle to London non stop great flight with flat bed sleepers. 

Edited by bigbenboys
added words

I know that everyone is on edge because of the virus going around.  I am on a Celebrity cruise on the 3rd April and still plan to attend.  My thought process is Celebrity is screening everyone that is going on the cruise.  If they have a temperature of 100.4 then they are taken to another area and check out again.  The ship is being sanitize from top to bottom.  I look at this as I will be on one of the cleanest ship I have ever been on.  The bottom line is don't panic make a decision that you fell comfortable with.  

18 minutes ago, William12 said:

I know that everyone is on edge because of the virus going around.  I am on a Celebrity cruise on the 3rd April and still plan to attend.  My thought process is Celebrity is screening everyone that is going on the cruise.  If they have a temperature of 100.4 then they are taken to another area and check out again.  The ship is being sanitize from top to bottom.  I look at this as I will be on one of the cleanest ship I have ever been on.  The bottom line is don't panic make a decision that you fell comfortable with.  

Just realize that the screening process is no guarantee that the virus won't be brought aboard. Someone might be asymptomatic at the time of embarkation but contagious within a short time thereafter.

2 hours ago, pauly said:

I still don't know what to do. I understand everything they have said about the virus, but I think we are bordering on media frenzy panic. UGH

Today the MBL suspended Spring Training, the NCAA canceled March Madness, the NFL and ATP suspended games and matches, and NASCAR announced no fans at this weekend’s events.  Facts not frenzy.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Today the MBL suspended Spring Training, the NCAA canceled March Madness, the NFL and ATP suspended games and matches, and NASCAR announced no fans at this weekend’s events.  Facts not frenzy.

And the NHL suspended the rest of the season. Those are facts, but the media, at least the local media in Florida, including the major networks,  rely on instilling panic to increase viewership. That does NOT help, and no fact can't justify that.

8 minutes ago, pauly said:

And the NHL suspended the rest of the season. Those are facts, but the media, at least the local media in Florida, including the major networks,  rely on instilling panic to increase viewership. That does NOT help, and no fact can't justify that.

Disneyland just announced its closing.  Personally I find the coverage (over-coverage) depressing and I’m probably not alone but I get your point.

Edited by Oville