Cruising or Cancelling?

NMTraveller

Cruising, Cancelling, or Undecided  

365 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you that are heathy, are you cruising, cancelling, or undecided?

• Cruising
    • Cancelling
    • Undecided
    • Cruising some and cancelling some

For those of you that are healthy are you cruising,  cancelling, or undecided?  I realize that there is an existing poll out there, but that was a week ago and a lot has changed...

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

For those of you that are healthy are you cruising,  cancelling, or undecided?  I realize that there is an existing poll out there, but that was a week ago and a lot has changed...

We booked on Equinox March 28, seven night cruise. We change our minds about sailing every new news item. The news reports are so conflicting. We really don't know who to believe. Right this minute I plan to cast my fate to the wind and go. Maybe by ten tonight I will change my mind again. We are in our mid seventies but neither of us has a major health condition. I want to go, but sometimes we feel scared and sometimes we feel brave enough to go.

• Like 2

As of today - still cruising (2-day cruise in about 2 weeks and a Caribbean cruise the end of April). I am under 40/healthy, I have ample PTO to cover any possible quarantines, nobody to worry about at home (fur baby is well taken care of), and my cruises were basically free. With that said I’m paying very close attention to everything and if the risks seem too high for my situation I’d be out $400 total. I cannot be in a better place at this point. 

• Like 3

Over 60 and we are supposed to cruising Honolulu to Vancouver in May. As Australians we are concerned about being hospitalised in the US and our travel insurance not covering us. Waiting for a definitive answer by next month.

I am going as part of the Millenium's Cruise for Hero's promotion.  I am not at all worried about getting sick etc.... been on 8 cruises so not worried at all.  HOWEVER, what does concern me, is that if just 1 person gets sick, they don't allow the ship to dock and we're stuck off the coast for a few days and then quarantine for 14 days etc, etc,....  So although the cruise for me and the wife are free (40 something's in perfect health), I would not be happy if we got stuck and not able to come back.....  Thats my only concern.

• Like 2

I’m a canceller but that’s because we are cruising out of Rome in Mid_April with lots of Italian ports of call and others that I believe (based on squat except common guesses - not common sense -there isn’t any on this subject!) may have an issue with a ship out of Rome.

But I think I’d stick with and enjoy a Caribbean or Alaskan, and especially a Panama Canal cruise (love it!). So it’s just not that simple. But we are all aware of that. 

Den 

We are mid 60’s with no health issues, but decided to cancel our March 23 cruise on Reflection. It seems like more and more ports are denying entry. Didn’t want to risk a possible quarantine. We have 3 more cruises booked on Celebrity in the fall and early next year. Hopefully, this gets under control by then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

We are undecided.  We are scheduled to cruise on the 5 April sailing of the Apex.  This is a Spring Break sailing for our kid's schools (family of six - adults are early 50s). The Cruise with Confidence has made us feel, we can better react to world/family changes.  Will likely wait until right before our departure.

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Wow... the percentages have changed substantially since I started the other poll last week.  We are a split household here.  still undecided. 

Haven't they!  I'm sure the comments from the US and Canadian Governments have made a difference.  At this point there will be no issue with social distancing on board!  We're booked out of Southampton (so no flights and limited risk of not being allowed to return for some reason) to the Baltic on 4th July.  We're still going at this point - but things move fast and we will have to see what happens once the european cruise season gets underway.  After that its October to the Canaries  and Christmas on the Danube - but this will have resolved itself one way or the other (I hope!!) long before then.

X's "cruise with confidence" - and the same from Viking for the Christmas cruise - makes all the difference. 

7 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

X's "cruise with confidence

This doesn’t cover us, as our cruise is scheduled for August 1st and the cancel for any reason finishes on July 31st. but as it visits 4 Italian ports, I’m hoping that Celebrity will re schedule. That’s if they even send the ships over to Europe, which I’m beginning to wonder about.

If the situation has not stablised the cruise with confidence will likely extend. With Italy shutting down today we should have a better view on whther or not that is effective in 3 or 4 weeks.    I know there was speculation about X not sending ships over but I doubt they have much choice now.  The announcements form the US and Canadian Governements will have upped the pressure considerably.  Far better to try for some semblance of normality in Europe that to sit idle  - or quarentined - in the US.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

This doesn’t cover us, as our cruise is scheduled for August 1st and the cancel for any reason finishes on July 31st. but as it visits 4 Italian ports, I’m hoping that Celebrity will re schedule. That’s if they even send the ships over to Europe, which I’m beginning to wonder about.

The end date will move. 100% guarantee that. Unless the virus goes away......

• Like 1

Both healthy 50 year olds who leave 3/29 on the Edge.  I am more worried about being exposed at work (I work in a high school) than on the ship.  If we get quarantined, my hubby telecommutes anyways, and I’ll use sick leave.  Watching our Italy cruise though which is scheduled for June.

So far as we know we're healthy, and ages 58 & 61....

Like others, my main concern is not being able to get off at the end of the cruise.......

We're waiting until the week before to decide.... or even two days before if world events change things....

(Booked on Apex, 5th April)

Well, for us the government has decided...

As of yesterday, mandatory 14 days quarantine for everyone returning to Israel.

If we're going ahead with our cruise April 1st, we'll have to "spend" the Passover in quarantine and not with the kids and grandkids...

Sad situation all around.

We're booked for a short 5-day cruise on Infinity in less than 2 weeks, ages 62 and 65. We're quite healthy so likely will go, especially since I have checked with our insurance company and we're covered. My 84-year-old father and his companion, however, are considering cancelling even though they are healthy and have no underlying conditions. 

As with several others, my main hesitation is the possibility of being quarantined. Is a 5-day cruise worth the possibility of a 14-day quarantine because someone else wasn't honest on the questionnaire?

We are going on Edge this Sunday. We are 69 and 72. We are unsure about our future cruises on Equinox in April and August1. My wife has one also with daughters on RCCL in July. We will make decision after this upcoming Edge cruise and news we hear until we have to make a decision on the Equinox cruises. The August cruise has a final pay date coming. So it is a little different decision. 

We have a cruise next week- on the Edge- we cancelled.    However we have a cruise scheduled for August- and hopefully things will improve by then.  

While we are healthy, don't want to take any unnecessary risks.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

Despite everything, I just can't bring myself to cancel our April 11 cruise.  Embarkation day is a month away and a lot can happen between now and then.  I'm thinking Celebrity will have to cancel us before we would cancel them.  Why sympathizing with those who are sick and even those who have succumbed to the virus, I still believe this has been over hyped causing panic and fear.  High risk groups aside, I wonder each day why there has never been such an outcry against cruising during flu season or for the contraction of Noro virus, both of which are easily picked up on a cruise ship, air plane, train, market, stadium, etc.  Not even  a peep relating to travel advisories for those illnesses.

Currently in my city, our news agencies are reporting when individuals are diagnosed with the virus...."married man in Fulton county diagnosed with the virus..."  "Lawyer in Conyers suspected to have Corona virus..."  Causing what?  Fear.  My DD lives in Fulton county along with hundreds of thousands of other people.  Should I advise her not to leave her home?  It's just too much and the catastrophic damage the fear mongering is doing has far reaching consequences beyond the virus itself.  All in my opinion, of course.

• Like 2