Assuming unpopular post - diamond lounges

Guest BigRoger

Guest BigRoger

Having a fantastic time on board Allure during this current TA.... but.... having experienced the diamond lounge and the (now two) overspill venues on board during the happy hour I think it’s time that Royal gave up on the lounges.... people going (literally) hours early to reserve themselves several seats or a specific spot... and We’ve never seen the blaze nightclub so busy and chaotic...

no disrespect to the on board team at all who have done a super job to try to manage the semi chaos.... I believe it’s time for royal to (sensibly) improve the selection of drinks options loaded onto cards and maybe modestly increase to say 4-5 a day and any time of day in any bar.... and move on from lounges...

a discount on the drinks package can still be the alternative but the equal chaos of royal drinks package pricing offers makes that much more difficult currently...

anyway.... given growth in diamond, plus and pinnacle member numbers every day now I think it’s time for change.....

1 minute ago, BigRoger said:

I believe it’s time for royal to (sensibly) improve the selection of drinks options loaded onto cards and maybe modestly increase to say 4-5 a day and any time of day in any bar.... and move on from lounges...

Nah, it is probably the same people who would be at Costco grabbing all the toilet paper they can fit in their car. Cannot change the spots on a leopard  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We had nice lounge experiences on our 5 cruises as Diamond in last 2 years (Grandeur, Anthem X 2, Adventure, Explorer) plus 1 on Celebrity Summit and very much looking to our next 4-5 cruises this year.

If you get the drink package this is not a concern, wine served in lounge is really pretty bad, would be nice if we could limit people to a 90 min time period , still 3 free drinks with card is nice. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That has some bearing on your experience, and not typical of her routine sailings.

I agree. Our last Adventure Snowbird Migration cruise was like the OP described but our experience is that it's the exception, and not the norm. We like the diamond lounge, especially being able to use it during the non-social hours. 

Once again, look at the specific cruise before decrying a problem.  

TA's are very, very well known for the huge population of P, D+, and Ds on board.  For many reason, but mostly cost and timing.

When you cruise on expensive cruises, you never see crowded lounges.  Go over 4th of July, Christmas, or New Years and there's a decent chance that the top cruiser will be a D+ out of the 20 on the entire ship.

This is a problem only during very specific times of the year and specific cruises.

17 minutes ago, George C said:

If you get the drink package this is not a concern, wine served in lounge is really pretty bad, would be nice if we could limit people to a 90 min time period , still 3 free drinks with card is nice. 

I like the wine. Why would there be a 90 minute limit? That would hurt the normal "two groups" that normally go (early & late diners). If we had the drink package, we would still attend because we like socializing with the folks that go there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2chiefs said:

I like the wine. Why would there be a 90 minute limit? That would hurt the normal "two groups" that normally go (early & late diners). If we had the drink package, we would still attend because we like socializing with the folks that go there.

As already said there are so many people that stay for entire time, this goes for diamond and concierge, suite lounge normally isn’t bad. I also like lounge but normally stay less than a hour. 

• Like 2

Here we go again.........

The same drinks are loaded on the cards.  Why in the world would  anyone subject  themselves to a crowded lounge with busy servers.   Take a walk to the bars and lounges.  Or, here is an interesting concept, leave the lounge and see a show .  You can even use a voucher in theater.  We rarely if ever have any trouble  a nice spot, meet interesting passengers and have a drink.  

I don't know how many  stay for the entire time, and I would have to stay for the entire time for verification.  Not happening! 

Funny - Many think that complaining about it, will change.  Be careful what you wish for. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

You can't use a transatlantic to measure lounge crowds.  This is not a typical cruise.

There are 1,871 D and D+ on board Allure.  There is no single venue that can hold 1,871 guests.  The Royal Theater can only seat 1,394 so not even the theater can accommodate all happy hour members.  That's why the three coupons are there.  

BTW - If you add P to that there are 2,037 happy hour eligible CAS members on board.  These are not typical CAS numbers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Could someone please tell me what the current policy is for diamonds? Is it the one lounge, or do they load drinks on your card.

Unlimited in the lounge and three drinks on your Seapass card to be used at most venues.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Could someone please tell me what the current policy is for diamonds? Is it the one lounge, or do they load drinks on your card.

I guess I should go read it before my cruise. I'm confused. 

Thanks

Due to the larger than normal numbers of Diamond and Diamond Plus on board they have added the Comedy Club, Jazz on 4 and Blaze as overflow lounges that work just like the actual Diamond Lounge does.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Unlimited in the lounge and three drinks on your Seapass card to be used at most venues.

3 a day or 3 during the cruise. That seems generous.

It seems I havent cruised rcl in a while and unaware of changes. I did vista my last cruise, not sure before that. I wanted Belize to buy some sleep drugs and rcl out of Galveston didnt go there so I had to do carnival, prefer rcl.

I'm back but confused, but seems awesome changes. Didnt have extra drinks last cruise.

Durn spell check, Belize not believe. 

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, BigRoger said:

Having a fantastic time on board Allure during this current TA.... but.... having experienced the diamond lounge and the (now two) overspill venues on board during the happy hour I think it’s time that Royal gave up on the lounges.... people going (literally) hours early to reserve themselves several seats or a specific spot... and We’ve never seen the blaze nightclub so busy and chaotic...

no disrespect to the on board team at all who have done a super job to try to manage the semi chaos.... I believe it’s time for royal to (sensibly) improve the selection of drinks options loaded onto cards and maybe modestly increase to say 4-5 a day and any time of day in any bar.... and move on from lounges...

a discount on the drinks package can still be the alternative but the equal chaos of royal drinks package pricing offers makes that much more difficult currently...

anyway.... given growth in diamond, plus and pinnacle member numbers every day now I think it’s time for change.....

4 or 5 free drinks....  Royal sells the Drink Package to cover that and all day long. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm back but confused, but seems awesome changes. Didnt have extra drinks last cruise.

As long as you are Diamond or above in the Crown and Anchor Society you get 3 drinks from a special happy hour drink menu during the nightly happy hour event every day.  These 3 "coupons" are loaded on your SeaPass and can be used at most bars on board.  

On top of those 3 drink coupons on most ships there is a Diamond Lounge that uses the same happy hour drink menu but in the lounge you don't use your 3 coupons, it's unlimited which is why the lounges are so popular and get crowded during the nightly Diamond event.  

Typically hours are 4:30pm to 8pm (some ships do 5pm to 8:30pm).    Outside of these hours the drink coupons don't work.

The happy hour menu is limited and offers specific beers, wines and liquors.  For example it's currently New Amsterdam Vodka.  If you don't like that vodka you have to pay normally for your favorite brand of vodka.

Other than the first night, we have enjoyed the Diamond Lounge.  After people leave for first dinner seating it empties out quite a bit.  We like having a quiet place during the day to go also.  I think people should stop suggesting changes!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

As already said there are so many people that stay for entire time, this goes for diamond and concierge, suite lounge normally isn’t bad. I also like lounge but normally stay less than a hour. 

So making 90 minutes limit will make lounges even more crowded as more people will arrive at this shorter window. 😉

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

All D and up have them. They are loaded on your card. You can use them outside.

Inside of the lounge drinks are unlimited, outside 3 during Happy Hours.

Edited by Tatka

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think it is way past time for them to not have the lounges.  Just let everyone use the 3 drinks on their card and that's it.  It will happen someday

Many would disagree, but at least if lounges are removed RCI should apply similar conditions which is unlimited drinks from Diamond menu.