Assuming unpopular post - diamond lounges

Guest BigRoger

1 hour ago, George C said:

As already said there are so many people that stay for entire time, this goes for diamond and concierge, suite lounge normally isn’t bad. I also like lounge but normally stay less than a hour. 

Same, a couple of drinks pre dinner around 7pm, especially if it's in the lovely old Viking Crown lounge, a few nibbles and then off to dinner or a show. We do enjoy it but loads of other things to do  around the ship too 

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

The happy hour menu is limited and offers specific beers, wines and liquors.  For example it's currently New Amsterdam Vodka.  If you don't like that vodka you have to pay normally for your favorite brand of vodka.

I think the last time I went to the diamond lounge I couldnt find anything I liked to drink and walked out.

Does anyone know if they have anything with tequila? I dont usually do much else.

I like the lounges and would be sad to see them go.  Royal seems to be handling the large numbers on the cruises where there are a lot of VIPs.  My opinion — Royal will either have Ds only have drinks put on their cards or raise the number of points needed for each level.  But don’t think anything is going to happen until all the corona stuff subsides.   Katherine

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh if they have those I'm good. They posted menu I didnt see anyone I liked  but margaritas are fine. Thanks a lot. 

In posted menus there are no mixed drinks, but if ingredients are from that menu they accommodate most of the time. We had margaritas, bloody marys, version of chocolate martini, cosmopolitan, lemon drop etc. 

3 hours ago, BigRoger said:

no disrespect to the on board team at all who have done a super job to try to manage the semi chaos.... I believe it’s time for royal to (sensibly) improve the selection of drinks options loaded onto cards and maybe modestly increase to say 4-5 a day and any time of day in any bar.... and move on from lounges...

i don’t see the relationship between crowded lounges and the need for a better selection of drinks plus a huge expansion of the hours available for those drinks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I think it is way past time for them to not have the lounges.  Just let everyone use the 3 drinks on their card and that's it.  It will happen someday

Spoken like a non-drinker / non-diamond ....

• Haha 2

We don`t even bother with the lounges anymore. Too crowded and easy to get the 3 free drinks at any bar on the ship including the theatre. 

The exception to this was the suite lounge on Brilliance while we were in Europe. No more than 8 people in their at any given time...was great!!!

2 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

I agree. Our last Adventure Snowbird Migration cruise was like the OP described but our experience is that it's the exception, and not the norm. We like the diamond lounge, especially being able to use it during the non-social hours. 

If I have the  figures correct there were between 1200 and 1300 diamonds and diamond pluses and 123 pinnacles on the Snowbird Migration.  The overflow lounge had no seats within minutes of opening.   Maybe needed tow overflow lounges?

28 minutes ago, Tatka said:

In posted menus there are no mixed drinks, but if ingredients are from that menu they accommodate most of the time. We had margaritas, bloody marys, version of chocolate martini, cosmopolitan, lemon drop etc. 

I think I'm the almost non drinker, ha

I never heard of a lemon drop. Used to hang friday nights locally here and pretty much different scotch over rocks, a few added water.

This cruise I hope to try some of these. 

I think I've had  cosmopolitan but dont remember what it was.

With fewer probably on upcoming cruises, maybe I can try. 

I'm not big on vodka and dont like gin. Allergic to coconuts, so I'm careful about free drinks if I dont know what's in them. I like good tequila and scotch mostly.

Hope liberty I can broaden my tastes. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think I'm the almost non drinker, ha

I never heard of a lemon drop. Used to hang friday nights locally here and pretty much different scotch over rocks, a few added water.

This cruise I hope to try some of these. 

I think I've had  cosmopolitan but dont remember what it was.

With fewer probably on upcoming cruises, maybe I can try. 

I'm not big on vodka and dont like gin. Allergic to coconuts, so I'm careful about free drinks if I dont know what's in them. I like good tequila and scotch mostly.

Hope liberty I can broaden my tastes. 

Well.. my husband is not a non-drinker, but he always orders Hennessy or Courvoisier brandy (whatever particular ship offers)

I do not like strait up drinks so I see what people are ordering and ask

Lemon drop is a Martini with lemon juice.

Cosmopolitan is a vodka with cranberry and lime juices served in martini glass.

I cannot drink gins, scotches as they dry me up.

I do not drink much at home at all lately, so for us 3-4 cruises with Royal out of 5-6 a year is a nice tradition in terms of DL. Not only drinks, but snacks and views.

Love DL near VCL, but alspo Grandeur's with overflow to South Pacific.

On Anthem they recently created a nice overflaw to Music Hall.

Edited by Tatka

Guest BigRoger

Agreed may not be totally typical.... but it is a reality currently of this TA and other similar sailings... but given growth in numbers every day... it’s coming to a sailing near you.....

my point was of course you can find quiet sailings where the lounge (is still) a nice social experience.... but with the GROWTH of numbers it’s not going to be the exception but the norm that it’s crowded and towels in place to book seats...

re the poster who couldn’t see the links to suggestions - they were simply that ‘gives’ which will cost Royal little to save them a lot in space and manpower..... but ones which Royal would be able to point to as improving the current loyalty offering of the 3 free drinks.....

they of course would not need to do something they have every right to simply withdraw the lounges off they wanted but to offer a little back to loyal guests would give them something to point to....

the simple point here is sailing into the future the lounges will become unsustainable....

35 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Spoken like a non-drinker / non-diamond ....

AS a D+  my friends and I hate the lounges.  Mostly full of unhappy complaining people. The thought that someone will plan their day, go to the lounge at 4:30pm and save ten seats for their "friends" coming at 5:30  is laughable.  We simply have better things to do.  We think the 3 drinks are great.  We can do what we want, sit where we want  and enjoy our day.  Unless I am in a suite on the oasis class, I simply am not interested in a lounge.  

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I never heard of a lemon drop.

A bit off-topic, but on the Majesty last month, I'm waiting to order my Happy Hour drink at a bar, and an Australian lady asked me about what to order.  She didn't know what most of the drinks were.

We chatted, and I suggested a lemon drop martini.  I asked her on my way out about it, and she absolutely LOOOOOOVED it.  A new convert.  😀

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

AS a D+  my friends and I hate the lounges.  Mostly full of unhappy complaining people. We think the 3 drinks are great.  We can do what we want, sit where we want  and enjoy our day.  Unless I am in a suite on the oasis class, I simply am not interested in a lounge.  

Maybe I don't pay attention or just lucky, but we never experienced this. Only read on internet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, squadron said:

If I have the  figures correct there were between 1200 and 1300 diamonds and diamond pluses and 123 pinnacles on the Snowbird Migration.  The overflow lounge had no seats within minutes of opening.   Maybe needed tow overflow lounges?

So were all other seats and all other bars on the ship also filled.  I don’t understand why folks want to flock to a venue that thru know will be crowded especially, when it first opens. 

I know that TA cruises and migration cruises are a bit different from others.  

I’ve only taken one transatlantic, and found a great bartender at schooner  bar. I went there every night for my evening cocktail (or maybe two). Met lots of great people, both new passengers as well as repeat passengers. I didn’t need to sit in a special lounge to meet other passengers   Visited the lounge in the morning for a cup of cappuccino.   

No complaints from me. 

I’m guessing few of you have been cruising long enough to remember the chocolates on the pillows, that people complained about. I’m guessing few of you have been cruising  long enough to remember the gifts we were provided, such as hats -totes-toiletry bags -picture frames, that people complained about. Many were very vocal about the the gifts as well as the chocolates. Well Royal Caribbean surely shut people up by simply eliminating   those items.  Once the gifts were taken away, nothing to complain about.  Ah ha!  keep up the screaming, and the lounge and/or drinks will be next. 

Do you really think that Royal Caribbean actually cares that the free lounge for passengers to get free drinks is too crowded.  And do you think that if you complain you’ll get more vouchers on your card or “better drinks”?  Please come back to reality and enjoy the benefit while you still have it. 

my two cents. 
m

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Maybe I don't pay attention or just lucky, but we never experienced this. Only read on internet.

I have seen multiple temper tantrums in the lounges, and people disrespecting staff.  It's embarrassing to watch this.. so we simply remove our self from the situation.  Of course there are nice people.   However.  Listening to someone complain, or talk down to the staff is enough to make me not want to go.  Besides?  Whats the point?  there is a whole ship to enjoy your beverage?  Why smash yourself into a crowded room ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

I have seen multiple temper tantrums in the lounges, and people disrespecting staff.  It's embarrassing to watch this.. so we simply remove our self from the situation.  Of course there are nice people.   However.  Listening to someone complain, or talk down to the staff is enough to make me not want to go.  Besides?  Whats the point?  there is a whole ship to enjoy your beverage?  Why smash yourself into a crowded room ?

Exaggerate much??!!...I am well past D+ in RCCL cruises and I have never experienced this in a lounge....

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Shhhh, don't try to change their minds.  

The more people avoid the lounges for "reasons", the better off we all will be.

Are there bad people there?  Sure.  If that makes you so uncomfortable, please, feel free to not go.  I'm totally fine with that.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

We don`t even bother with the lounges anymore. Too crowded and easy to get the 3 free drinks at any bar on the ship including the theatre. 

The exception to this was the suite lounge on Brilliance while we were in Europe. No more than 8 people in their at any given time...was great!!!

Brilliance concierge lounge on our Europe trip a few years ago was totally great, amazing staff and concierge and even with drink package it was my favorite bar by far. I once asked for something they didn’t have and bartender offered to go to another bar to get it for us, we declined. 

22 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Exaggerate much??!!...I am well past D+ in RCCL cruises and I have never experienced this in a lounge....

LOL  ....  So you must be god now?  I am constantly amazed at the arrogance of some people on cruise critic.  How dare I have a different experience than yourself?  And you feel the need to attack me simply because I have had a different experience than yourself?  OMG  what a joke!   If you have never experienced it, it is not real?  LOL  Exaggerate much????? LOL    Please forgive me your lordship.  Not only are you the foremost authority of MISINFORMATION on coronovirus, you now are the ONLY royal Caribbean customer allowed to have an opinion?  LOL  

I love Royal.  I too am well past D+  but because of the behavior of some.  I have chosen (and my friends as well).  To avoid the lounges and enjoy the ship.  

And instead of Saying nasty things to these guests, or starting a fight.  We simply chose to leave and not go back.  Seems simple and fair enough?  

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

4 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Shhhh, don't try to change their minds.  

The more people avoid the lounges for "reasons", the better off we all will be.

Are there bad people there?  Sure.  If that makes you so uncomfortable, please, feel free to not go.  I'm totally fine with that.

Correct.

That is what I am saying.  Because of the "bad people"  and OUR personal experience.  we chose not to go there.  And enjoy the ship.