Splendor! 14th March 2020 - Live JOINT blog

Hambagahle

As Mr Rumor always says this is "setting the table" for the San Diego to Miami 14th March cruise on the Splendor.   Unfortunately, many of the people who would have been posting on this blog will not be on the cruise - including BobLerm,  Bellagio Cruisers, ScubaDiver and others.  We will miss them and hope they will travel along with us in a virtual cruise.

Splendor will dock in San Diego tomorrow (I can see the dock from my hotel room!) but should have left tomorrow for a 2 day cruise for travel agents.  Sadly this has been cancelled.  I have no idea if visits on board from TAs are planned - I would have to think they are.

When we first booked this cruise, 3 years ago, we would have been on Explorer and sailing from Miami to San Diego in February.  Suddenly and very early on the cruise was wait-listed.  Some of us questioned why...and then we found out!  Explorer would be replaced by Splendor!  Ken and I changed our plans to take the cruise LA/Miami to be with friends, especially Bellagio Cruisers.  Now Sheila and Herb won't be on board...   Many people have cancelled the cruise and I suppose (and will find out later) that the ship might be half full.   I was keeping the Roll Call list and until last week at 58 people on it.  Now that is well under 50...

Ken and I flew to San Francisco from Zürich last Saturday.  Had a wonderful flight with Swiss (First class at less than normal Business class prices as a result of a "sale").  To get over the 9 hour time difference we stayed put at the new Grand Hyatt at the SFO airport for 3 nights and yesterday flew to San Diego.  Anyone needing a place to overnight at the SFO airport should know that the new Hyatt is sensational!  The best airport hotel I have ever stayed at and indeed would be a great hotel anywhere.   Now we are waiting for Saturday.  Meantime heading out to shop.

Gerry, thank you so much for starting this thread.  Actually "boblerm" was going to start this (it was him or me and he lost the coin toss).  Sadly, Bob had to cancel so Gerry was gracious enough do the "table setting" for him.  

Those of us on Roll Call have been close and those that needed to cancel will be missed on the cruise!  Hope that they follow along.

The current thread from Splendor has been wonderful - with great photos, etc.  I want to concentrate on the differences between Explorer and Splendor.  It is our hope that many CC'ers from Roll Call will post on this thread.

Right now I'm just hoping that everyone stays safe and healthy.  That is most important!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Right now I'm just hoping that everyone stays safe and healthy.  That is most important!

Absolutely.  Hoping you all have a wonderful cruise.  Looking forward to the reports.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

WOO HOO! I have my napkin in my lap and I'm ready for that set table! Will be following every word, so as to hear more about

Regent's new kid on the block!

Stay safe and healthy!

Best,

Linda and John

• Like 1

We had to cancel a month ago for mom’s back surgery but I think we would still be going if we could. This cruise is nearly the same itinerary as our Explorer cruise was two years ago and I’m sure that you’ll have a wonderful time. 
I look forward to seeing your posts as you sail.

• Like 1

Gerry, Jackie, and all the others on this wonderful cruise,

A message on behalf of those of us that have found it necessary to opt out:
I believe that you have an ethical obligation to have an extra great time to make up for what we will be missing!🙂

Jeannie and I will be traveling with you virtually every day at 4PM Eastern while we have our cocktails and pretend that we are with you.  We will be with you in spirit!

Have a blast!

Bob
  • Like 2

Anxious to be following along!  We will be on Splendor in June.  A friend asked me if we were going to cancel.  I looked at them like they were crazy.  For one thing, the coronavirus issue will probably have blown over by then, and even if it hasn't I intend to go on with my life. We had to post a huge sign on the entrance to our office saying not to enter and with a number to call if you think you have symptoms.  Why we haven't had to do that with the flu is beyond me because people come in with that all the time and infect everyone.

So - life is never simple!   Trump's ban on travel from Europe to the USA will inevitably result in airlines not flying in either direction.  Which means for us - Swiss will not be there to fly us home from the cruise on 4 April (date we had chosen...)  So what to do?   Right after his speech on TV I got onto Air Canada and booked a flight FLL/YYZ (Toronto) the day we leave Splendor and then a flight next day to ZRH.   All of which are refundable IF things change with US policy.

What this policy will do to airlines, cruise lines and tourism in general is beyond belief and its value for getting rid of or protecting from COVID-19 is debatable at the best.   Anyway - tomorrow morning Splendor will be outside my window!!  So more news ... tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Gerry and other Splendor cruisers. You had better get on board quickly. Carnival and Viking have suspended all worldwide cruising from today until various dates in May.

i genuinely hope you all make it

As of this moment, it is Princess (not Carnival) that is suspending operations.  As is Viking.  Unless I missed something...  so many developments.  

The beautiful Splendor glided into her berth at San Diego at 0600 or a little before this morning.  We saw her come in and after the comments above we really hope we shall be sailing out of the harbour on her this Saturday.

25 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

The beautiful Splendor glided into her berth at San Diego at 0600 or a little before this morning.  We saw her come in and after the comments above we really hope we shall be sailing out of the harbour on her this Saturday.

Gerry, I was going to wish you a wonderful cruise, but now I just wish you and Ken a cruise!  Seriously, fingers crossed there will be no breaking developments and that you and Ken and the others who are carrying on with San Diego-Miami will have a splendid time.  This veteran (since 2012) Hambagahle blog reader will be looking forward to your every post/observation!

Rich

Thank you Rich -- I hope we cruise too.  I have made contingency plans for our flight home after the cruise (and could move them up if needed).  Meantime Splendor sits there outside my window, shrouded in rain and mist.  So tantalising !!  

IMG_1236.jpeg

• Like 3

Gerry - great photo!  Hopefully, once we get onboard we can get posters to post about coronavirus on the coronavirus threads.  If we want/need to know something, we can go there.  

You are so close to the ship that you could "almost" (not quite) walk.  Our plane doesn't arrive until 12:30 p.m. so we won't be onboard until around 1:30 p.m.  The private transfer from the airport will be quick but we have to wait for our luggage.

Our TA advised us last night that our cruise is exempt from needing a medical statement from our doctor but it will be required in the future.  Will post more about this on the coronavirus thread.