I heard a real quick discussion of whether the government should save the cruise industry

ontheweb

14 minutes ago, K32682 said:

What was missing from 9/11 and 2008 was stigma that applied exclusively to cruise lines.  The images of the Diamond Princess won't die easily.   It's not news that cruise ships often facilitated the spread of viruses but COVID-19 takes it to a whole new level. 

Outside of CC I am not see any blame being directed specifically at cruise ships.  Universal opposition to bailing them out because they aren’t American companies, but no real stigma.  Diamond will be  forgotten quicker than Triumph. Problem is they are too over leveraged to withstand even a brief disruption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

What would you do if you bought a depreciating asset by taking a huge loan; and then find that you are unable to use it for whatever reason

Unfortunately I think many who recently financed vehicles (depreciating asset) and are now not working/under stay at home orders are facing this very situation.

6 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Unfortunately I think many who recently financed vehicles (depreciating asset) and are now not working/under stay at home orders are facing this very situation.

I would rather bail them out than the cruise lines.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Actually I was referring to the cruise ships

5 hours ago, drsel said:

What would you do if you bought a depreciating asset by taking a huge loan; and then find that you are unable to use it for whatever reason

Cry? Whine?

8 hours ago, whogo said:

Cruise lines are "out of bailout package" according to this Washington Post article. "The industry’s trade group, the Cruise Lines International Association, acknowledged Thursday that the major cruise lines weren’t included in the package..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/26/cruise-line-bailout/ 

Good.  They are getting exactly what they deserve.  

DON

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ed01106 said:

I thought all the cruise lines shut down two weeks ago?

Not all ships were allowed to just dock and offload. The ship in question was refused by at least 4 countries after the announced shutdown. Now has been refused by Panama canal to return to its home port. Looking for another port.

There are about half a dozen or so ships that have not officially shutdown yet. Mostly because no ports in their area will accept them, cases or not.

Another line and couldn't be worse press, dead on board, and likely nowhere to go:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/four-dead-holland-america-cruise-ship/index.html

Seems like we got two ships now that will have a problem, one ship with thousands of passengers where many likely have virus but no symptoms and another with the sick, wow oh wow.

Edited by chipmaster

46 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Another line and couldn't be worse press, dead on board, and likely nowhere to go:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but have other passengers, singular or plural, died ON the ship?

53 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/four-dead-holland-america-cruise-ship/index.html

Seems like we got two ships now that will have a problem, one ship with thousands of passengers where many likely have virus but no symptoms and another with the sick, wow oh wow.

Huh? The Zaandam is the only ship with sick pax on board.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Huh? The Zaandam is the only ship with sick pax on board.

Symptomatic versus asymptomatic. So I'm guessing there are pax who are or will be sick on both.