Upgrade Surprise

Cruise Raider

I have never EVER gotten any upgrade. Its so annoying hearing about people who get upgrades, bonuses and etc. Why am I not getting any? Last time I was cruising in Atlantic, I was offered a welcome drink on board lol - this was like the biggest bonus I have ever got. At some point I wish I had booked a cruise for March-April, maybe I could get some kind of reimbursement or a FCC credit. well, maybe next time I will be more lucky  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I have never EVER gotten any upgrade. Its so annoying hearing about people who get upgrades, bonuses and etc. Why am I not getting any? Last time I was cruising in Atlantic, I was offered a welcome drink on board lol - this was like the biggest bonus I have ever got. At some point I wish I had booked a cruise for March-April, maybe I could get some kind of reimbursement or a FCC credit. well, maybe next time I will be more lucky  

We've cruise pretty extensively and were never really given upgrades, upsells or move over offers.  Then, I thought to ask how the travel agent I was using forwarded these offers to me.  I was told they don't....they are just too busy.  I really like the perks that come through using this travel agency but not that policy on forwarding cruiseline offers to their clients.   So, I sometimes just book directly through the cruiseline and this seems to be helpful.  I did get one small upgrade through Princess in the past (an inside to obstructed oceanview) and considered it an excellent upgrade.  This was given to me on the day before the cruise.  On other cruises booked direcctly through Princess and received a few upsell offers, one of which was too great to turn down, and more recently, a move over offer.  I'm sure others do get these offers through their TA, I've just had better luck with direct bookings.  

With all that aside, if you book a cruise from now until the end of the year, they may offer you an upgrade.  It seems to be happening with a much increased frequency for this year's sailings.  I recently booked a sailing and wanted a balcony and was told they could put me in a mini suite for no extra charge.   So, if you want one of those upgrades, maybe try booking something for this summer.  Who knows ... maybe you will get that elusive upgrade.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've cruise pretty extensively and were never really given upgrades, upsells or move over offers.  Then, I thought to ask how the travel agent I was using forwarded these offers to me.  I was told they don't....they are just too busy.  I really like the perks that come through using this travel agency but not that policy on forwarding cruiseline offers to their clients.   So, I sometimes just book directly through the cruiseline and this seems to be helpful.  I did get one small upgrade through Princess in the past (an inside to obstructed oceanview) and considered it an excellent upgrade.  This was given to me on the day before the cruise.  On other cruises booked direcctly through Princess and received a few upsell offers, one of which was too great to turn down, and more recently, a move over offer.  I'm sure others do get these offers through their TA, I've just had better luck with direct bookings.  

With all that aside, if you book a cruise from now until the end of the year, they may offer you an upgrade.  It seems to be happening with a much increased frequency for this year's sailings.  I recently booked a sailing and wanted a balcony and was told they could put me in a mini suite for no extra charge.   So, if you want one of those upgrades, maybe try booking something for this summer.  Who knows ... maybe you will get that elusive upgrade.  

My experience is pretty much the same as yours, Cruise Raider. Lots of cruises under my belt, a few upsells taken, one move over and once, a bona fide complimentary upgrade. Thrilling to say the least! It was booked as a guarantee, however, my preference is  to select my own cabin. I'm just happy to catch my first glimpse of the ship whenever I start a new trip. Not sure when the next trip will be. Staying positive, washing hands and crossing fingers to stay healthy until this pandemic runs its course. 

Edited by CruzeQueen2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Book a guarantee cabin. Possible upgrade that way.

I did that another time...and got my cabin assignment for a Gte oceanview on the night before sailing. P202. Last cabin forward, right by three doors coming out from crew cabins. Doors slamming for wakeup alarm started at 5.00 a.m. So I now am too afraid to  take those  chances again. LOL.Thanks for your input, though 😊

29 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

I did that another time...and got my cabin assignment for a Gte oceanview on the night before sailing. P202. Last cabin forward, right by three doors coming out from crew cabins. Doors slamming for wakeup alarm started at 5.00 a.m. So I now am too afraid to  take those  chances again. LOL.Thanks for your input, though 😊

Thanks for the laugh.....Sorry your cabin was so bad.

13 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

You laughed? We didn't!  Oh well. We've had plenty of great trips, great cabins over the years. One day...in the meantime, stay healthy!

I was laughing at your comment not to tke those chances again!

2 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I was laughing at your comment not to tke those chances again!

😊 Still not convinced there is a code that we can crack for how upgrades are awarded. It's fun to think that it is possible...though not totally probable. Chances are slim to none, at best I figure. Keeping that in mind, I select a cabin category and specific cabin location that I know I will like. C'est la vie.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Book a guarantee cabin. Possible upgrade that way.

Having received some complimentary upgrades in the past, they happened both when I had selected a cabin and when when I had a GTY.

I do not think having a GTY increases or decreases the chance you will  get a visit from the Upgrade Fairy.

upgrade, moveover & GTY fairy.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

My experience is pretty much the same as yours, Cruise Raider. Lots of cruises under my belt, a few upsells taken, one move over and once, a bona fide complimentary upgrade. Thrilling to say the least! It was booked as a guarantee, however, my preference is  to select my own cabin. I'm just happy to catch my first glimpse of the ship whenever I start a new trip. Not sure when the next trip will be. Staying positive, washing hands and crossing fingers to stay healthy until this pandemic runs its course. 

well, my next cruise is in Mid May but, it may not happen with the way things are looking.  It’s ok, though ... it’s from our home port so we don’t have any other plans to alter if the cruise is canceled.  I sure hope the summer weather will help wipe this bug off the face of the earth ... the sailing we have booked after that is in August.  Fingers crossed ... that one is for a big birthday.  
oh yes, frequent hand washing is our routine and we are hunkered down here at our home ... haven’t left the house in a couple of weeks.  We pulled out some of our leftover pillow chocolates from our last cruise when we received our medallions from our recently canceled cruise.  I think we’ve got this lockdown thing mastered. 😉 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Do you have a booking right now? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Honestly - it was stressful having a cruise scheduled for April. I saw conditions get bad where I was ending my cruise and Princess hasn't made a decision. My stress level was a 10 on a scale of 1-10. It was a 26 night cruise and I could just see things get really bad after I had left and before I got to my destination where I had planned a land trip. Now the wait for reimbursement. It is stressful.

I have a friend whose elderly parents paid for 30 of them to go to Alaska in June with HAL. They know they are not going but the parent just wants a decision made and their money back.

I am feeling very lucky right now.  We are taking an Alaska Cruise hopefully July 8. We are taking our daughters and had booked 2 club class mini Suites.  The upgrade fairy (my TA) just called and we were upgraded to 2 vista suites.  This is for our 45th anniversary.  Just to play safe, we did book another cruise for next year just to play safe with a refundable deposit . I am really hoping this is the year we get to go.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Iamom75 said:

I am feeling very lucky right now.  We are taking an Alaska Cruise hopefully July 8. We are taking our daughters and had booked 2 club class mini Suites.  The upgrade fairy (my TA) just called and we were upgraded to 2 vista suites.  This is for our 45th anniversary.  Just to play safe, we did book another cruise for next year just to play safe with a refundable deposit . I am really hoping this is the year we get to go.

I have my fingers crossed that this sailing goes without a hitch.  What a fabulous upgrade!!  Very happy for you!!  

The upgrade fairy must have visited last night or this morning.  I am scheduled for Alaska, late August, and was upgraded from a forward obstructed ocean view on the Lido to a mid-ship balcony on the Riviera.  I don’t even think we will be cruising then.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:34 AM, Coral said:

Honestly - it was stressful having a cruise scheduled for April. I saw conditions get bad where I was ending my cruise and Princess hasn't made a decision. My stress level was a 10 on a scale of 1-10. It was a 26 night cruise and I could just see things get really bad after I had left and before I got to my destination where I had planned a land trip. Now the wait for reimbursement. It is stressful.

I have a friend whose elderly parents paid for 30 of them to go to Alaska in June with HAL. They know they are not going but the parent just wants a decision made and their money back.

The upgrade is less exciting for me since they removed the 100 percent FCC they gave me. Not sure why that happened. An explanation would help us understand better what’s going on with Princess. I realize though that we cannot do anything but wait. Hoping it all works out for you. 

4 minutes ago, dog said:

The upgrade is less exciting for me since they removed the 100 percent FCC they gave me. Not sure why that happened. An explanation would help us understand better what’s going on with Princess. I realize though that we cannot do anything but wait. Hoping it all works out for you. 

Thanks! I am starting to think my December cruise won't happen.

• Like 1

My extended family group had 4 inside cabins (not guarantees) for the August 1st Grand cruise to Alaska and we all got upgraded to balconies! I imagine a ton of people bailed from that ship after it had the coronavirus issues in SF and they are trying to sweeten the deal to keep us from canceling too.

I'm excited, but I fear it won't end up happening and our big upgrades will be for naught.

We are booked for an Alaskan cruise September 20th. I just got the email we were upgraded from  inside cabin to a balcony cabin in the Caribe deck. My husband wanted me to cancel the cruise but now I'm going to try to talk him into going. This is our first cruise and I booked direct with princess.

• Like 3

Feeling a little down in the dumps as I know it is only a matter of time before Princess cancels our May 20, 2020, 14-day cruise to Alaska.  Have already cancelled some of our independent excursions and pushed them to next May.  We have one last shot left at Alaska and that is with our August 16, 2020 cruise sailing round trip from Seattle.  Today, I decided to take a look at our booking to see if prices had dropped and I was shocked----our interior cabin had been upgraded to a nice balcony---Thank you Princess, you made my day!  While I realize that the cruise might be a long shot, I am happy to live in the moment and enjoy the thought of sitting on my balcony watching the beauty of Alaska.  After 27 trips to this pristine place, it is hard to imagine that we might not make it to Alaska this year.  We have hope --- so no negative comments --- just let me enjoy the moment. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TMAdair said:

We are booked for an Alaskan cruise September 20th. I just got the email we were upgraded from  inside cabin to a balcony cabin in the Caribe deck. My husband wanted me to cancel the cruise but now I'm going to try to talk him into going. This is our first cruise and I booked direct with princess.

I hope everything is resolved by the time of your cruise!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TMAdair said:

At least you stand a chance of that cruise happening.  I have one in May and one in late August booked.  I am pretty sure the May one is going to be canceled.  I did get an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite on that sailing.  But, they are not dropping the prices so, it appears they are not really trying to fill the ship.  I saw the same pattern for my April cruise that was ultimately canceled.  I'm holding out some hope for the August sailing on which I am booked.  None of us, including the cruiselines, have been through anything like this before so, there is really no predicting how anything will go at this point in time.  I will keep my fingers crossed that your cruise is still on.  Alaska is such a special place!!  

Never received an upgrade before after 20 cruises.  Just checked and we were upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite -- L716.  Is this a good location?  Near the Vista Lounge port side.  If I want to change to a different location – like – R525 will I have to pay the difference in price between the two?  Help!