CC: please start a 70+ category

Canuker

Just found interesting info .    Same for Carnival,  Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.  ( I’m sure others but only interested in those).  New criteria for guests 70 and older must get a Dr,  release that they are healthy enough to sail.  Not sure if this is temporary.

That would be age discrimination in my opinion .  Many over 70s are healthier than many under 70. Many doctors would not sign such a release due to liability issues. We already pay a premium for insurance which is understandable based on statics. Isn't that enough!  And we (our choice) pay a premium for the luxury lines amenities. More than half the passengers on some lines are over 70. 

• Like 6

Who cruises? Contrary to the old adage that vacations at sea mainly attract “the over fed and nearly dead,” that’s not the case.

The cruise industry has been working hard over the past two decades to change its demographics, attracting younger consumers. Research from Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) shows as of last year only 13% of customers for the $150 billion industry are over 70 years old.

Forbes, 8 March 2020

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, honumaui said:

That would be age discrimination in my opinion .  

What law would that violate? I'm not being argumentative, but that response (age discrimination) has been posted on many boards but no one has answered my question.  The only law of which I am aware in the US that prohibits age discrimination due to age is the ADEA which prohibits age discrimination in employment. Are there EU or UK laws that prohibit age discrimination in vacations?  Saga cruises are only for age 50+.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

What law would that violate? I'm not being argumentative, but that response (age discrimination) has been posted on many boards but no one has answered my question.  The only law of which I am aware in the US that prohibits age discrimination due to age is the ADEA which prohibits age discrimination in employment. Are there EU or UK laws that prohibit age discrimination in vacations?  Saga cruises are only for age 50+.

How about collusion! Is it coincidence that all the majors have agreed on the same policy?

Broadly, collusion or conspiracy is generally not a crime unless the underlying act is a crime.  Posters were referencing Age Discrimination.  So I ask, what law would be violated by requiring medical certificates from over 70's would-be cruisers?  People may not think it's fair, but I can't find any law it would violate.

BTW, don't all (or at least most) cruise lines prohibit babies under age six months?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 7:14 PM, cb at sea said:

I think the OP was just saying that what makes "50" different?  Makes it sound like 50 year olds are old and decrepit......and most are NOT!

Most assuredly, in my experience.  I was "hale and hearty", full of "vim and vigor" and remained in that condition until my 70's began.  Not any immediate noticeable difference, but, awareness of "a change" began. 

I booked a cruise to celebrate my 70th birthday and sailed with some friends who agreed to come along.  I really didn't understand how significant that cruise would become.  

On 4/25/2020 at 3:25 AM, Etta1213 said:

Actually, I really like the idea.

Yes!  Conversations among those of us of that age group might be very helpful.  Suggestions/ideas that others have had that "worked" for them as they continued their travels/cruises might inspire those of us who still want to keep traveling/cruising.  Plus provide new ideas for us as well.  

On 4/25/2020 at 10:11 PM, lenquixote66 said:

How about one for 75 and older ?

Yes!  What I could comfortably and safely do at 75 has changed each succeeding year.  And, I expect that to continue.  

I am just thankful that I am able to do as well as I can.  While cruising again would be more physically challenging in 2021 than it was in 2020, it's still possible that I could do it.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to wish my life away, but in my later 60s I'm conscious of time passing. I volunteer in several capacities and as a generalisation it seems that most men are still going well at 70 but by 75 have definitely aged, in most cases giving up more physical work. Of course there are exceptions.

On my last cruise, my fellow diners included a delightful 92 year old. One of others asked, somewhat tactlessly, where at this age she didn't need a travelling companion. She looked at them sharply and said that when she got old she'd consider it!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 2:16 AM, MelbTone said:

On my last cruise, my fellow diners included a delightful 92 year old. One of others asked, somewhat tactlessly, where at this age she didn't need a travelling companion. She looked at them sharply and said that when she got old she'd consider it!

During my cruises I enjoyed in 2019, a dining companion happened to be a gentleman with whom I had shared a dining room table previously.  He was 90.  He apparently was in much better physical condition than me.  We were both equally mentally sharp, however.  I think.  How one ages is interesting.  More so now than it once was.  😀

A bit disappointing that CC has not responded to the suggestion that a 70+ topic on this Forum has not been addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 4:49 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Who cruises? Contrary to the old adage that vacations at sea mainly attract “the over fed and nearly dead,” that’s not the case.

The cruise industry has been working hard over the past two decades to change its demographics, attracting younger consumers. Research from Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) shows as of last year only 13% of customers for the $150 billion industry are over 70 years old.

Forbes, 8 March 2020

I think they left HAL out of that survey...

• Like 1

I'll brag a bit.  I'll be 70 soon.  I still ride my Harley, still play with cars, and take no prescription medications. I never smoked, don't overeat, but do enjoy a wee dram in the evening.  I do notice the odd aches and pains a little more than ten years ago, but my philosophy is to move it or lose it.  I keep crossing off items on my bucket list and keep adding to it.  A lot of aging gracefully is attitude.

Every day is a gift not to be wasted.

• Like 1

As a newly minted 60yo I would love to read any tips or advice about traveling as we age. We are active people but even small discoveries like compression socks for flying have improved our travel experiences. Or how to deal with the unexpected, like when DH had motion sickness for the first time on a calm ship after years and years with no problem at all, even in the roughest seas. What about discounts or other perks? Knee friendly excursions? So many possibilities.

I would totally be a lurker on a 70+ forum!

4 hours ago, MJC said:

As a newly minted 60yo I would love to read any tips or advice about traveling as we age. We are active people but even small discoveries like compression socks for flying have improved our travel experiences. Or how to deal with the unexpected, like when DH had motion sickness for the first time on a calm ship after years and years with no problem at all, even in the roughest seas. What about discounts or other perks? Knee friendly excursions? So many possibilities.

I would totally be a lurker on a 70+ forum!

One of my suggestions would be-----fly business class if it is possible. When I am going overseas, it is the only way I fly now. You might not even need those compression socks because the seats go all the way down into a bed😃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll brag a bit.  I'll be 70 soon.  I still ride my Harley, still play with cars, and take no prescription medications. I never smoked, don't overeat, but do enjoy a wee dram in the evening.  I do notice the odd aches and pains a little more than ten years ago, but my philosophy is to move it or lose it.  I keep crossing off items on my bucket list and keep adding to it.  A lot of aging gracefully is attitude.

Every day is a gift not to be wasted.

Hi,🙂 you are definitely in "the exception to the rule" category. Glad you are 100% healthy and don't need any meds!  I have had 2 forms of cancer and thankfully the medications I take keep me in remission but they will be part of my daily regimen well.......one for the next 4 years and the other, for the rest of my life.  I am 63 and feel pretty good overall though.  (Thankfully).......I have multiple cruises booked and so yes, I love to travel and will continue to do so---hopefully!!!!!!!

• Like 1

We are with you Lois. Although we are in pretty good health for 78 and 79 we will only fly Business to Europe now which is why we cruise there on Regent.  We also like Oceania and are booked on them for Alaska ( second time) next year.  Our favorite for the Carib. is the Wind Surf. The sails make us feel young! Did two b to b 's on it a few years ago. We also like the size of their Motorized yachts. Booked on them for Canadian east  coast for the second time next year too.  As we get older we prefer to stay away from the crowds on the big ships. Sometimes I think just looking forward to these cruises is helping us to stay healthy. Walking the dog every day and playing pickle ball also helps !