Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

So all Australia is a Hot Spot according to Qld Govt?  I think I will stay out of the joint, even though I have family up there, sister and brother @ Currumbin, Nerang and the Vet Grand daughter at Townsville.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, MMDown Under said:

That was a great trip!  Did the TA in Adelaide organise the trip?

No, it was a Princess deal, organised by our then TA at Engadine NSW. Our Ghan trip down in the February 2004 was only the 2nd trip down by the Ghan on the new line. There were many Train nuts on board, Aussies and overseas. Many of them thought it was a new train, no !! Old rolling stock from the 70's and 80's, just new rails. So the enthusiasts were a bit unhappy.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't trust that Anna P with her open and shut border policies, she could shut it again in a micro second.

Not sure I trust any of them not to snap borders shut. Would love to get to MELB yo see sunny, or TAs, just to see Tassie, or SA maybe a river cruise. But have no faith I will be able to get back or not get half way there and another snap lock out.

Just think of the weeks missing work and the accommodation costs if you get stuck in a 10+ week lockout.

If I thought cruising was on my agenda I’d be real worried, I’m not rich enough yo spend months on end trapped somewhere and can’t get back.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not sure I trust any of them not to snap borders shut. Would love to get to MELB yo see sunny, or TAs, just to see Tassie, or SA maybe a river cruise. But have no faith I will be able to get back or not get half way there and another snap lock out.

Just think of the weeks missing work and the accommodation costs if you get stuck in a 10+ week lockout.

If I thought cruising was on my agenda I’d be real worried, I’m not rich enough yo spend months on end trapped somewhere and can’t get back.

NSW rarely closes its borders so as long as the border into whichever state you want to visit is open and you can get there direct from NSW then you should be OK. That was the premise we used earlier this year.

53 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

You think? We’ll only be able to cruise if we FLY to the cruise terminal?   I sure hope you’re wrong 😲

QLD should be well past the 80% vaccinated before any cruises depart from there. Anyway I was referring to the other requirements   prior to 90% vaccinated ie fully vaccinated and a negative Covid test no more than 72 hours before arriving in QLD. 

• Like 1

Another one bites the dust!!  Oceania has just announced the revised itinerary for their World Cruise - no NZ or Australia!!  I guess I'll have to wait until the LA to Sydney cruise (starting in Sept 22 in LA) on Regatta to get back to Australia!

Edited by Thousand Oaks Traveler
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I understand one of the companies is Ponant, who have kept two ships close by in the hope to return to sailing asap. 

I’m watching their cancellations closely, they have currently cancelled all cruises up to the 23/12, they have one cruise scheduled to leave Hobart on the 23/12 a circumnavigation of Tasmania that includes three days in Hobart at the finish line of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race (they are sponsors), so i presume they will be working hard to have a ship in port for that. The other ship is planned to be in NZ, which is even less likely to go ahead.

Ponant have religiously cancelled cruises 2 months out, so they will be cancelling within the next few days if they dont get approval.

We are booked to do a back to back leaving Dunedin on 6/1 (only booked back to back because it was cheaper), but the main cruise we are holding our breath on is the Ross sea Antartica cruise due to leave on the 13/1

Weve been told they are in negotiations with the government now to change the embarkation port from Dunedin to Hobart, while we have been waiting for it to cancel, there may be a slight glimmer of hope, if the government really want to start negotiating with cruise lines, they would likely be looking closely at the CLIA’s resumption of cruising plan, which includes small ship cruises as a test. The fact our cruise is an expedition and therefore have no ports as such, it seems that maybe (ok big maybe) they may consider it.

Time will tell, hopefully we will have an answer within the next two weeks 🤔 

21 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

We are booked to do a back to back leaving Dunedin on 6/1 (only booked back to back because it was cheaper), but the main cruise we are holding our breath on is the Ross sea Antartica cruise due to leave on the 13/1

Weve been told they are in negotiations with the government now to change the embarkation port from Dunedin to Hobart, while we have been waiting for it to cancel, there may be a slight glimmer of hope, if the government really want to start negotiating with cruise lines, they would likely be looking closely at the CLIA’s resumption of cruising plan, which includes small ship cruises as a test. The fact our cruise is an expedition and therefore have no ports as such, it seems that maybe (ok big maybe) they may consider it.

Time will tell, hopefully we will have an answer within the next two weeks 🤔 

The latest breaking news. The departure date just has to be delayed a few days. All it needs is for Scotty from Marketing to open for cruising. 🤞

"All vaccinated interstate and international arrivals can enter Tasmania without a need for quarantine from December 15, as long as they have returned a negative COVID-19 test, the state government has announced." Source ABC

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The latest breaking news. The departure date just has to be delayed a few days. All it needs is for Scotty from Marketing to open for cruising. 🤞

"All vaccinated interstate and international arrivals can enter Tasmania without a need for quarantine from December 15, as long as they have returned a negative COVID-19 test, the state government has announced." Source ABC

Woohoo, that’s one hurdle jumped, now for the other 175,658  😂 

• Like 1

Will this be a chance to get cruising back up and running for the 21/22 cruise season? 🤞 A decision on restarting is rumoured to be imminent.

On Wednesday, the Biosecurity Amendment (Enhanced Risk Management) Bill 2021 is planned to be introduced into the House of Representatives. Parliament ends on this Thursday, and it is not planning to sit again until the 22rd of November. The proposed changes are detailed here, if you have a few minutes to waste. 😉 Source Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Will this be a chance to get cruising back up and running for the 21/22 cruise season? 🤞 A decision on restarting is rumoured to be imminent.

On Wednesday, the Biosecurity Amendment (Enhanced Risk Management) Bill 2021 is planned to be introduced into the House of Representatives. Parliament ends on this Thursday, and it is not planning to sit again until the 22rd of November. The proposed changes are detailed here, if you have a few minutes to waste. 😉 Source Bill

I couldn't find the consideration for the passenger count, although part 3, 3(a) repeals restrictions on vessels entering Australian territory, and reinforces pre-arrival reporting, sic. "vessels that arrive at a landing place or port in Australian territory on or after the commencement of this item".

As there is no consideration for international passengers, I wonder if there may be a divergence from CLIA's plans (let's be frank - the government have completely ignored them for 2 years) - international cruising may be reintroduced from the get-go, just in localised bubbles, such as Singapore - Australia, NZ - Australia.

Who knows. Still hopeless...

2 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

I couldn't find the consideration for the passenger count, although part 3, 3(a) repeals restrictions on vessels entering Australian territory, and reinforces pre-arrival reporting, sic. "vessels that arrive at a landing place or port in Australian territory on or after the commencement of this item".

As there is no consideration for international passengers, I wonder if there may be a divergence from CLIA's plans (let's be frank - the government have completely ignored them for 2 years) - international cruising may be reintroduced from the get-go, just in localised bubbles, such as Singapore - Australia, NZ - Australia.

Who knows. Still hopeless...

Could it be that there is no restriction on international passengers because currently they aren’t allowed in? Then once the borders open to international tourists they can also cruise?

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Could it be that there is no restriction on international passengers because currently they aren’t allowed in? Then once the borders open to international tourists they can also cruise?

International passengers or international crew are still considered internationals, as they are not deemed marine workers, afaik. All foreign flagged vessels require international crew, particularly those that relocate to Australia for the wave season.

The national roadmap and qld's plan suggest >90% vaxxed for international cruises to resume, some states are close to hitting this target already. If the plan is to debate until Thursday what targets should be hit, then allow recess until 22nd November, I suspect the outcome might be "hit 90% vax in your state and any type of cruises can enter, provided they contain fully vaxxed passengers, and your state accepts consequences". 

But still, who knows...

Edited by ollyoeno

Someone just posted on FB that they had received an email saying their Feb Coral Princess NZ cruise has been cancelled. It's not showing in the Princess cancellations list yet, and there hasn't been any mention of any of the other Coral Princess cruises being cancelled yet. 

I suspect the NZ one was cancelled as a result of NZ's ban on cruise ships extending until mid-late 2022.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Someone just posted on FB that they had received an email saying their Feb Coral Princess NZ cruise has been cancelled. It's not showing in the Princess cancellations list yet, and there hasn't been any mention of any of the other Coral Princess cruises being cancelled yet. 

I suspect the NZ one was cancelled as a result of NZ's ban on cruise ships extending until mid-late 2022.

I note on the Princess website a lot of the Coral Princess cruises are reading 'Currently not Available'. Who knows what all this means really.

53 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I note on the Princess website a lot of the Coral Princess cruises are reading 'Currently not Available'. Who knows what all this means really.

Found the answer -

We are extending our pause in cruise vacations in Australia/New Zealand to March 14, 2022 due to the uncertainty around the timing for a return of cruising in the region.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

They are desperate to do the world cruise. But where will they be allowed to visit? 

Even the first of the not-cancelled March cruises, the Round Australia cruise, will probably have to change if some of the states, especially WA, don't open their borders.