Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

40 minutes ago, mr walker said:

yes just saw now on book of faces that RC have cancelled all Ovation cruises 13Dec21 thru 31Mar22.

Will have to look at 22-23 season to use our FCC now.

Don't normally quote myself, but just saw new info:

The good news is that a new 2021-2022 Australian domestic program will go on sale Thursday 5th August 2021 from midday AEST, featuring a range of 2- to 10-night coastal cruises from 13th December 2021 to 31st March 2022 on Ovation of the Seas departing from Sydney. The exciting new itineraries include visits to ports such as Eden, Hobart, Adelaide, Brisbane, Kangaroo Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, as well as scenic cruising of the Great Barrier Reef, Willis Island and the South Coast of New South Wales.

So I guess that means that they don't expect any international cruises to be allowed, but are hoping for domestic ones to take place. or maybe they have just reposted old news that is no longer relevant - I am confused.

Edited by mr walker
clarify
  • Like 1

From Facebook.

A clear pathway for the return of cruising is yet to be established by the Australian Government. As a result, we’ve reviewed our Australia 2021-2022 season, and unfortunately, we have made the decision to cancel the following sailings: - Ovation of the Seas’ sailings from Sydney from 13 December 2021 – 31 March 2022 inclusive We know this news is disappointing, and we’re sorry for the impact to your holiday plans. Our guests and crew remain our number one priorities and we are reaching out to affected guests and travel partners to share further details and address any questions or concerns. Please keep an eye out for an email from us or head to our website for further information: http://*****/RoyalCaribbeanOperationsUpdate. We are proactively engaging with Federal and State governments to recommence cruising in Australia and will provide updates as they come to hand. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and continued loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard soon.

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

From Facebook.

A clear pathway for the return of cruising is yet to be established by the Australian Government. As a result, we’ve reviewed our Australia 2021-2022 season, and unfortunately, we have made the decision to cancel the following sailings: - Ovation of the Seas’ sailings from Sydney from 13 December 2021 – 31 March 2022 inclusive We know this news is disappointing, and we’re sorry for the impact to your holiday plans. Our guests and crew remain our number one priorities and we are reaching out to affected guests and travel partners to share further details and address any questions or concerns. Please keep an eye out for an email from us or head to our website for further information: http://*****/RoyalCaribbeanOperationsUpdate. We are proactively engaging with Federal and State governments to recommence cruising in Australia and will provide updates as they come to hand. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and continued loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard soon.

Thanks Mic, in other words the ship ain't coming over the horizon.

Hi

yes got my email this morning.

our little Christmas cruise from Sydney to eden and back to Sydney…cancelled.

thought this would happen but lived in hope.

glad I booked the coral expedition cruise in March from Melbourne to Fremantle.   Assuming ofcourse WA let us in but surely ….surely by March they will have opened their borders.

i got a message from a friend in WA who did Broome to Darwin.   Only 25 people on board and was surprised they went ahead.   Ofcourse nobody from NSW and VIC were on board!

eileen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Don't normally quote myself, but just saw new info:

The good news is that a new 2021-2022 Australian domestic program will go on sale Thursday 5th August 2021 from midday AEST, featuring a range of 2- to 10-night coastal cruises from 13th December 2021 to 31st March 2022 on Ovation of the Seas departing from Sydney. The exciting new itineraries include visits to ports such as Eden, Hobart, Adelaide, Brisbane, Kangaroo Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, as well as scenic cruising of the Great Barrier Reef, Willis Island and the South Coast of New South Wales.

So I guess that means that they don't expect any international cruises to be allowed, but are hoping for domestic ones to take place. or maybe they have just reposted old news that is no longer relevant - I am confused.

So similar to Silversea, they have cancelled there Australian (international) season but now are selling purely Australian based sailings. Virtually exactly same ports. SS were wanting ridiculous prices to do a purely Aust cruise, I’m not sure how well they sold.

Ive just had a phone call from my TA in regards to our NZ Antarctica cruise in January, we were going to pull the plug and just transfer to another sailing before they sold out. He advised Ponant had been discussing with NZ about a bubble cruise (i.e fly from OZ directly to Dunedin, board ship directly etc), however things aren’t progressing and they are now looking at the logistics of moving the embarkation port to Hobart. 

As it has been discussed many times, about the restart of cruising in OZ, trials would most likely start with small ship cruising. Maybe maybe maybe, a 200 person expedition ship with no ports might just be a go??

Ponant will let us know if the cruise is cancelled two months prior to sailing, so we will have an answer in the next few weeks.

Next to go will be the Coral Princess cruuses from mid-January. The first of those must be coming up to final payment soon so the announcement should happen in the next couple of weeks. I wonder how many of her cruises they'll cancel. Everything right through to October next year including the world cruise or just a few more through to March?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

My feelings go out to you and your mates graham.

Another year out of work.
It’s annoying for us but serious for you blokes.

Thanks for the concern, fortunately for me I do the cruise work as a fun retirement job that I really enjoy and not necessarily for the “financial gain” so apart from a little less extra cruise cash and a heap of boredom, I am all good. The problem will be that with a two season void  and the last industry to go back a lot of our experienced staff will find other work and be lost and newbies will have to trained up from scratch……..Oh well,  bring on October 22.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Next to go will be the Coral Princess cruuses from mid-January. The first of those must be coming up to final payment soon so the announcement should happen in the next couple of weeks. I wonder how many of her cruises they'll cancel. Everything right through to October next year including the world cruise or just a few more through to March?

My pick is they will only cancel the ones they have too, Jan, Feb and 1/ 2 of March.

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My pick is they will only cancel the ones they have too, Jan, Feb and 1/ 2 of March.

Yes probably, and that spreads the load for processing the refunds etc better.

Although I can't see the March Round Australia going ahead, dammit! Mainly because they may not be able to get all the states to agree to having cruise ships visiting.

• Like 1

Yes ….Celebrity cancelled all their Asian cruises for the beginning of 2022.   We had a 2020 booked transferred to 2022. Again cancelled.   Fed up with them and put a note on Cruise critic and got a nasty reply from some American but now I see he is complaining that he can’t get his preferred cabin on Celebrity for the same cruise in 2023.

I have rebooked with NCL on the same cruise so hope it actually happens in April 2022. 

I hope you get your cruise around OZ… WA could be the main problem.   My husband said Financial Review said today WA may not open until mid 2022.,,   +Surely WA residents want to travel outside their state without 14 days isolation!!

eileen

3 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Surely WA residents want to travel outside their state without 14 days isolation!!

From the people I know the answer would be Yes, with many of us having our vaccinations as soon as eligible.

However there are quite a few who are happy to just travel within the State and don't see the need to open the borders "too soon". They don't seem to have family overseas or interstate so don't have that understanding or compassion for those of us who want to see other family.

I hope that all goes well as the rest of Australia open ups and that will prompt those in WA who want to keep locked in decide they want to join the rest of Australia and the world.

Oceania has not cancelled their world cruise on Insignia that has ports in NZ and Australia yet.  The final payment date for those boarding in Miami is Oct 22 - for those of us getting on in LA it is Nov 8.  I don't believe there is a chance we will dock in any of those ports but Oceania has not sent an updated itinerary yet.

6 hours ago, frantic36 said:

From the people I know the answer would be Yes, with many of us having our vaccinations as soon as eligible.

However there are quite a few who are happy to just travel within the State and don't see the need to open the borders "too soon". They don't seem to have family overseas or interstate so don't have that understanding or compassion for those of us who want to see other family.

I hope that all goes well as the rest of Australia open ups and that will prompt those in WA who want to keep locked in decide they want to join the rest of Australia and the world.

WA unfortunately won't open up with the emperor in power. He obviously is not going to tow the line in respect of the national cabinet agreements by all the premiers. This will put domestic cruising in Australia, particularly the big ones of 28 days ect around Aus in serious jeopardy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, portcbob said:

WA unfortunately won't open up with the emperor in power. He obviously is not going to tow the line in respect of the national cabinet agreements by all the premiers. This will put domestic cruising in Australia, particularly the big ones of 28 days ect around Aus in serious jeopardy.

Yes it's a long way from Adelaide to Darwin with no stops in between 😮 I suggest that the WA policy will make round Aus trips not viable, and at first there will be loops NSW/VIC/SA/TAS? QLD is an unknown - maybe just QLD cruises.