Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Hmmm, so if there was an imminent decision in the next week or so, you’d think the cruise lines would have held off, doesn’t sound promising.

Will be interesting to see what SS do, they tend to cancel later than others.

Ponant have cancelled everything in Aus/NZ except for the two Antarctica cruises, we've been told we should know this week.

Can understand Princess cancelling the NZ cruises, as i think everyone agrees there is no chance, but I’m sure they want to sail the round Australia cruise

50 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Hmmm, so if there was an imminent decision in the next week or so, you’d think the cruise lines would have held off, doesn’t sound promising.

Will be interesting to see what SS do, they tend to cancel later than others.

Ponant have cancelled everything in Aus/NZ except for the two Antarctica cruises, we've been told we should know this week.

Can understand Princess cancelling the NZ cruises, as i think everyone agrees there is no chance, but I’m sure they want to sail the round Australia cruise

It takes about three months to get a ship passenger-ready so I think they've run out of time. Plus final payments would have been due in the next week or so. Princess has been very good about cancelling before final payments are due.

They've got a bit more leeway before making the decision about the big cruises but final payment on the Round Australia cruise in March is due around Xmas. 

Princess could do quite well running Top End and Queensland Coast cruises over winter so even if the Hawaii/Tahiti runs and the World Cruise is cancelled they could offer something if the governments ever get their acts together (I wanted to say something a bit more blunt than that but I didn't want to get banned!🤣).

But I can't see them being allowed to operate a 28 night cruise as their first cruise here so I think the Round Australia one in March is almost certain to be cancelled. If we're lucky they might offer shorter alternatives though.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It takes about three months to get a ship passenger-ready so I think they've run out of time. Plus final payments would have been due in the next week or so. Princess has been very good about cancelling before final payments are due.

They've got a bit more leeway before making the decision about the big cruises but final payment on the Round Australia cruise in March is due around Xmas. 

Princess could do quite well running Top End and Queensland Coast cruises over winter so even if the Hawaii/Tahiti runs and the World Cruise is cancelled they could offer something if the governments ever get their acts together (I wanted to say something a bit more blunt than that but I didn't want to get banned!🤣).

But I can't see them being allowed to operate a 28 night cruise as their first cruise here so I think the Round Australia one in March is almost certain to be cancelled. If we're lucky they might offer shorter alternatives though.

With our travel bubble to Singapore there could be some interesting cruises.

3 hours ago, stki said:

Our P & O Australian open cruise has just been cancelled. Pause now up till 14/2/2022

Sad for you but not unexpected, the cruiselines have all said that they need at least 60-90 days to ready their ships, and they would also need to get crew and have them vaccinated.

1 Jan 2022 is 65 days away.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

With our travel bubble to Singapore there could be some interesting cruises.

Stand by for cruise offers, our international border is down from next Monday, flights to Singapore are from Mid November but that may be brought forward now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sad for you but not unexpected, the cruiselines have all said that they need at least 60-90 days to ready their ships, and they would also need to get crew and have them vaccinated.

1 Jan 2022 is 65 days away.

Yes fully expected it, only paid a $1 deposit, which will be refunded 🙂

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Stand by for cruise offers, our international border is down from next Monday, flights to Singapore are from Mid November but that may be brought forward now.

Arn't the current cruises from Singapore, only for Singaporeans?

Now to be able to get travel insurance for cruises

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I’m not sure where the SS ship is currently (I think the Muse?), but Ponant still have two ships in Noumea so much easier for them to get here, but agree if the ships are too far away there’s no chance.

will be interesting to see the next few months and what might be offered.

10 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Singapore Cruise Society, has mentioned that Carnival Spirit is in dry dock in Dubai. Apparently she is getting the new paint job.

Michael 

‘I think they are just upgrading carnival rust stain theme.

image.jpeg.af581a697d8ff620c3b60dbdda759d56.jpeg

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stki said:

I think we can expect some good incentives for us  Ozzie’s

Fly,stay and cruise.

To bad our government isn’t so forward thinking.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Pass the word Mic.

We are doing a gaol break   ,  Singapore here we come 

11 hours ago, stki said:

I read an article from American who did one of their cruises to nowhere and a NZ couple on YouTube posted their experience as well so I think internationals are allowed. According to the American, Singapore is enforcing all cruise companies to include covid insurance in the fare price though they didn't detail the terms and conditions of the insurance. 

I was listening to a ABC radio thingo about traveling OS and particularly Singapore.

There is still a few issues and hidden costs.

In Singapore a Covid test for a family of 4 is about $4,000 if you’re not a local.   And that’s family discounted.

AND if you’re positive you have to quarantine until a negative test.

I don’t know if insurance would cover that but even if it does it would be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I was listening to a ABC radio thingo about traveling OS and particularly Singapore.

There is still a few issues and hidden costs.

In Singapore a Covid test for a family of 4 is about $4,000 if you’re not a local.   And that’s family discounted.

FACT CHECK

That quoted figure did not look right to me, so I checked the Singapore Government Safe Travel website. Source.

"All travellers are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test upon arrival in Singapore; each test costs S$160 (including GST)."

These are some of the requirements reported by the Singaporeans in Sydney FB group for those looking to go to Singapore. Full link here for those interested:

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/travel-checklist and TLDR summary below:

• take out travel insurance with min coverage of SGD$30k for 'COVID-19 related medical treatment and hospitalisation costs'. 
  • apply for a Vaccinated Travel Pass
  • download Singapore's TraceTogether app to facilitate contact tracing
  • booked on designated VTL (Vaccinated Travel Lane) flights. These have already been released by Singapore Airlines, 4 daily flights (2 from Syd and 2 from Melb)
  • 3 PCR tests (1st test within 48 hours of departure to Singapore, 2nd test at Changi Airport with self isolation being a requirement. 3rd test within 72 hours of departure to Australia).  Each test is around $150 so you're looking at $450 per person and reading between the lines, I'm guessing not covered by travel insurance?

As much as I would love to go back, there are so many hoops to jump through right now with no guarantee that no further changes will be made.

Edited by Snoopkat
Edit - included checklist from the Singapore Government safe travel website for those interested.

1 minute ago, Snoopkat said:

As much as I would love to go back, there are so many hoops to jump through right now with no guarantee that no further changes will be made.

Totally agree. Now is not the time for me to be travelling overseas. It is hard enough even here in Oz, with borders slamming shut at short notice.😡

4 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

• 3 PCR tests (1st test within 48 hours of departure to Singapore, 2nd test at Changi Airport with self isolation being a requirement. 3rd test within 72 hours of departure to Australia). My question is where are people meant to self isolate after the 2nd test, at the airport hotel? in a hub somewhere? Each test is around $150 so you're looking at $450 per person and reading between the lines, I'm guessing not covered by travel insurance?

My sister & BIL were looking to travel to Singapore & spoke with TA. On the test on arrival in Singapore, they were advised that they would have to remain in the airport until negative result, without the logistics being made clear, nor what happens if you get a positive result. I guess you become like that guy in the movie, living in the airport, as you can't enter Singapore, nor can you return to Australia until you get a negative test.

They decided to pass

The govt has removed the blanket Do Not Travel warning. It will be a country by country determination from now on.

However, the current list of approved countries is rather short:

• The United Kingdom
  • The United States of America
  • Canada
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Germany
  • South Africa 

Singapore to be added soon, with moves by Fiji and Thailand.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-27/where-fully-vaccinated-people-can-travel-without-quarantine/100573556

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

The govt has removed the blanket Do Not Travel warning. It will be a country by country determination from now on.

However, the current list of approved countries is rather short:

• The United Kingdom
  • The United States of America
  • Canada
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Germany
  • South Africa 

Singapore to be added soon, with moves by Fiji and Thailand.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-27/where-fully-vaccinated-people-can-travel-without-quarantine/100573556

I had a look at the list and it made me curious how they decide on the Do Not Travel list when places like Norway and Sweden are included. Their recent numbers are no worse and better then some places that are approved.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

FACT CHECK

That quoted figure did not look right to me, so I checked the Singapore Government Safe Travel website. Source.

"All travellers are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test upon arrival in Singapore; each test costs S$160 (including GST)."

I don’t know where this bloke got the $4,000 then.

He also quoted $2,000 for a family of 4 to Fiji.

I suppose there would be multiple tests during a trip.

But it looks like to much hassle to me especially if you get stuck.