Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know where this bloke got the $4,000 then.

He also quoted $2,000 for a family of 4 to Fiji.

I suppose there would be multiple tests during a trip.

But it looks like to much hassle to me especially if you get stuck.

Perhaps the $4000 included the quarantine costs.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps the $4000 included the quarantine costs.

Nay the bloke just said that’s for the tests and related costs for a family of 4 to Singapore.

Just say you where going to do a fly/stay/cruise.

That could add up close to that for a family of 4.

I wonder why they didn’t mention cost of test on leaving Australia in that report.

Looked up my friendly local:

$145 for swab

$195 for swab and blood test (as some countries require that.

Specifies these are not covered by Medicare. Additional documentation is required, so normal free testing places not acceptable.

I did see prices of $350 on weekends for swabs.

Edited by Docker123
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I wonder why they didn’t mention cost of test on leaving Australia in that report.

$145 for swab

Specifies these are not covered by Medicare. Additional documentation is required, so normal free testing places not acceptable.

I did see prices of $350 on weekends for

Wow I thought it was free , I haven’t had a test at all so far.

It also seems you have to stay in a approved hotel which would probably charge.

Also insurance costs extra I believe.

Edited by Chiliburn

21 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

$145 for swab

I did see prices of $350 on weekends for swabs.

I think many people believe it is free.

I know of some that have been able to get a written report emailed to them on request after getting a free test, however it wont be long till the labs refuse without paying a fee.

You need a written report with your name DOB etc (matches your passport), not just a text with you’re negative as there are no identifying details on those.

Some airlines /countries may take the rapid antigen tests which will be sold in supermarkets form next week. 

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Wow I thought it was free , I haven’t had a test at all so far.

It also seems you have to stay in a approved hotel which would probably charge.

Also insurance costs extra I believe.

If you go to a state government clinic or pop up site, the test is free but if you need a negative test to travel overseas, you pay for it yourself. 

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

If you go to a state government clinic or pop up site, the test is free but if you need a negative test to travel overseas, you pay for it yourself. 

That overseas holiday is adding up Leigh .

How would you go with a grand tour of Europe?

I think I may stay at home for a while.

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That overseas holiday is adding up Leigh .

How would you go with a grand tour of Europe?

I think I may stay at home for a while.

I think many will think like that Phillip. My main concern will be travel insurance to cover Covid while on a cruise. Our passports will also need to be renewed before we travel next year.

23 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think many will think like that Phillip. My main concern will be travel insurance to cover Covid while on a cruise. Our passports will also need to be renewed before we travel next year.

I might have to stay in my cave a little longer. 😜

12 Spectacular Cave Structures We'd Like To Live In | Underground hotel,  Unusual hotels, Hotel

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Pass the word Mic.

We are doing a gaol break   ,  Singapore here we come 

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Singapore is open for us from 8 November 2021. 

Looks like no gaol break for a while mic,  it’s to risky.

Who’s turn is it to drop the soap in the shower block tonight?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The govt has removed the blanket Do Not Travel warning. It will be a country by country determination from now on.

However, the current list of approved countries is rather short:

• The United Kingdom
  • The United States of America
  • Canada
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Germany
  • South Africa 

Singapore to be added soon, with moves by Fiji and Thailand.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-27/where-fully-vaccinated-people-can-travel-without-quarantine/100573556

No UAE on the list? That is going to make getting to Europe a little complicated. 

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

No UAE on the list? That is going to make getting to Europe a little complicated. 

Qantas is flying to London direct from Darwin.

Thai is flying from Sydney via Bangkok and Phuket with connections to Europe.

Singapore Airlines is flying via Singapore (from Sydney & Melboure)

I am sure some other airlines will be flying via either Asia or US to get to Europe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Qantas is flying to London direct from Darwin.

Thai is flying from Sydney via Bangkok and Phuket with connections to Europe.

Singapore Airlines is flying via Singapore (from Sydney & Melboure)

I am sure some other airlines will be flying via either Asia or US to get to Europe.

Thanks for that. Europe via USA I think would be a little long for me😂 but Asia would be more doable. For certain countries it can be the more convenient than via Arabian Peninsula😉

12 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Just had my Cunard cruise on QE2 from UK to Singapore cancelled, Feb 2022. Strangely, it has happened on the day the CDC announced the changes in January to long international cruises...

Carnival reallocating ships much?

Was your cruise a sector on a world cruise? If so, Cunard probably decided a world cruise wasn't viable yet. That doesn't auger well for the 2022 Princess world cruise in May.

23 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Not sure why anyone would be going to Singapore at the moment with them having their highest ever covid numbers - over 5,000 yesterday! A huge number given they only have a population of around 5.5 million.

I am double dosed so would not normally worry about getting Covid.  But it seems asymptomatic people could pass the virus around which would be unnoticed other than these tests.  So having the wrong person breathe on you at Coles could ruin your whole trip.  This is the scary thing to me.

I hope this PCR thing gets scrapped for fully vaxxed, make it an either/or option.  Get fully vaxxed OR provide a negative test.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:17 AM, By The Bay said:

Will this be a chance to get cruising back up and running for the 21/22 cruise season? 🤞 A decision on restarting is rumoured to be imminent.

On Wednesday, the Biosecurity Amendment (Enhanced Risk Management) Bill 2021 is planned to be introduced into the House of Representatives. Parliament ends on this Thursday, and it is not planning to sit again until the 22rd of November. The proposed changes are detailed here, if you have a few minutes to waste. 😉 Source Bill

So how did that bill get along?

Did it go before parliament?

Our premier keeps saying cruises should be happening but doesn’t seem to want to tell us why and who is responsible .

I suppose he doesn’t want to embarrass his mate.

40 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So how did that bill get along?

Did it go before parliament?

It is listed as still before the Before House of Representatives . Source

The EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM has this comment. If you are interested and have nothing else to do, click on the link for more details.

"International vessels at Australia’s borders have emerged as a key risk pathway for the entry of infectious diseases into Australian territory, including COVID-19 cases on cruise passenger ships and commercial vessels. The Inspector-General of Biosecurity’s report Confidence testing for at-border delivery of critical human biosecurity functions - Ruby Princess cruise ship incident (Inspector-General’s Report) examined the management of this risk. The ability to effectively respond to and manage biosecurity risks entering Australia through the maritime and aviation pathways will be a significant consideration in reopening Australia’s borders. This Bill would strengthen the legislative framework for international arrivals via these key pathways. The amendments would contribute to Australia’s pandemic preparedness and response at the border. New requirements for pratique and pre-arrival reporting aim to specifically support the safe recovery of tourism and related industries."

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Both Houses do not sit again until the 22rd of November, and then only for 8 days. To pass, it needs to be passed by both Houses.😟 It would appear that it is not a high priority.😒

I don’t think scumo will be getting many cruise votes next election.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"International vessels at Australia’s borders have emerged as a key risk pathway for the entry of infectious diseases into Australian territory, including COVID-19 cases on cruise passenger ships and commercial vessels."

Which is true in part. Commercial vessels are still a big concern but we're now almost at the end of 2021, not at the beginning of 2020, and cruise lines have instigated strict Covid protocols which appear to be working very well overseas. Plus if cruising is restarted in a sensible manner ships will not be going to and from international ports for quite some time. As usual our government is stuck in the past with blinkers on. They obviously can't understand that cruise lines actually want to avoid having cases onboard and in the rare circumstances that it does happen they have isolation areas prepared and sufficient medical staff to deal with it. With all passengers and crew fully vaccinated the risk of an uncontrolled outbreak like that on Ruby Princess is close to zero.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

As usual our government is stuck in the past with blinkers on.

For the government there is only one thing that matters, the election early next year. Everything is judged on the basis of whether it helps or hinders re-election.

The government's polling and market research will have told them which issues need to be neutralised before the election. It's apparent that restarting cruising is not one of them.

• Like 3